Rory Stewart- Coronavirus view

Status
Not open for further replies.
hunt chairs the health select committee, seems to have missed the memo that tory mp's no longer spin the line that the uk are sick of experts. to a certain degree, the uk doesn't need so many talking heads here who arent fully briefed the why's of the current course of action. you might not agree with it, but putting shit out there like there is stuff we're not being told is of no use.

i really do hope that the outcome of this, will be a country that respects expert opinion, values the nhs more dearly that it was done in recent times, see's that a robust functioning government works and that we can have faith in the collective identity of the uk.

I didn't get the impression Hunt was making his comments in his capacity of chair of the committee, more wanting to be seen doing something as the first big UK outbreak was in his constituency. If there's something we're not being told, he should tell us what it is otherwise it's difficult to believe what he's saying.

Whatever his politics, I found this interview fascinating.....

I posted it on another thread but thought that it was worth its own.....

His book about trekking across afghanistan is a kindle daily deal today. The Places Inbetween, excellent book

do we lack faith in our science and health professionals that they're taking the wrong decisions?

There are differing opinions between medical professionals, we are following a different route to other countries in trying to contain the virus.It may well be proven to be the correct choice but it flies in the face of the countries that have already experienced wide scale community spread.

do we lack faith in our science and health professionals that they're taking the wrong decisions?

The problem is that you’re making the assumption that having had it, you can’t get it again in the short term. There just isn’t enough known about this just yet to be able to say that with confidence.

Add to that that the only advice for the elderly has been avoid cruises and you’ve got a recipe for disaster for the older generation in theory.

What the fuck do people like Rory Stewart and Jeremy Hunt know about it? They're just trying to score political points.

Several of our academics are directly advising the government at the moment and our institutional policy is very much in line with the Government response so I reckon they're probably on the right lines.

He raises a valid point that other countries are taking other steps. Very similar countries too. It’s worth asking why.

He raises a valid point that other countries are taking other steps. Very similar countries too. It’s worth asking why.
Our approach now seems to be let the country get sick and we'll hopefully deal it.

A.k.a Jesus take the wheel.

He's not privy to the expert advice the Government are though. Unless he knows for a fact they are ignoring that advice then it's just more scaremongering.

He's not privy to the expert advice the Government are though. Unless he knows for a fact they are ignoring that advice then it's just more scaremongering.
They should make this public.

im not sure the public benefit from this kind of debate at this juncture, personally.

Indeed there is the chance that by publicly questioning govt advice we risk spreading panic. I guess it’s what’s the best strategy?

Blindly accept a plan that may not contain the virus as well, or press the govt for answers which may force them to take measures that do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back