RR Roker Roundup: Dylan McGeouch opens up on his Sunderland future - could he leave this summer?

You say that but my recollection is that John McGinn was our initial target and he's had a cracking season for Villa and probably will start for them next season in the PL.
To be fair though McGinn is one very good player and way better than Morgan or McGeogh. We do have to get rid of some midfielders to bring in some height, so one of the gnomes must go.

Thought he was unlucky to get dropped after the Luton game as he played well however he's not as good as what we have and is another small midfielder.

Shame it hasn't worked out for him but he wasn't quick, wasn't good in the tackle & wasnt dynamic enough on the ball. Maybe he'd have shown more with more of a run but we'll never know now. He was apparently dross when he was at Coventry earlier in his career so maybe he's just suited to a poorer standar in Scotland.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look at Man City they pass the ball about try to stretch the play and open teams up.

Hoofing up field has been our downfall. I've lost count the amount of times we lost the ball kicking it from the halfway line more in hope than anything else.

Our fans complain about our lack of creating anything for the forwards but criticise a player for trying to keep hold of the ball and open up the opposition.

He doesn't create anything for the forwards because he doesn't play the ball forward. I've got no issues whatsoever with ball retention, but at some stage you actually have to look for that incisive pass. McGeouch spent far too much time giving it back to the CB's who then just lumped it forward. Bizarrely there was one game when he was just about to pass it backwards again and the crowd started shouting their disapproval and he turned and hit a 30 yard pass right through the defence :lol:.

While I don't rate McGeouch ahead of Cattermole or Leadbitter, not having him even on the bench for the final was bizarre. He'd featured so little recently I'd assumed he mist be injured. Was a better bet for that match than Morgan.

Matthews should have been right back too, with O'Nien right mid. It's decisions like these that worry me about Ross.

He and Morgan are just proof of how p*ss poor Scottish football really is.

Top players up there who simply aren't even league one standard.

He says he thinks he can still help us be a success: aye, you can lad, by f*cking off and letting us buy better players instead of you.
Can you point any times he’s fucked up?

He's without doubt the most overrated player on this place. When he has played he’s done virtually nothing, so much so he’s our fourth choice central midfielder behind two lads with no legs and Max Power.

It’s like when Honeyman was out injured and people said we missed his energy, only to realise when he came back in he is absolute dogshit.

i think dylan should have been a starting player-did well in many games..

I really liked seeing him in the team tbh. Safe, precise passes, keeping possession and recycling the ball from the defence to the midfield. He’s not an attacking midfielder but played alongside Leadbitter last season and with an actual 10 ahead of him then I think we would have seen a lot more possession dominant performances. Only issue is the physicality isn’t there when you’re playing these lads together.

He is our best central midfielder, it's a shame Ross overlooked him. He was having a cracking spell, we signed Leadbitter and then we hardly saw him again.

He’s been much better than Leadbitter so can’t understand why he isn’t getting a game.

Agreed.

Last edited:
I just worry about the clamour to get 09 into the midfield. I am sure he can provide the energy to protect the older slower players, but that is the root of the problem really isn’t it . We need to be looking to push on with positive play , not paper over the cracks .

i think dylan should have been a starting player-did well in many games..

Reasonable. Plus he's made of chocolate.

He was nowhere near as good as posters are making out now.

We still looked a better team with him in it. Scandalous that he wasn't played more when fit.

Absolutely not true that. The best we've played hasn't contained anyone particular in it - earlier in the season he wasn't great, then Power came in against Scunthorpe and Gillingham alongside Catts and people said we were better with him in it and he was our best midfield, ignoring the opposition and the way the team was overall. then there was a spell where he played regularly September and October and form was hit and miss and he had some decent games, nothing spectacular. Then there was a period when Leadbitter and Catts looked better and the team performed better.

McGeouch came in at the end of the season against shite opposition and played well, then got injured again and then we've got to listen to people telling us he's f***ing class again.

Last edited:

Back