Robin eating out of my hand

My missus used to have a pet Pheasant.
He used to come into the back garden about 6am and announce his presence.
Mussus would go down and feed him a digestive buscuit.
He wouldn't touch any other seed until he'd had his biscuit.
He would race up to her as soon as he heard the back door open....

He used to come into the back garden about 6am and announce his presence.
Mussus would go down and feed him a digestive buscuit.
He wouldn't touch any other seed until he'd had his biscuit.
He would race up to her as soon as he heard the back door open....

I had the same, would eat out of my hand. He had a limp.
Sadly I think Basil Brush had him for his tea.

We get loads of Pheasants here once shooting season starts. They take refuge in the fields around us. Mind you noisy when they roost in the trees and on our roof :)

Logon or register to see this image

Here he is.

Last edited:
In the 90s I lived in Belmont. Every day, a Robin appeared on the washing line outside of the kitchen window. I’d put out some food on the back patio and it would watch then hop down to get it. Gradually I got it onto the back step. Every day I’d coax it further inside, until eventually it would hop about 2 metres into the utility room to get its treat. This was well into the mild spring.

Eventually it brought the family down. I had baby robins sat inside the back door while the adult fed them. It was magic to see.
This was similar to me, two years ago with two Robins and their chicks. I always made a high pitch chirping sound before I fed them. Eventually I had 5 of them hoping onto my legs and arms, as I sat in the garden. It was wonderful and enchanting. I got a few good videos of them next to me. I wish I got a video of one of them, who came further into my house one day without me knowing, until I went into the sitting room with my cuppa and it was perched on my laptop screen. :lol:

I am currently feeding a Wren who pops into my conservatory, asking to be fed. It feeds a couple of inches away from my hand, it's magical to interact with.

This was similar to me, two years ago with two Robins and their chicks. I always made a high pitch chirping sound before I fed them. Eventually I had 5 of them hoping onto my legs and arms, as I sat in the garden. It was wonderful and enchanting. I got a few good videos of them next to me. I wish I got a video of one of them, who came further into my house one day without me knowing, until I went into the sitting room with my cuppa and it was perched on my laptop screen. :lol:

I am currently feeding a Wren who pops into my conservatory, asking to be fed. It feeds a couple of inches away from my hand, it's magical to interact with.

Superb Mate.

I’ve never seen a farmer cut in the summer no matter what Brussels said as it’s the wrong thing to do
I think cutting was allowed from mid September, not sure what month it ended. When we left the EU this law ceased to be. Maybe we replaced it with something similar, I don't know.
There's a rumour she's also had a cockatoo!
🤔

Last edited:
I've always tried to get close to birds since I was a young'un and bonded with a variety birds by feeding them.

They don't call me 'Birdman' for nothing. :cool::D

Ever since I was a very young boy I became interested in them. Credit has to go to my Grand Dad (Mum / Mam’s) side. He was into Football, Fishing, Shooting, Countryside etc - I guess I followed in his steps.
I know quite a few from their sounds which is one of those ”attributes” that you take for granted.
They are friendly feisty little thing
Often when I’m digging in the garden they’ll get very close as though they want to interact and play!!

Digging the garden and they are usually close by.
Stop and look around if you find a nice small worm. Throw it close by and more than often they will get very close and take it. Often feet away.

Last edited:
Brilliant - love them little things. Have you been leading up to this over a period of time or was this the first time you tried and it just came to you

First time in a place that I had never been before.
I always have a small bag of suet pellets in the pocket. My Mrs (no) you can probably tell is a keen photographer (first picture). The one with the Robin on my hand, a little blurred as had already been on my hand twice before she took this shot.

First time in a place that I had never been before.
I always have a small bag of suet pellets in the pocket. My Mrs (no) you can probably tell is a keen photographer (first picture). The one with the Robin on my hand, a little blurred as had already been on my hand twice before she took this shot.
Brilliant - I`m going to give that a try.

It was my mother-in-laws funeral yesterday and as we were walking away after the burial, a little robin fluttered down and sat on her grave and watched us as we walked away.

Incredible just been to the local B&Q, already had a few bags of bird food with me as just stocked up. Robin was on a blokes wing mirror with his window down.
I went over with a few pellets in my hand and he took one.

Incredible they must be hungry.
I left a few on the floor and they were all gone when I came out of the shop.

An immense feeling of good.

Up the Robins. FTM.

Back