RR Podcast: With Paul Reid & Charlie Methven - submit your questions/topics to discuss

I think RR asked most of the right questions, they avoided some of the questions put forward because they have been asked and answered multiple times. They did it in a respectful way. Which is right and proper.
I think we are fortunate to regularly hear one of our owners talk about our club despite not liking some of the answers. I appreciate CM taking the time to do it.
I can’t find anything to get outraged about from this podcast and yet it seems most on here are. I hate being in L1 and find it unacceptable that we are here. These owners did not put us here. They have made us an attractive proposition for investors or buyers and we will get a crack at promotion this year. Sacking Ross was correct.
Most of the answers CM have I think were accurate.
I think his problem is that he is not one of us. He is absolutely spot on about personal abuse being vile but when he criticises the match attending fans he is on thin ice. We criticise the atmosphere on here all the time but are understandably aggrieved when an outsider does it.
The U18s and 23s are losing because of loans, 1st team squad promotions, and poaching at 15yo. Again not their fault.
I don’t like it when CM says anything bad about our attending fans. I don’t like that we are not bossing L1. I don’t like that SD has gone off the grid.
Our sense of entitlement, often outraged entitlement doesn’t give us the right to attack SD for going quiet, attack CM for saying some unpalatable truths, attack RR for being considered in their access to SAFC.
Our academy is suffering because it been neglected. They cut costs to one of the most important sections of the club. If we are losing kids because their are being poached, why aren't we doing the same? And why aren't we reporting these clubs? There has been cases of clubs getting into serious trouble over this. Also, why aren't we linking up with junior clubs in the region? Or in Scotland, Wales or Ireland? Why aren't we out looking at kids at Gateshead, South Shields, Darlington, Hartlepool? The fact is they have let the academy go to pot. They have no blueprint for running the club. They haven't got a clue how to run a football club.
Well the bits about us competing with Man City at u23 level and about Parkinson’s exploits keeping Colchester in the championship just for starters. Then speak to @KStephenson about his accuracy with regards to what happens with promising young players. I’m not totally convinced that he’s saying things that aren’t true deliberately. I just think he’s a classic pub bore. His confidence WAY outstrips his knowledge of the game.
I was just about to say this.

Last edited:

Our academy is suffering because it been neglected. They cut costs to one of the most important sections of the club. If we are losing kids because their are being poached, why aren't we doing the same? And why aren't we reporting these clubs? There has been cases of clubs getting into serious trouble over this. Also, why aren't we linking up with junior clubs in the region? Or in Scotland, Wales or Ireland? Why aren't we out looking at kids at Gateshead, South Shields, Darlington, Hartlepool? The fact is they have let the academy go to pot. They have no blueprint for running the club. They haven't got a clue how to run a football club.
We have had freelance scouts so we don't know about if we have been looking at Hartlepool etc

I think RR asked most of the right questions, they avoided some of the questions put forward because they have been asked and answered multiple times. They did it in a respectful way. Which is right and proper.
I think we are fortunate to regularly hear one of our owners talk about our club despite not liking some of the answers. I appreciate CM taking the time to do it.
I can’t find anything to get outraged about from this podcast and yet it seems most on here are. I hate being in L1 and find it unacceptable that we are here. These owners did not put us here. They have made us an attractive proposition for investors or buyers and we will get a crack at promotion this year. Sacking Ross was correct.
Most of the answers CM have I think were accurate.
I think his problem is that he is not one of us. He is absolutely spot on about personal abuse being vile but when he criticises the match attending fans he is on thin ice. We criticise the atmosphere on here all the time but are understandably aggrieved when an outsider does it.
The U18s and 23s are losing because of loans, 1st team squad promotions, and poaching at 15yo. Again not their fault.
I don’t like it when CM says anything bad about our attending fans. I don’t like that we are not bossing L1. I don’t like that SD has gone off the grid.
Our sense of entitlement, often outraged entitlement doesn’t give us the right to attack SD for going quiet, attack CM for saying some unpalatable truths, attack RR for being considered in their access to SAFC.

How many out on loan? Diamond at Harrogate would make a difference, arguably Robson would be in the first team, not sure Hackett and Hunter will have made such a difference, is Connolly still out on loan? He may have made a difference in terms of creating chances and scoring. Hume, Gooch, Embleton etc were all part of the squad that got thumped a fair few times in the last few seasons including the 0-5 by the Mags. The fact we are losing 15 year olds is partly their fault too. As CM is quick to constantly remind us, we can't contract these lads but they can and have been touting the names around the clubs in the hope of claiming the compo. They CAN reject an approach from clubs to speak to the players but never seem to.

We have had freelance scouts so we don't know about if we have been looking at Hartlepool etc
Are these scout tied to the club or will they be working for other clubs? I'd imagine if they are freelance they'll be working with a number of clubs and will tell a number of clubs if they see a good young player. That doesn't answer any of my questions. Why aren't we linking up with junior clubs in the region?

I don’t know KS so can’t comment on his version but I do know several academy staff members so have a decent version of it myself.
Think you’re right about the Colchester thing but the context of that still stands. Getting them out of L1 was very impressive.
As for the pub bore bit, maybe right, I don’t see it like that but it’s your opinion so fair enough. I’d still rather hear it than not.
I honestly think we are all struggling with not bombing this shit league and CM is the target of that frustration. Some of that he’s brought on himself but he did say this on day 1.
I struggle with methven. I don’t blame him as much as I blame Donald as, ultimately, the responsibility for strategy and key appointments rests with SD. I used to think he was a polished PR performer but there’s been a general build up of careless words, imprecise phrases and inaccuracies which I would generously characterise as him simply being a gobshite. The alternative is far less kind.

I struggle with methven. I don’t blame him as much as I blame Donald as, ultimately, the responsibility for strategy and key appointments rests with SD. I used to think he was a polished PR performer but there’s been a general build up of careless words, imprecise phrases and inaccuracies which I would generously characterise as him simply being a gobshite. The alternative is far less kind.
Fair enough Cabbage. I’m not far off that but am still just over the line of supportive/hopeful.

How many out on loan? Diamond at Harrogate would make a difference, arguably Robson would be in the first team, not sure Hackett and Hunter will have made such a difference, is Connolly still out on loan? He may have made a difference in terms of creating chances and scoring. Hume, Gooch, Embleton etc were all part of the squad that got thumped a fair few times in the last few seasons including the 0-5 by the Mags. The fact we are losing 15 year olds is partly their fault too. As CM is quick to constantly remind us, we can't contract these lads but they can and have been touting the names around the clubs in the hope of claiming the compo. They CAN reject an approach from clubs to speak to the players but never seem to.
Think that list of players in the U23s would definitely make a difference. Difference of opinion.
How can you claim they are touting names about? Serious question. What evidence is there to support that claim?
The reason they don’t reject approaches is because it’s the right way to do it. Just as many leave through parents telling SAFC having been tapped up.

RR are being fannies here if they're just abandoning these podcasts because fans are frustrated with the questions not being asked. Proper weird reaction from a fan focused poddy. They can disagree, or agree with the criticism, but to full in stop doing them just makes them seem fragile. It's up to them in the end though.

RR are being fannies here if they're just abandoning these podcasts because fans are frustrated with the questions not being asked. Proper weird reaction from a fan focused poddy. They can disagree, or agree with the criticism, but to full in stop doing them just makes them seem fragile. It's up to them in the end though.

This isn't a knee jerk reaction. We were reluctant to do another after the last one, and the reaction to this has pretty much finished off any desire we had to bring club officials onto the Podcast. As I've just said to someone on Twitter - People clearly feel we aren't making the most of these interviews and that's fair enough. Perhaps if we stop doing them, someone else will pick them up and do a better job of it. That's fair isn't it?

I’m very unimpressed by Reid the twice I’ve heard him. I can buy the argument that the academy has been neglected because his appointment is not confidence giving. Having said that we win nearly everything up to the age of 15.
Some of what you say just doesn’t make sense though. Poaching our talent from the very successful academy up to the age of 15 is entirely legal. It’s part of the deal of being Cat1. There’s no wrongdoing to report. We are not doing the same because we are L1.
I like the idea of links to regional clubs btw. It’s a massive error if we don’t have that in place. I’m not sure so can’t comment.

Think that list of players in the U23s would definitely make a difference. Difference of opinion.
How can you claim they are touting names about? Serious question. What evidence is there to support that claim?
The reason they don’t reject approaches is because it’s the right way to do it. Just as many leave through parents telling SAFC having been tapped up.
Less than the fan abuse that Donald is getting.

Parents have posted on here saying they were told they had no choice in the matter.

I’m very unimpressed by Reid the twice I’ve heard him. I can buy the argument that the academy has been neglected because his appointment is not confidence giving. Having said that we win nearly everything up to the age of 15.
Some of what you say just doesn’t make sense though. Poaching our talent from the very successful academy up to the age of 15 is entirely legal. It’s part of the deal of being Cat1. There’s no wrongdoing to report. We are not doing the same because we are L1.
I like the idea of links to regional clubs btw. It’s a massive error if we don’t have that in place. I’m not sure so can’t comment.
I think by that he meant the way CM tried to explain it, friends at England camp!, that way would certainly not be ‘legal’...
Don’t know but to be clear. I’m assuming this because of the comments last year regarding Liverpool.
What comments?

This isn't a knee jerk reaction. We were reluctant to do another after the last one, and the reaction to this has pretty much finished off any desire we had to bring club officials onto the Podcast. As I've just said to someone on Twitter - People clearly feel we aren't making the most of these interviews and that's fair enough. Perhaps if we stop doing them, someone else will pick them up and do a better job of it. That's fair isn't it?

I like to hear from club officials on the podcast and sure lots of other fans do too. Be a shame if they stopped.

Less than the fan abuse that Donald is getting.

Parents have posted on here saying they were told they had no choice in the matter.
I haven’t seen that but you claim it, so I accept in good faith. It’s still a leap from kids being released to other clubs to a claim of touting about. I haven’t seen any evidence of that.
I think by that he meant the way CM tried to explain it, friends at England camp!, that way would certainly not be ‘legal’...

What comments?
Can you remember the stuff last year about Liverpool being honourable to deal with at this age group.

Last edited:
Can you remember the stuff last year about Liverpool being honourable to deal with at this age group.
Yeh. I remember.
All the more reason to tell the truth rather than spout the ‘nothing he can do’ line over & over.
And that make up silly stories of kids in England camps..
These interviews are supposed to find answers aren’t they, to fans questions, they might not always like the answer, but it’s better than someone trying to pull the wool.

Yeh. I remember.
All the more reason to tell the truth rather than spout the ‘nothing he can do’ line over & over.
And that make up silly stories of kids in England camps..
These interviews are supposed to find answers aren’t they, to fans questions, they might not always like the answer, but it’s better than someone trying to pull the wool.

I think he forgot to mention that the club need to accept the approach too...

Back