Roy in

Last edited:
Roy certainly deserves his chance.

I really liked the look of Olly Stone when he broke through last year. Reminds me of a taller quicker Peter Siddle.

Like Jack Leach as well.

Don’t think Rory Burns has what it takes hope I’m wrong.

Roy certainly deserves his chance.

I really liked the look of Olly Stone when he broke through last year. Reminds me of a taller quicker Peter Siddle.

Like Jack Leach as well.

Don’t think Rory Burns has what it takes hope I’m wrong.

Rory Burns is the only FC opener in that squad. Sibley scored 74 and 33 for the Lions against Australia and should play. Sorry but Denly is only in there because Joe Root is too chicken to bat three.

Leach is probably our best chance of negating Smith. He is relatively weak to left arm orthodox.

Last edited:
Disappointing news about Wood.

Should be a good contest this, as there are ashes places up for grabs
DIsappointing but not surprising. The lad is the new Simon Jones - brilliant bowler on his day but injury prone as fuck.
Reports I read said he'll miss at least 3 and probably 4 of the Ashes tests which effectively means he'll miss them all

Rory Burns is the only FC opener in that squad. Sibley scored 74 and 33 for the Lions against Australia and should play. Sorry but Denly is only in there because Joe Root is too chicken to bat three.

Leach is probably our best chance of negating Smith. He is relatively weak to left arm orthodox.
"Chicken" is a bit harsh. As Captain he wants to have a bit more down time by batting 4 rather than 3. If it gives him half an hour to clear his head then so be it

Last edited:
"Chicken" is a bit harsh. As Captain he wants to have a bit more down time by batting 4 rather than 3. If it gives him half an hour to clear his head then so be it
Personally I'd have Denley nowhere near the squad, in any capacity. I don't care if Root doesn't want to bat there - if people say the likes of Burns and Jennings aren't Test quality, they're streets ahead of Denley. Appalling player at that level.

Agree on Root, too. Personally I'd have him at three until we can find someone to settle there - but if it means he's less tired and stressed due to the captaincy, then fair enough.

Personally I'd have Denley nowhere near the squad, in any capacity. I don't care if Root doesn't want to bat there - if people say the likes of Burns and Jennings aren't Test quality, they're streets ahead of Denley. Appalling player at that level.

Agree on Root, too. Personally I'd have him at three until we can find someone to settle there - but if it means he's less tired and stressed due to the captaincy, then fair enough.
I wouldn't have had Root anywhere near the captaincy, it's not the job for him. Buttler is a far better reader of the game

Forgot after six months of success in white ball cricket, just how bare our Test options are, particularly the top order batting. Denly a shoo in at three ffs :rolleyes:
Tell ya what though, I enjoyed the WC, but I ain't half glad to be getting back to some proper cricket.

I wouldn't have had Root anywhere near the captaincy, it's not the job for him. Buttler is a far better reader of the game
That I thoroughly agree with.

Root seems more stressed as captain, maybe the job isn't for him.

By comparision, if you look at Morgan as captain, he's an island of calm, fully in charge and has a strategy. Exactly what you want in a leader. I don't see anything like that with root, I think he'll be far happier as simply a player.

But mind Buttler is on record as saying he didn't understand the dynamics of red ball cricket. Maybe he's learnt over the past 3 years.

Root seems more stressed as captain, maybe the job isn't for him.

By comparision, if you look at Morgan as captain, he's an island of calm, fully in charge and has a strategy. Exactly what you want in a leader. I don't see anything like that with root, I think he'll be far happier as simply a player.

But mind Buttler is on record as saying he didn't understand the dynamics of red ball cricket. Maybe he's learnt over the past 3 years.
I wonder if Ed Smith has given any thought to bringing Morgan back into the test team. I know he has a modest record but so did Mike Brearley

I still don’t think captaincy is for Root. I’d much rather he just focused on his batting. I would though have Roy in at 3, Root 4, Bairstow 5, then stokes butler Ali Archer Broad and Anderson. Opening is a problem but I think Burns deserves a chance as he was the least crap of the ones we’ve tried and didn’t fail majestically. Other opening spot I wouldn’t be returning to the same filth roundabout we usually do - and would disregard Jennings, hameed, robson, balance, etc as they’ve had their chance. Pick some kid in the lions and stick with them for a while, literally cannot be worse than the others on rotation, or go back to Rocky

Back