Rolling monthly discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nee gallery lady peach

My masterpiece awaits display

The effect or point of it, i'm only looking on my phone but what's it supposed to bring to the picture?
the idea behind it is to include the surroundings of your model into the portrait, to draw their environment into the picture, not just them. They are highlighted due to the bokeh surrounding them though.

if you were just to shoot a portrait with a wide angle lens the person looks a bit lost, shooting with a longer focal length and stitching brings back the intimacy.
I get it but it's too subtle for me, and I don't have a tripod :oops: Not for this comp but is there an effect post pic that gives a similar look?

I get it but it's too subtle for me, and I don't have a tripod :oops: Not for this comp but is there an effect post pic that gives a similar look?

you don't need a tripod. Watch the video of how Brenizer himself does it on the other thread, maybe have a look at some of the pics on a proper monitor, its really not that subtle tbf. I guess bluring the background in photoshop would give a similar effect. You're using bokeh rather than a vignette to highlight the subject.

The effect or point of it, i'm only looking on my phone but what's it supposed to bring to the picture?

Make a DSLR/compact picture look like it was taken with large format.

I think the trouble with this task is it requires a lot of planning, eg choice of camera/lens, how to ensure consistent exposure/WB across all subframes, learn to use software to stitich the pics, how to prevent coma buggering up the stitches etc. Then there's the challenge of find a subject who will agree to having their portrait posted on a forum of lecherous obnovious footie fans. Or apply the process to a still life, but is that going to meet the remit? I am really stoked for giving it a go, but I could easily see me not finding the time.

Make a DSLR/compact picture look like it was taken with large format.

I think the trouble with this task is it requires a lot of planning, eg choice of camera/lens, how to ensure consistent exposure/WB across all subframes, learn to use software to stitich the pics, how to prevent coma buggering up the stitches etc. Then there's the challenge of find a subject who will agree to having their portrait posted on a forum of lecherous obnovious footie fans. Or apply the process to a still life, but is that going to meet the remit? I am really stoked for giving it a go, but I could easily see me not finding the time.
i see that as a good thing, puts people out of their comfort zone and makes them actively think about the shot, expanding one's skills and understanding.

medium to long lens - wide open as it will go, achieve focus on your subject, knock into manual focus and snap away with a predetermined WB or just shoot RAW.

If it will help people, I will try my best to stitch images if they send them all through to me, with PTGui.

Hopefully will get my shot this weekend.

Mind you, I'm saying this all confidentially but I haven't actually even tried having a go yet.

Last edited:
i see that as a good thing, puts people out of their comfort zone and makes them actively think about the shot, expanding one's skills and understanding.

medium to long lens - wide open as it will go, achieve focus on your subject, knock into manual focus and snap away with a predetermined WB or just shoot RAW.

If it will help people, I will try my best to stitch images if they send them all through to me, with PTGui.

Hopefully will get my shot this weekend.

Mind you, I'm saying this all confidentially but I haven't actually even tried having a go yet.

I appreciate the offer Ross but it's still going to be a significant investment in my time, which is at a premium these days with demanding job, wife, bairns and poor health. I will hopefully railroad one of the bairns into it at the weekend.

I honestly don't know where to start, plus away working all next week, plus my computer/software skills are basic at best, good luck for those giving it a blast btw, will be looking on with interest.

A walkover for oROSSo this month. ??

I would have given it a go this month (perhaps) as I don't mind learning new things.
BUT 3 things against it:
  • very short of time - had about three hours for myself this week
  • compact camera
  • don't like the brenizer end result much
(and it isn't really photography - is it? ?)[DOUBLEPOST=1392424817][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well the offer stands to anyone wanting to participate but unsure about stitching.

Thank you!

A walkover for oROSSo this month. ??

I would have given it a go this month (perhaps) as I don't mind learning new things.
BUT 3 things against it:
  • very short of time - had about three hours for myself this week
  • compact camera
  • don't like the brenizer end result much
(and it isn't really photography - is it? ?)[DOUBLEPOST=1392424817][/DOUBLEPOST]

Thank you!

We'll as I say I haven't even tried it myself yet so might not get anything decent.

Point 1- not much can be done about that
Point 2- admittedly, think I underestimated the amount of people who shoot on compacts
Point 3- fair enough

As it not being photography? Why do you think that?

It's a portrait. You need to think about light, angle, surroundings, composure. Just because it requires stitching? Are stitched pano's not photography?

This new format isn't working is it?

If stuff is too complicated, people won't bother. I have learned this the hard way, managing projects and staff over the last 10 years.

Same for this month's challenge as the competition format in general.

There are too many threads and too many competitions running at once, the casual photographer will not know what the fuck is going on.

By all means let's have technical challenges but keep it to the photo board.

The monthly competition should be set monthly and open ended enough to attract casual photographers, not just us geeks.

IMO like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back