RR Roker Roundup: Dylan McGeouch opens up on his Sunderland future - could he leave this summer?

Think he would be more suited to the Championship, where its a bit less manic and has more time on the ball. I'd like us to keep him if Cattermole goes, with Robson, Mumba and Embleton all potentially having more of a role next season

Ridiculously under-used last season imo. The most comfortable on-the-ball central midfielder at the club by a country mile. I'd be looking to leave n'arl if I was him and wasn't a regular pick in our current side.

He isn't. He might have been several years ago but he isn't now. Streets ahead ffs.

he is, its not even close

he is, its not even close
He's not streets ahead. It's not even close. Didn't think anyone would still think that tbh. You could replace one with the other and nothing much would change. Lee might grab a goal whilst Dylan would look a bit more comfortable in tight situations.

Last edited:
We looked at our best and most solid when he played, but frustrated if he goes and Cattermole, Leadbitter and Power stick around.

All of our midfielders are the same, their first instinct when they receive the ball is to turn back on themselves. It must be coached into them here. We need to get rid of them and this stupid habit, and replace them with players who want to move the ball forward early. This will never be McGeouch.

Our fans haven’t took to him because he doesn’t always pass forward. The treatment of him at the game against City was moronic, sarcastically applauding a forward pass. Sure Gooch scored from it too. I think he’s a good player, if your holding onto a lead he’d be ideal. Very surprised at his lack of involvement.

Our fans haven’t took to him because he doesn’t always pass forward. The treatment of him at the game against City was moronic, sarcastically applauding a forward pass. Sure Gooch scored from it too. I think he’s a good player, if your holding onto a lead he’d be ideal. Very surprised at his lack of involvement.
You’d be forgiven for thinking we have a clueless stubborn manager who is out of his depth, oh wait .......

A good player who should be starting games alongside Catts.

I like Leadbitter but in hindsight, we shouldn't have brought him in. We had enough in midfield as it was, all it brought about was more change every week.

You could hear the morons in the crowd more clearly that night due to the smaller attendance. Was quite funny hearing the bullshit in the build up to the goal like. Thickheeds.

I honestly thought he wasn't playing through injury not choice. For me, as much as I like leadbitter, mcgeogh would have been the first choice of the 3 with power or honeyman alongside him.

Very poor sideways and backwards player. Wont be missed

Been my main beef with Ross over the season, his omission of mcgeough when we had Cattermole and Leadbitter week in, week out. At least mcgeough could keep the ball moving and not need two touches before he got it under control ffs. That and O'Nein not given a go as an attacking centre midfielder when we've been crying out for one all season.
Give owa, McGeough had a million touches, slowing the game down, before he passed it to the centre backs or keeper.

Last edited:
Is this philosophy not why our attacks are so ponderous though. The easiest thing in the world is to pass sideways and backwards when there are no opposition players to get in the way. Much more difficult to find the run of your striker with an incisive pass. He gets plaudits on here for doing the easy stuff when essentially he's abrogating responsibility for starting moves to someone else. He makes Jack Colback look like Frank Lampard.
If you look at Man City they pass the ball about try to stretch the play and open teams up.

Hoofing up field has been our downfall. I've lost count the amount of times we lost the ball kicking it from the halfway line more in hope than anything else.

Our fans complain about our lack of creating anything for the forwards but criticise a player for trying to keep hold of the ball and open up the opposition.

Back