Rooney Rule on football

Status
Not open for further replies.
If by bite you mean "I've got no f***ing clue what he's on about", then yep

I think looking for racism where it doesn't exist is a big problem, yes.

Clubs have shown there is no bias when selecting their playing staff, so why would you think there is a bias when selecting managers?

I'd be interested to see the % of BAME applicants for every managerial position considering there are going to be literally thousands of applicants for each job. Once you've removed the Sol Campbell numbers from each one you probably have a smaller figure than you think. Maybe they have actually just been deemed as not the best candidate?

I'm guessing there's a lot less minorities playing in the lower leagues though, no?

A decent percentage of those in the PL are likely to be foreign, so I would say again less of a chance of them staying in the country and wanting to manage here.

No idea. But it was 1997 so reasonably high. In 2007 even higher I would assume

As high as it is now?

And does the percentage of BAME players include foreign nationals who are probably less likely to continue to reside in the UK and take management jobs here after their playing careers?

As high as it is now?

And does the percentage of BAME players include foreign nationals who are probably less likely to continue to reside in the UK and take management jobs here after their playing careers?
I don’t have the stats so I don’t know.

Maybe a better comparison would be the England team? They have consistently had at least a couple of black players. The premier league has had one black English manager?

I don’t have the stats so I don’t know.

Maybe a better comparison would be the England team? They have consistently had at least a couple of black players. The premier league has had one black English manager?

Well ideally, if one is to form a judgement on whether or not English football should introduce the ‘Rooney Rule’, then one should be given as much evidence and as many statistics as possible to come to a reasoned view ;)

I think it's misleading to use the number of black players currently playing in the PL as a marker for how many black managers we have.
How many were playing in the PL 15-20 years ago that will have now retired have actually attempted to go into management? Ince has had opportunities and failed, Campbell is a mental case, Powell and JFH have both had opportunities as has Chris Hughton.
How many black ex players are there out there attempting to get jobs? It's notoriously difficult for any managers in the UK to get jobs these days if they aren't already on the merry go round or don't get a start at a club they've been involved with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back