Round 5 - Motion. Voting, part 2 and comments

Picture of the Month?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: SMB Photography Competition Round 5 - Motion. Voting, part 2 and comments

Can anybody vote or just those who enter the competition?

Two votes from me. Smoker, one of the best takes on the star trail theme i've seen. Ghost, how many goes did you have at that?

Two votes from me. Smoker, one of the best takes on the star trail theme i've seen. Ghost, how many goes did you have at that?

Several Hundred, but I did end up with quite a few interesting shots. I put a description of how I did it on the main photo board.

My votes and comments on why I voted, as ever please take with a pinch of salt, and if I haven't really appreciated all your work and effort, then I am sorry! Please take as a
lighthearted response, especially as the majority of you are far more technically able than I.

The birds

Everstar - Really meets motion very well, love the shallow depth of field too. Would have possibly got rid of the top two white corners or at least the white and blue off the r/h side. Such a shame there wasn't a third bird facing us to make for a stunning photo.

Superkev - caught the duck landing beautifully but for me the composition spoils it. I can see you were maybe hanging over the railings, but the fence and rails really detract from the picture. I'd have been inclined to crop the r/h side by dropping a vertical from the wife duck.

Roger - Beautiful colours, lovely picture. My only (wee small) criticism is the birds
faces are overlapping marginally. Otherwise an outstanding photograph imo. Vote.

Keeps21 - You seem to have met the theme well with birds flying and water flowing, but there is something that doesn't work for me with this photograph and I don't actually know what it is, it just doesn't grab me. I keep thinking there whould be some writing on the photo asking me to come to the country park or something. I can't suggest cropping because there is a nice balance to the picture, I like black and white photography so it is not that. I still think it is a good entry though.

Bigmac - I can imagine this photo was quite hard to take! And a lovely observation of nature. I find it a wee bit "messy" to be considered for photo of the month, but a different take on the word "motion" - good thinking.

Light trails

Dodger - I like this photograph for the idea, but I would have increased the light trails (as the theme was motion) and taken off the starburst (?) filter. The lights with the star shape overshadow your light trails which is what I presume you meant your picture to be of. There is something in the sky (flare/glare/little shapes - don't know technical term sorry) which spoil the picture slightly too. Take the picture again and it could be used for spooky! this month.

Paul S.

Smoker - I like the idea of star trails, really suits the theme. I like the colour of the lit window in the house. I'm sorry I don't like the combination of the two. The star
trail goes over the front/back of the house (in front of the house in the picture) which
seems a bit strange. The houses and bushes seem to be in the wrong position (is this due to a fish eye lens or something? It comes across as a good plan, star trails with a nicely lit picture in front, but somewhere something went wrong (mainly the star trail in front of the house). But what do I know, everyone else seems to love it! Sorry!

Water

Ghost of EH7 - Dead jealous! A very well executed picture. I personally cannot fault it, I don't have the knowledge. Vote.

Clyde - I really like this picture, the softness of the motion of the water offset by the hardness and clear lines of the rock/jetty whatever on the right. Where the rock(?) meets the water on the r/h side I would be inclined to do a horizontal crop - makes for a much stronger image. Commended.

You made me realise - (as I said to Roger) - Beautiful colours, lovely picture. My only (wee small) criticism is the fish could be in a slightly better position - stunning
photograph, are those colours for real or is there some digital enhancement going on? Would love to know. Vote.

Cartman - I guess you were experimenting with the sky, but something happened to the trees on the top left which seems a bit wrong, but as you have said you are only learning post production I am ignoring the strange trees. The water has blurred OK which gives a sense of motion but the picture lacks something - a fisherman, a flying salmon, a paddling child. I know I often ask for something to be added to the pictures, but often the added "thing" is the thing that changes a picture from run of the mill to outstanding.

The rest

WillD

Not Spavin - love this, didn't get it at first, then got it - "Motion Carried" - absolutely great. I'd perhaps lose the red to the bottom left, the picture works just as well without it. But highly original and well executed. Picture of the Month. Vote.

Mercia Blackcat - I don't know how you did this, if it was a film camera I'd guess you didn't wind your film on and took picture on top of picture, which is a very difficult
technique when doing more than two exposures on one frame. Or, it was a picture that that you take with a motordrive and take ten pictures a second or something?? (I am guessing, so don't laugh too loudly). If it is a digital technique I'd like to know how it was done. I think it is a well executed picture. I don't like the grey background though, and the golfer appears to be flying/jumping in the air which is a bit disconcerting. The picture looks a bit "dated" ?? But an impressive entry all the same. Commended.

janiep - completely original, and very lookable at. Just needed that bird to fly into the air. I love your eye for a picture. Vote.

Groofwoofgrowl

Flavenoids - a very good motion picture of a bike wheel (?),(thought there might be more bike wheels) but not a very inspiring picture (I feel confident that you can take criticism :) ). There is too much brightness on the top left handside too.

Chinamackem - Good entry, I like the interpretation of motion. My only criticism is that the whole picture feels a little out of focus. I think the hand works being in front of her face, it adds to the picture.

Amnorrageordie - I trust the speedometer is in kph! Nice use of the rule of thirds.

Last edited:

Several Hundred, but I did end up with quite a few interesting shots. I put a description of how I did it on the main photo board.

Read that last night, must try it sometime. Did a similar thing years ago with my canon T90 but it involved breaking bulbs and things. I hope a theme is chosen so i can do it again for the comp.

This is what I meant:-

Logon or register to see this image
the blue of the sky has the complimentary (sp?) colour of orange (yellow compliments the purply colours). (pick a colour and go directly across on the colour circle).

I used the orange as there wasn't much ornage in the picture, I did it to add some punch, but not received well so far! :) I don't mind, I am happy to read all comments on here.

It's just an old standard I think that blue and yellow go together as do red and green.

Try it, especially if blue and yellow are naturally contained within the subject.

Mercia Blackcat - I don't know how you did this, if it was a film camera I'd guess you didn't wind your film on and took picture on top of picture, which is a very difficult
technique when doing more than two exposures on one frame. Or, it was a picture that that you take with a motordrive and take ten pictures a second or something?? (I am guessing, so don't laugh too loudly). If it is a digital technique I'd like to know how it was done. I think it is a well executed picture. I don't like the grey background though, and the golfer appears to be flying/jumping in the air which is a bit disconcerting. The picture looks a bit "dated" ?? But an impressive entry all the same. Commended.

I took several shots using the continuous shot option then using Photoshop overlapped them and graduated the opacity for each layer. I probably should have used more layers but decided on a simplified image because I like the geometric symetry of the 4 shot combo.

I thought long and hard about whether this constituted a valid entry but decided it was no different to an hdr shot in which layers are combined using a similar technique except the subject had moved.

You're right about the grey background which I think is too dark but when I tried a lighter grey the club didn't stand out as much.

I cut away the background and again after considering that pics are cropped and probably altered at times using the clone technique felt this was valid the difference being I removed all the background.

So overall I felt it was an illustration rather than a pure photographic image but nevertheless a valid submission as a photographic image illustrating motion.

I'd never tried this before so it was all new to me but I'm glad I did and as usual submitted my first attempt but was reasonably satisfied.

I suppose trying something new out is what I like about the competition.

Some might call it quirky but I would take that as a compliment. ;)

Last edited:

I took several shots using the continuous shot option then using Photoshop overlapped them and graduated the opacity for each layer. I probably should have used more layers but decided on a simplified image because I like the geometric symetry of the 4 shot combo.

I thought long and hard about whether this constituted a valid entry but decided it was no different to an hdr shot in which layers are combined using a similar technique except the subject had moved.

You're right about the grey background which I think is too dark but when I tried a lighter grey the club didn't stand out as much.

I cut away the background and again after considering that pics are cropped and probably altered at times using the clone technique felt this was valid the difference being I removed all the background.

So overall I felt it was an illustration rather than a pure photographic image but nevertheless a valid submission as a photographic image illustrating motion.

I'd never tried this before so it was all new to me but I'm glad I did and as usual submitted my first attempt but was reasonably satisfied.

I suppose trying something new out is what I like about the competition.

Some might call it quirky but I would take that as a compliment. ;)

I liked it, and for the record, it complies with the rules.

Dodger - I like this photograph for the idea, but I would have increased the light trails (as the theme was motion) and taken off the starburst (?) filter. The lights with the star shape overshadow your light trails which is what I presume you meant your picture to be of. There is something in the sky (flare/glare/little shapes - don't know technical term sorry) which spoil the picture slightly too. Take the picture again and it could be used for spooky! this month.

Thanks for the feedback Peachbum.

The photo is as it was taken i don't have PS so unable to take things out or even know how to i think the glare/little shapes are from the street lamps..I can see loads of things wrong with the photo now even a simple crop would have improved it somewhat. The light trails i thought i would go with less is more which hasn't worked but it's all part of learning. Good idea to use as spooky for this month :lol:
Any other C&C is welcome.

Fantastic month and I think it has rejuvenated the competition!

I'm sad that all my favs are getting overlooked in the voting though. Technical jiggery pokery is wowing the punters too much. :lol:

Clyde, Spav* and Peachbum for me.

Peachbum a clear winner, delightful shot

*although I suppose no one has poked his jiggery more than Spav this month

Last edited:

I dont like the posed, artificial or jiggery poked shots, so its the natural ones for me and the more minimalist the better. Ive voted along these lines every month and have seen the stuff I liked ignored in favour of poncey jazzy artificial pics but Im sticking to my guns and have voted for Clyde and a runner up vote for JanieP.

I dont like the posed, artificial or jiggery poked shots, so its the natural ones for me and the more minimalist the better. Ive voted along these lines every month and have seen the stuff I liked ignored in favour of poncey jazzy artificial pics but Im sticking to my guns and have voted for Clyde and a runner up vote for JanieP.
Your voting doesn't represent your comment. Clyde's picture uses advanced skills (artificial representation). Janiep's picture is posed.

Just a comment. :)

Bigmac - I can imagine this photo was quite hard to take! And a lovely observation of nature. I find it a wee bit "messy" to be considered for photo of the month, but a different take on the word "motion" - good thinking.

I couldn't get any closer without being attacked! The nest was on my garden fence so I managed to get a few photo's from when the nest was built, up to when one of the eggs hatched (pictured). Was planning on taking more photo's as I agree it looks messy, but the next day the nest had been destroyed and the chick must have been eaten. :-(
Got a few more photo's on flickr showing the story!

everstar and Ghost of EH7 got my votes.

I couldn't get any closer without being attacked! The nest was on my garden fence so I managed to get a few photo's from when the nest was built, up to when one of the eggs hatched (pictured). Was planning on taking more photo's as I agree it looks messy, but the next day the nest had been destroyed and the chick must have been eaten. :-(
Got a few more photo's on flickr showing the story!

everstar and Ghost of EH7 got my votes.
No complaint there.

Must have been lovely watching the bird story unfold.

No complaint there.

Must have been lovely watching the bird story unfold.

Would have given more votes out but I forgot about being able to vote more than once! :oops:

It was great to watch, just had a sad ending which was a shame.

Your voting doesn't represent your comment. Clyde's picture uses advanced skills (artificial representation). Janiep's picture is posed.

Just a comment. :)

In what way? It was entirely opportunistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back