Rory Stewart- Coronavirus view

Status
Not open for further replies.

They have justified it. Repeatedly

I've not heard or read any official explanation of how many people need to be infected in order to create herd immunity, the projected death rate among those infected, how many of the remaining population will build effective immunity and why those human costs are better than the measures taken in other countries.

I'd be grateful if you could enlighten me.

Unbelievable the number of people screaming about the government response purely based on the fact they are tory. The fact this is being driven (rightly so) by the CMO and other experts doesnt seem to matter.

A lot of the same people who are advising the government are writing those reports.

I wouldn't doubt that. The government needs to make a political decision and that's not necessarily going to follow the best advice for reducing the death toll.

I've not heard or read any official explanation of how many people need to be infected in order to create herd immunity, the projected death rate among those infected, how many of the remaining population will build effective immunity and why those human costs are better than the measures taken in other countries.

I'd be grateful if you could enlighten me.
Because in short, the virus is going to spread, no matter what. We can take Draconian measures now that will be unpalatable for very long. Or time it right to have the best impact.

I can see very little value in closing schools or universities. Those people still have to exist. People have to shop. Keep hospitals and police stations and fire stations running. Deliver goods to shops. Work in the water treatment and power stations.

Would people tolerate a life were you are not allowed to leave your own home for several months? I doubt it. Two weeks? Probably. So let's pick when the best time is for those two weeks. If its necessary at all.

Because in short, the virus is going to spread, no matter what. We can take Draconian measures now that will be unpalatable for very long. Or time it right to have the best impact.

I can see very little value in closing schools or universities. Those people still have to exist. People have to shop. Keep hospitals and police stations and fire stations running. Deliver goods to shops. Work in the water treatment and power stations.

Would people tolerate a life were you are not allowed to leave your own home for several months? I doubt it. Two weeks? Probably. So let's pick when the best time is for those two weeks. If its necessary at all.
Great plan. So the virus will be wiped out then ? Once you have been infected that's it ?
Even the experts don't know this but you and Boris knows ?

You're welcome to your opionons mate and the points you make require serious consideration.

What's lacking is what you're weighing that disruption against.

That requires an answer to my questions at the very least and I'm taking from your reply that they haven't been provided as I suggested in the post you originally quoted.

Great plan. So the virus will be wiped out then ? Once you have been infected that's it ?
Even the experts don't know this but you and Boris knows ?
I don't know mate, but I was asked why the government are taking the actions they have and I answered from my understanding of the press conferences and listening to the scientists speak.

I doubt Boris knows either, he will be listening to advice.
You're welcome to your opionons mate and the points you make require serious consideration.

What's lacking is what you're weighing that disruption against.

That requires an answer to my questions at the very least and I'm taking from your reply that they haven't been provided as I suggested in the post you originally quoted.
Sorry, you've lost me a bit. I thought you were asking why the government is doing what they are. And in short, they think it's the best thing to do to delay the peak impact to later in the year, and reduce the peak so cases are more spread out.

Have I misunderstood your question?

Last edited:
I don't know mate, but I was asked why the government are taking the actions they have and I answered from my understanding of the press conferences and listening to the scientists speak.

Sorry, you've lost me a bit. I thought you were asking why the government is doing what they are. And in short, they think it's the best thing to do to delay the peak impact to later in the year, and reduce the peak so cases are more spread out.

My point is how many on here would be prepared to die for the greater good ? It's easy to talk like this when you believe you are going to be ok.
if you look at the deaths in China young people will die as well and with only limited ICU's I guess our figures will be a lot heavier than China who at least attempted to treat everyone.

My point is how many on here would be prepared to die for the greater good ? It's easy to talk like this when you believe you are going to be ok.
if you look at the deaths in China young people will die as well and with only limited ICU's I guess our figures will be a lot heavier than China who at least attempted to treat everyone.
I think the problem is people are going to die from it. Be it today, tomorrow, in two months time.

How are China treating everyone? Do you mean every possible infected should be in hospital? I don't think that is necessary

I think the problem is people are going to die from it. Be it today, tomorrow, in two months time.

How are China treating everyone? Do you mean every possible infected should be in hospital? I don't think that is necessary
With up to 15-20 % needing hospital treatement soon what are we doing to prepare for this ?
You think China and s Korea have got it wrong then ? The world has got it wrong but blighties plan looks good, fair enough.

Yes mate. I think you misunderstood (or I made a bad fist of) the original point.

Stewart made a criticism, suggesting the idea of building herd immunity was dangerous and less effective than measures taken in places like South Korea.

I'd not heard any official explaination why the government plan was considered the better option only what it considered the benefits which amount to minimising disruption.

Even though the scientists will have modelled various scenarios, they've not told us if they think this plan saves lives or comes at the cost of more lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back