Round 5 - Motion. Voting, part 2 and comments

Picture of the Month?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: SMB Photography Competition Round 5 - Motion. Voting, part 2 and comments

Your voting doesn't represent your comment. Clyde's picture uses advanced skills (artificial representation). Janiep's picture is posed.

Just a comment. :)

dont we all use our advanced skills every month though? i dont get how that is artificial representation? all i done was use a tripod and a filter.

dont we all use our advanced skills every month though? i dont get how that is artificial representation? all i done was use a tripod and a filter.

But there is much more post processing undertaken with digital photography than there is with chemical.

Composed does not mean the same as posed.

It's all in the eye of the composer. ;)

But your style is great janiep and natural.

I dont like the posed, artificial or jiggery poked shots, so its the natural ones for me and the more minimalist the better. Ive voted along these lines every month and have seen the stuff I liked ignored in favour of poncey jazzy artificial pics but Im sticking to my guns and have voted for Clyde and a runner up vote for JanieP.

It's a photography competition ffs.

Photography is a medium of artistic expression as valid as any other. Objective realism is one genre and not the be all and end all of photography and that has been clear since the first photographs were ever taken.

But thanks for the constructive criticism.

Last edited:

I dont like the posed, artificial or jiggery poked shots, so its the natural ones for me and the more minimalist the better. Ive voted along these lines every month and have seen the stuff I liked ignored in favour of poncey jazzy artificial pics but Im sticking to my guns and have voted for Clyde and a runner up vote for JanieP.

Ouch.

No jiggery pokery with mine, just a macro lens and a flash, unless you count putting water in a dish as jiggery pokery.

Anyway, "posed" shots are just as relevant as "snaps" IMHO, it's a photography competition after all.

They're all "art".

Last edited:

In what way? It was entirely opportunistic.
Maybe I meant composed. Sorry. (See my critique.)

My dig was at Riffraff, not you. All I meant was yours was artificial in the sense that the sea was in several places (ie you had captured its movement) by using an advanced skill of using a tripod and leaving the shutter open to gain movement in the picture (I am guessing:oops:). It is a very good picture, but it is not real (is all I meant). :)

Last edited:

Fantastic month and I think it has rejuvenated the competition!

I'm sad that all my favs are getting overlooked in the voting though. Technical jiggery pokery is wowing the punters too much. :lol:

Clyde, Spav* and Peachbum for me.

Peachbum a clear winner, delightful shot

*although I suppose no one has poked his jiggery more than Spav this month

Ta. I actually jigged my poke. It's a highly advanced technique. I'll write a book one day.

Fantastic month and I think it has rejuvenated the competition!

I'm sad that all my favs are getting overlooked in the voting though. Technical jiggery pokery is wowing the punters too much. :lol:

Clyde, Spav* and Peachbum for me.

Peachbum a clear winner, delightful shot

*although I suppose no one has poked his jiggery more than Spav this month
Thank you but why didn't you vote for me! :-:)lol:

Not Spavin - love this, didn't get it at first, then got it - "Motion Carried" - absolutely great. I'd perhaps lose the red to the bottom left, the picture works just as well without it. But highly original and well executed. Picture of the Month. Vote.

Very kind, thanks.

Only 2 votes this time for me (partly as i clicked to vote before ticking the box for Smokers pic too)

Not Spavin - Love it, great colours, interesting content and well composed. Quality.
Ghost of EH7 - I've been meaning to try this technique out myself but just haven't had much time with the camera recently. Great shot mate, i hope i can get results like this after such a short time.

Honourable mention to:

Smoker
- Fantastic pic, as i said above you would have had a vote from me too, however, i'm sure you'll not need it as its looking in the bag.

Peachbum
- Love the idea, I think this would have been a real contender this month but the crop and border just didn't work for me, slightly under-exposed too. Still, i think this was def the best of the rest.

Another great set of shots, well done to all entrants. I shall try my best to get something in this months comp as have missed the last two.

Cheers fella.

Look forward to seeing you getting back involved next month.

Bugger. Well done smoker. That really was a worthy winner.

I thought I was in with a chance there. That's the beauty of this comp though - it's pushing us all a little which can only be positive.

I know my June entry won't be to everyone's taste but I think it's my best yet.

Last edited:

Bugger. Well done smoker. That really was a worthy winner.

I thought I was in with a chance there. That's the beauty of this comp though - it's pushing us all a little which can only be positive.

I know my June entry won't be to everyone's taste but I think it's my best yet.

You probably won't want to hear this but I had just logged on and was about to cast my vote for you when I noticed the poll had closed - would have been a coalitiion winner this month if I had got off my arse and voted earlier.

A worthy winner, and a suitable strong performance from both Ghost of EH7 and Clyde in the polls. Loads of votes overall anarl.

Well done all.

A worthy winner, and a suitable strong performance from both Ghost of EH7 and Clyde in the polls. Loads of votes overall anarl.

Well done all.

49 voters this month which the highest since the first month.

yep, certainly seems to have worked, one thing i noticed though, when you come into this part of the forum it looks a little confusing as lots of the thread titles look very similar, anyone else notice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back