Robin eating out of my hand

Whilst it’s a great feeling for you no doubt, the Robin would have been absolutely terrified. Eating out your hand rather than starving. Just leave the pellets on the ground for them, and let them be.
Do you have a source, please, re: wild birds being stressed from hand feeding?

I found this:

Last edited:

Bloody immigrants coming over here and stealing our berries!

Waxing their legs, I mean wings, pulling our Men.
F off to Rwanda I say 😂😂
Was it actually that Robin in the picture above that came and ate out your hand? That is a smashing photo mind, you must try and squeeze it into a photo comp, I would photo for it.

Oh I've heard they can be grumpy little territorialists too. Doesn't make them any less cute tho.

Are they not native to Britain? Thought they were

Yes that was the Robin.👍

Last edited:
Never seen a greenfinch for years. And yet my Tyneside garden has featured bulfinches, goldcrest and four members of the tit family in recent months. Forty years ago Greenfinches were more common than the most of the aforementioned.
Mind you, finches have a running buffet all year round.
Yeah I've not seen a GF for quite sometime, it was just walking in between us all without a care in the world, Obviously it was starving like. :(

They can be pretty tame. I swear the one that comes to ours recognises the car, as soon as I pull in about it appears and sits on the fence until I go get it's mealworms. It comes real close to me. Mealworms for the robin and sultanas for the blackbirds. Fussy little shits won't eat the raisins I bought, has to be sultanas.

Saw a couple of redwings the other day whilst at work. Bonny birds that appear here in the winter. Similar to a thrush but with a white underbelly and red stripe near both wings.

Never seen a greenfinch for years. And yet my Tyneside garden has featured bulfinches, goldcrest and four members of the tit family in recent months. Forty years ago Greenfinches were more common than the most of the aforementioned.

We get plenty in the garden along with Goldfinches, on the sunflower heart feeders.
Really important to clean them as they are one of the most vulnerable species to suffer from botulism.

Probably told this story before but was in @Parkmaverick garden a couple of years ago and a young magpie came down to the table and it was climbing on my hand and capering about and stuff, then quick as a flash it pecked straight through @Dave Herbal shiny silver Lambert and butler fag box and flew off with his tabs.

Landed on the next door neighbours shed roof and proceeded to pull the tabs out one by one and flip them about. Then herbal tried to get them back by climbing a rickety garden fence to get to it.

Parky heard me struggling to breathe from laughing and came into the garden to find herbal lying on his back in the garden with two planks of fence on top of him and a magpie cheerfully hoying his fags about.

I've got a video of the thieving black and white bastard somewhere I'll have a look

They can be pretty tame. I swear the one that comes to ours recognises the car, as soon as I pull in about it appears and sits on the fence until I go get it's mealworms. It comes real close to me. Mealworms for the robin and sultanas for the blackbirds. Fussy little shits won't eat the raisins I bought, has to be sultanas.

Saw a couple of redwings the other day whilst at work. Bonny birds that appear here in the winter. Similar to a thrush but with a white underbelly and red stripe near both wings.

I know they are territorial but usually the aggression is around food supply.
Feed daily and as soon as I open the patio door and make their “tic, tic, tic” sound they are visible.
Counted 5 at once this Morning and more interested in the pellets before the Blackbirds could hoover them up.

As you said they get very tame.

In the 90s I lived in Belmont. Every day, a Robin appeared on the washing line outside of the kitchen window. I’d put out some food on the back patio and it would watch then hop down to get it. Gradually I got it onto the back step. Every day I’d coax it further inside, until eventually it would hop about 2 metres into the utility room to get its treat. This was well into the mild spring.

Eventually it brought the family down. I had baby robins sat inside the back door while the adult fed them. It was magic to see.

Probably told this story before but was in @Parkmaverick garden a couple of years ago and a young magpie came down to the table and it was climbing on my hand and capering about and stuff, then quick as a flash it pecked straight through @Dave Herbal shiny silver Lambert and butler fag box and flew off with his tabs.

Landed on the next door neighbours shed roof and proceeded to pull the tabs out one by one and flip them about. Then herbal tried to get them back by climbing a rickety garden fence to get to it.

Parky heard me struggling to breathe from laughing and came into the garden to find herbal lying on his back in the garden with two planks of fence on top of him and a magpie cheerfully hoying his fags about.

I've got a video of the thieving black and white bastard somewhere I'll have a look

😂😂😂

I kid you not a few Summers back I was at work and the Mrs (no) had all the windows opened.
She screamed as a young Magpie was down the toilet and squawking.
Wouldn’t go near it.
In the 90s I lived in Belmont. Every day, a Robin appeared on the washing line outside of the kitchen window. I’d put out some food on the back patio and it would watch then hop down to get it. Gradually I got it onto the back step. Every day I’d coax it further inside, until eventually it would hop about 2 metres into the utility room to get its treat. This was well into the mild spring.

Eventually it brought the family down. I had baby robins sat inside the back door while the adult fed them. It was magic to see.

Superb 👍
Meant to ask as well. Was Ted with you? Probs not, he couldn't sit still, you lavishing attention on another.

He doesn’t like Robins.

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:

Poor thing would have bit the DUST going near Herbs like. :eek:

Funny as owt that.

What amazes me is that it didn’t scope the pack out or anything. Just turned and peck straight through the box. It could have been a lump of tungsten and smashed it’s beak in

About 15 years ago I had a colony of Greenfinches nest in the hedge between my garden and my neighbours. I could see about 5 nests and as I was usually the one to trim the hedges I left them alone. not long after I came home from work and saw that the prick from next door had been out with the hedge trimmer and exposed some of the nests. The Greenfinches deserted the nests and eggs and haven't been back since, in fact I can't remember the last time I saw one.

Do you have a source, please, re: wild birds being stressed from hand feeding?

I found this:

Just my thoughts marra, birds are naturally scared of humans.

Back