Roker Report

Ah, haway James, spill the beans. Some of us have nowt to do today but lie in bed ill, reading this forum.

It's all a bit sad if you ask me. Are these guys genuinely journalists or the type who are 'unpaid contributors' to p£ss taking football websites?

Did they do a journalism degree, an NCTJ course , members of the NUJ or just playing 'journalist' for kicks.

It's all a bit sad if you ask me. Are these guys genuinely journalists or the type who are 'unpaid contributors' to p£ss taking football websites?

Did they do a journalism degree, an NCTJ course , members of the NUJ or just playing 'journalist' for kicks.
I know James Copley is doing a journalism degree and has completed an NCTJ course.

Afternoon lads and lasses,

I thought I'd hop into this wonderful corner of the internet and clear a few things up. The majority of the Roker Report contributors are lovely people with a huge passion for everything Sunderland. Let's not forget they do it for free, well the basic writers do, the editors get paid a pittance and the monthly stipend generated through as many clicks as possible is likely kept by people at the top of the organisation.

Anyway, aye, I fell out with their "gaffer" at RR due to being stabbed in the back (as I perceive it, I'm sure he sees it differently) over a podcast when the new owner had just been installed. I'll not go into detail as it's all very boring and tedious.

The relationship also broke down because of the vitriolic behaviour towards other members of the Sunderland fanzine community, who happened to be extremely good friends of mine, who, I might add, have done a lot for Sunderland fans. People in Wise Men Say and A Love Supreme, genuine guys with no interest in competition or appearing "IN THE KNOW". Of course, these comments are all written from behind a keyboard towards people he'd never met. Not my style, so I left.

This has lead to a bit of a Twitter purge on the main guy's behalf, basically he just can't handle being challenged on his approach or opinion. I mean, I gather from some of the comments on here that people believe me to be a bit touchy... you're all absolutely correct haha! However, if I'm wrong, I'll admit so, and I enjoy a bit of craic back and forth on social media, but if you can't take it don't dish it out, which, for me, is exactly what has happened in this stupid episode.

Regards and ha'way the lads,

James Copley
Is Connor okay? He seems a lovely Teddy Ruxpin type.

Hopefully he'll take over from Gavin and RR will get a whole lot cuddlier

Currently reporting that the bid for the unknown championship midfielder has been accepted.
Don’t shoot the messenger
So long as Ross nars wee tis, ha ha.

What's the crack with your Dad? I inferred from the last of your messages I saw that he was fading. I hope you don't mind me asking. It's always a difficult subject but over the years I've come to the conclusion that it's better to say something than nothing (even if the something might be a bit awkward).

Ah, haway James, spill the beans. Some of us have nowt to do today but lie in bed ill, reading this forum.
I’m pretty sure he quit the podcast and then wanted back on because the owner was coming on the show a few weeks later. Then it’s just gone a bit silly from there onwards

So long as Ross nars wee tis, ha ha.

What's the crack with your Dad? I inferred from the last of your messages I saw that he was fading. I hope you don't mind me asking. It's always a difficult subject but over the years I've come to the conclusion that it's better to say something than nothing (even if the something might be a bit awkward).
I truly don’t mind you asking, infact I appreciate that people care.
He’s home, but he’s very breathless, horrible to see to be honest. :(But he’s not bed ridden and he’s not in any pain so I’ll take that while I can.
Me mam went to church this morning, I sat with him, when she got back and I went to go home a little later I got told off for babysitting him. :lol:
Thank you xx

Im not massively bothered either way let me just state that. I've loved the podcasts etc.

But if the point of fanzines etc is to be an independant voice for the fans well they have effectively lost their independence and are now the clubs communication vehicle on certain matters.

I'm sure it's all very exciting and flattering to be in direct contact with the power brokers at our club but are they going to be able to report negatively on the club now? Of course they can't. Theres a psychological element to it, like there is with certain local journalists.

Now the more interesting bit is if this is a very clever ploy by Charlie to control the fanzines or its as genuine as Stewart has stated from the start. Just the club now being open.

I'm more than happy to leave the paranoia to one side. But you can't get away from fact that they are no longer independent.
True.
Charlie’s way way ahead of them. He’ll have a schedule laid out already of which media source gets what and when. Get the amateurs onside first so that the pros realise they’ve got to start showing some respect or their bosses will want to know why a bunch of postman and bricklayers are killing the giants then slowly bring the pros back in around the camp fire when they show an improved attitude.

Came up in one of those yank comedy films the other day

Sorry I mean it was written on an exquisite pissoir near the Champs Elysées ;)
Ha ha, yes, hopefully in the classic French linotype font: Mistral.

I truly don’t mind you asking, infact I appreciate that people care.
He’s home, but he’s very breathless, horrible to see to be honest. :(But he’s not bed ridden and he’s not in any pain so I’ll take that while I can.
Me mam went to church this morning, I sat with him, when she got back and I went to go home a little later I got told off for babysitting him. :lol:
Thank you xx
I think that sometimes we come closest to pure humanity at times when life and death are close to one another. That's certainly my experience. Peace be with you, your Dad & all your family & friends.

Last edited:
I'm not annoyed but I don;t take what they say seriously because its essentially just the owner saying it
After all, what does he know?

No, I take your point. I guess it comes down to whether you trust him. Until he proves otherwise, I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt. I certainly don't see what he would have to gain by telling lies and giving the fans false hope.

He's got a Dutch passport.

Don't spoil it for him. He has denounced the RR lads as liars on the basis that they printed something and he has absolutely no idea whether or not it is accurate.

Last edited:
After all, what does he know?

No, I take your point. I guess it comes down to whether you trust him. Until he proves otherwise, I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt. I certainly don't see what he would have to gain by telling lies and giving the fans false hope.

Don't spoil it for him. He has denounced the RR lads as liars on the basis that they printed something and he has absolutely no idea whether or not it is accurate.
:lol: Jesus Christ, mate. It was a poor headline, nothing more. You're totally over exaggerating an insignificant remark in which I never once called anyone a liar. However, I'd still argue having a passport for a country doesn't qualify the player as assuredly dreaming of playing in that country. Did Thierry Henry dream of playing in Guadeloupe or Martinique? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Back