Round 5 - Motion. Voting, part 2 and comments

Picture of the Month?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to vote on the entries for our May competition.

Unfortunately I can only create a poll with up to 20 options and we have 21 entrants this month so we're going to have to do this in 2 parts.

Please DON'T comment on the photographs unless they're marked as C&C Welcome.

Please vote for as many as you wish. Voting is public.

Thanks and good luck.

Read more: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=498169#ixzz0pYFRTmOf

chinamackem tells me he welcomes C&C too.

Last edited:

Re: SMB Photography Competition Round 5 - Motion. Voting, part 2 and comments

some really good and strong entries for this month, well done to all !

my votes went to:
Smoker - simply amazing, i wish my star trail pics would turn out to be as good as his.
Spav - im sucker for light painting and liked his pics so it got my vote
and lastly i went for Paul S ( no c&c stated so not gonna say owt).

cant wait to get something shot for this months, best theme so far i think.

Time to vote on the entries for our May competition.

Unfortunately I can only create a poll with up to 20 options and we have 21 entrants this month so we're going to have to do this in 2 parts.

Please DON'T comment on the photographs unless they're marked as C&C Welcome.

Please vote for as many as you wish. Voting is public.

Thanks and good luck.

Read more: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=498169#ixzz0pYFRTmOf

chinamackem tells me he welcomes C&C too.

I am quite happy to 'withdraw' if you want to reset the poll. It would seem sensible :)

Save it for a fishy theme ;)

Went for 3, and found it very tricky to keep it at that. Great work all round.

My 3 were;

Clyde - As well as being an extremely attractive image, the thing that really made it for me was the fact that the motion of the water, captured with a long exposure, helped to give this an other-worldly feel. It makes my want to find out how it was done and where it was taken, which is the sign of a great photo.

Smoker - I'd be very surprised if this doesn't win at a canter. Technically jaw-dropping, beautiful, and says something quite profound about motion.

Ghost of EH7 - The thing I like about this competition is that it gives us all a chance to learn and share new techniques. This is a great example of it, I'm sure a fair few of us will be giving this a go over the next week months. A very beautiful image too.

As soon as I saw this months theme I thought of smoker despite him not entering so far and despite all the entries being worthy of a vote still felt his shot was the best until Ghost entered and it became hard to split them.

So two votes this month from me.

Only 2 comments from me this month:

Amnorrageordie frankly got my vote for committing multiple road traffic offences and surviving to post his shot.

Peachbum would have got a vote except I thought the border spoilt it.

Amnorrageordie frankly got my vote for committing multiple road traffic offences and surviving to post his shot.

:lol:

T thought that too but road shots are a good genre in their own right.

:lol:

T thought that too but road shots are a good genre in their own right.

I love the little detail of the speed he was doing :lol:.

Went for 3, and found it very tricky to keep it at that. Great work all round.

My 3 were;

Clyde - As well as being an extremely attractive image, the thing that really made it for me was the fact that the motion of the water, captured with a long exposure, helped to give this an other-worldly feel. It makes my want to find out how it was done and where it was taken, which is the sign of a great photo.

cheers mate, some info on the shot, it was took at the pier in Seaham Harbour where i live, it was quite a rough day with a few decent sized waves around, so rather than just snap big wave pics i thought i;d try something different so i attached to screw in ND8 filters to my lens and got close to where the waves were coming in ( yes i got wet feet - but living at the seaside and owning a camera then that is a regular occurance ) and set up on the tripod, positioned the shot and snapped a whole bunch at different exposures, this one is 5 seconds long and shot at the smallest aperture my lend would allow whilst wide open, which is f22, depending on light and conditions you can get a much longer exposure during daylight but i liked this shot best and if i let it go longer it might have took some of the motion away from the incoming and out going waves....that day i also used my £1 welding glass filter which is awesome and managed to get some shots around 2 minutes long in broad daylight but as it was windy and some big waves around i got a lot of sea spray on it which was visible in the final shots, here is a one from the same day with the welding glass attached.

Logon or register to see this image

62 second exposure on f22 at 1.30 in the afternoon under quite bright sunlight.

notice the seaspray on the final outcome.

Last edited:

cheers mate, some info on the shot, it was took at the pier in Seaham Harbour where i live, it was quite a rough day with a few decent sized waves around, so rather than just snap big wave pics i thought i;d try something different so i attached to screw in ND8 filters to my lens and got close to where the waves were coming in ( yes i got wet feet - but living at the seaside and owning a camera then that is a regular occurance ) and set up on the tripod, positioned the shot and snapped a whole bunch at different exposures, this one is 5 seconds long and shot at the smallest aperture my lend would allow whilst wide open, which is f22, depending on light and conditions you can get a much longer exposure during daylight but i liked this shot best and if i let it go longer it might have took some of the motion away from the incoming and out going waves....that day i also used my £1 welding glass filter which is awesome and managed to get some shots around 2 minutes long in broad daylight but as it was windy and some big waves around i got a lot of sea spray on it which was visible in the final shots, here is a one from the same day with the welding glass attached.

62 second exposure on f22

notice the seaspray on the final outcome.

Interesting, ta. The final shot looked like some kind of massive quarry, but I figured it'd be around Seaham way based on your other shots.

So am I right in thinking that a welding glass filter is made from the same materials as a welder's visor?

i guess so, there is a guy sells them on ebay for a quid or something, then all you do is buy a step up ring for your lens and glue the glass to the ring and then screw it to the camera..white balance can be a pain though, best to shoot in raw when using it too..here is a flickr group for welding lass with lots of info

http://www.flickr.com/groups/weldingmaskglassfilter/

and ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-2-x-Welding-mask-Glass-shade-10-/190400837130?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&hash=item2c54c6360a#ht_500wt_1154

I went for not spavin and Ghost of EH7 for this month like. Both unique really clever shots.

I am quite happy to 'withdraw' if you want to reset the poll. It would seem sensible :)

Save it for a fishy theme ;)

Actually you were almost disqualified for having a wonky horizon, but we'll leave it as it is.

We can't merge polls and people have already voted.

Hopefully this will be sorted by next month, I didn't give Roger sufficient notice (in triplicate) this time around.

i guess so, there is a guy sells them on ebay for a quid or something, then all you do is buy a step up ring for your lens and glue the glass to the ring and then screw it to the camera..white balance can be a pain though, best to shoot in raw when using it too..here is a flickr group for welding lass with lots of info

http://www.flickr.com/groups/weldingmaskglassfilter/

and ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-2-x-Welding-mask-Glass-shade-10-/190400837130?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&hash=item2c54c6360a#ht_500wt_1154

There was a thread on Talk Photography a few months ago about this. It really is welding glass. Some people (you included) have had some fantastic results from using these things.

Thanks, two people have indicated they haven't liked the border so far. Is this because of the colour or because you don't like borders per se. I chose the orange border because orange is the "opposite" colour "complimentary"?? on the colour wheel to blue, and the picture is blue and orange, but there wasn't much orange in the picture, so I used an orange frame to off set the blue. I like borders round photographs, I think it sets them off. Would you have preferred a black border? Or no border at all? If no border, may I ask why? (just interested in how others see things). :)

Last edited:

Thanks, two people have indicated they haven't liked the border so far. Is this because of the colour or because you don't like borders per se. I chose the orange border because orange is the "opposite" colour "complimentary"?? on the colour wheel to blue, and the picture is blue and orange, but there wasn't much orange in the picture, so I used an orange frame to off set the blue. I like borders round photographs, I think it sets them off. Would you have preferred a black border? Or no border at all? If no border, may I ask why? (just interested in how others see things). :)

No border for me. I see what you're doing - creating a frame for your digital image as you would do with a real one - but it doesn't work for me on the internet. Just my subjective opinion mind you.

It was rather distracting. You've got nice strong colours in the image, but my eye kept being drawn out to the border.

I would prefer no border at all. Spav may be right, it might be an internet thing.

It was rather distracting. You've got nice strong colours in the image, but my eye kept being drawn out to the border.

I would prefer no border at all. Spav may be right, it might be an internet thing.
Thank you. What about Mercia's border in the "obsolete" month, he had a a thin rectangular picture and a very broad border, I thought this enhanced his picture rather than detracting from it. Would you agree with me for that particular picture or would you say his picture would have been better without the border?

Thank you. What about Mercia's border in the "obsolete" month, he had a a thin rectangular picture and a very broad border, I thought this enhanced his picture rather than detracting from it. Would you agree with me for that particular picture or would you say his picture would have been better without the border?

First referring to your earlier post, I tend to think yellow compliments blue rather than orange.

I did try a black border the other month because on here they automatically have a white background yet I prefer pictures displayed with a black blackground so tried to create that effect rather than a border.

If I do use a border to define the edge I tend to use a thin black line border.

First referring to your earlier post, I tend to think yellow compliments blue rather than orange.

I did try a black border the other month because on here they automatically have a white background yet I prefer pictures displayed with a black blackground so tried to create that effect rather than a border.

If I do use a border to define the edge I tend to use a thin black line border.
This is what I meant:-

the blue of the sky has the complimentary (sp?) colour of orange (yellow compliments the purply colours). (pick a colour and go directly across on the colour circle).

I used the orange as there wasn't much ornage in the picture, I did it to add some punch, but not received well so far! :) I don't mind, I am happy to read all comments on here.

Last edited:

To be honest, it was pretty marginal for me (personal opinion only of course). I can see that printed and hung on a wall, a black border might be nice. But I really think few pics on here benefit from one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back