Roker Report

Afternoon lads and lasses,

I thought I'd hop into this wonderful corner of the internet and clear a few things up. The majority of the Roker Report contributors are lovely people with a huge passion for everything Sunderland. Let's not forget they do it for free, well the basic writers do, the editors get paid a pittance and the monthly stipend generated through as many clicks as possible is likely kept by people at the top of the organisation.

Anyway, aye, I fell out with their "gaffer" at RR due to being stabbed in the back (as I perceive it, I'm sure he sees it differently) over a podcast when the new owner had just been installed. I'll not go into detail as it's all very boring and tedious.

The relationship also broke down because of the vitriolic behaviour towards other members of the Sunderland fanzine community, who happened to be extremely good friends of mine, who, I might add, have done a lot for Sunderland fans. People in Wise Men Say and A Love Supreme, genuine guys with no interest in competition or appearing "IN THE KNOW". Of course, these comments are all written from behind a keyboard towards people he'd never met. Not my style, so I left.

This has lead to a bit of a Twitter purge on the main guy's behalf, basically he just can't handle being challenged on his approach or opinion. I mean, I gather from some of the comments on here that people believe me to be a bit touchy... you're all absolutely correct haha! However, if I'm wrong, I'll admit so, and I enjoy a bit of craic back and forth on social media, but if you can't take it don't dish it out, which, for me, is exactly what has happened in this stupid episode.

Regards and ha'way the lads,

James Copley

I thought I'd hop into this wonderful corner of the internet and clear a few things up. The majority of the Roker Report contributors are lovely people with a huge passion for everything Sunderland. Let's not forget they do it for free, well the basic writers do, the editors get paid a pittance and the monthly stipend generated through as many clicks as possible is likely kept by people at the top of the organisation.

Anyway, aye, I fell out with their "gaffer" at RR due to being stabbed in the back (as I perceive it, I'm sure he sees it differently) over a podcast when the new owner had just been installed. I'll not go into detail as it's all very boring and tedious.

The relationship also broke down because of the vitriolic behaviour towards other members of the Sunderland fanzine community, who happened to be extremely good friends of mine, who, I might add, have done a lot for Sunderland fans. People in Wise Men Say and A Love Supreme, genuine guys with no interest in competition or appearing "IN THE KNOW". Of course, these comments are all written from behind a keyboard towards people he'd never met. Not my style, so I left.

This has lead to a bit of a Twitter purge on the main guy's behalf, basically he just can't handle being challenged on his approach or opinion. I mean, I gather from some of the comments on here that people believe me to be a bit touchy... you're all absolutely correct haha! However, if I'm wrong, I'll admit so, and I enjoy a bit of craic back and forth on social media, but if you can't take it don't dish it out, which, for me, is exactly what has happened in this stupid episode.

James Copley
Fair play

James Copley

Thanks for clearing that up.

James Copley

Fair play.

I do hope that people who are working or writing for RR to not get above their station now and become Mr Billy bollocks. Absolutely no need, as you said, many other similar organisations do excellent work.

Fair play.

I do hope that people who are working or writing for RR to not get above their station now and become Mr Billy bollocks. Absolutely no need, as you said, many other similar organisations do excellent work.
Starting to look a bit like that from the outside.
It’s great that the new owners are being so open and doing it with supporter led platforms. However they need to be careful not to cross in to being a PR machine for the club and not disappear up their own arses in the process.

It’s great that the new owners are being so open and doing it with supporter led platforms. However they need to be careful not to cross in to being a PR machine for the club and not disappear up their own arses in the process.

100% agree. I have said that their objectivity has pretty much evaporated these days. Once that goes, you have had it really

James Copley

Who's "the gaffer"? Fishpaste? Or Gav? Who's the one spouting off at people?

James Copley

Didn’t you quit the podcast before the new owners came in. I remember you quitting on the show? Did you just unquit a few weeks later because the new owner was coming on the show?

I must have missed him doing that! On twitter or on here?

Over twitter or text message or something by the sounds of it

I’m serious danger of that aye

Didn’t you quit the podcast before the new owners came in. I remember you quitting on the show? Did you just unquit a few weeks later because the new owner was coming on the show?
I had agreed to do one in three. (its time consuming and I'd done pretty much every one for a year) The first Stewart Donald pod turned out to be my turn but I was pushed out.

Again, I hasten to add that the majority of the RR lot are great lads who enjoy being part of the fan site scene alongside WMS and ALS. We're all just fans, and I take no pleasure from this. Not in the business of falling out with other Sunderland supporters, that's the last thing I want.

Back