Robin eating out of my hand

About 15 years ago I had a colony of Greenfinches nest in the hedge between my garden and my neighbours. I could see about 5 nests and as I was usually the one to trim the hedges I left them alone. not long after I came home from work and saw that the prick from next door had been out with the hedge trimmer and exposed some of the nests. The Greenfinches deserted the nests and eggs and haven't been back since, in fact I can't remember the last time I saw one.
Well that has spoit my morning coffee ... shocking.
I get nervous when cats are in my garden at the same time as fledglings.

About 15 years ago I had a colony of Greenfinches nest in the hedge between my garden and my neighbours. I could see about 5 nests and as I was usually the one to trim the hedges I left them alone. not long after I came home from work and saw that the prick from next door had been out with the hedge trimmer and exposed some of the nests. The Greenfinches deserted the nests and eggs and haven't been back since, in fact I can't remember the last time I saw one.

Sadly some people are both thick and ignorant.

Some people are just dim. I'm hoping they are dim rather than couldn't care about them.
My neighbour is similar. He cuts the hedges while the blackbirds are still using their nests.
He's a decent enough lad, but you can't tell him anything because he knows it all already.

My mate’s a tree surgeon…he said the worst thing about the job is Robins…fiercely territorial and will have it out with you 😂

Swindon Aggro.
Some people are just dim. I'm hoping they are dim rather than couldn't care about them.
My neighbour is similar. He cuts the hedges while the blackbirds are still using their nests.
He's a decent enough lad, but you can't tell him anything because he knows it all already.

That is why farmers are cutting the hedgerows now.
A purpose also that they thicken in the middle offering more protection.

Leave the Banjo playing, swinging and Care of the Countryside to us Carrot Crunchers I say.

Last edited:
I think some birds just become habituated to humans,as for birds being naturally scared places like the Galapagos with minimal human interaction the birds have no fear.

Most of the animals are fine with humans in the Galapagos. We were sitting on rocks putting snorkel gear on and a penguin hopped out of the water and was wandering around looking at us. Could have picked him up for a cuddle, he was that close!

Most of the animals are fine with humans in the Galapagos. We were sitting on rocks putting snorkel gear on and a penguin hopped out of the water and was wandering around looking at us. Could have picked him up for a cuddle, he was that close!
I love penguins, not quite as much as elephants but it's close.

Back