Rob Lee on safc support

Status
Not open for further replies.

In all fairness Newcastle do have bigger fan base. Sunderland lost out on a lot of fans when Keegan was fighting for the title and we were struggling badly. It was cool for 2/3 years to support Newcastle.

This also means they have a large core who literally glory supported them, and know square root of fuck all about football.

They have numbers, but you know a Sunderland fan is a Sunderland fan who loves the club, and is not motivated by trophies.
they were in the right place at the right time to pull in the glory seekers , not just in the north east but around the country. thankfully the totally screwed it up and now celebrate survival... it's great

Not this again. However, I can't resist wading in........

Newcastle have a significantly larger hinterland than Sunderland.

They have the entire county of Northumberland living nearer to them than us. They also draw heavily from Tyne and Wear, where they have almost ubiquitous support in the war-torn estates north of the river as well as Gateshead, the second largest town in the UK with a population of over 200,000 as well as drawing around 50% of the population of South Tyneside. They also score sizeable toff support from having over 50,000 students studying at their two universities. Due to accessibility up the A1, they also take a large % from Washington and from Durham and surrounding villages, especially since they when they were formed in 1992.

We have the city of Sunderland (although lose fans from Washington see above), 50% of South Tyneside, the non-criminal fraternity from central and western Durham as well as a large percentage of the eastern Durham coalfield with noteable shout outs to those who have been fortunate to have been brought up the correct way in the places dominated by Newcastle support.

Then throw in the fact that we have been absolutely dogshite pretty much every season (with the exception of 2) since the incarnation of the premier league. It's a miracle that as many young uns as they do follow us given they've had absolutely zero to hang their coats on - ever. No near misses at premier league titles (thank Christ!), no Mackems in Milan, several relegations basically sweet FA in terms of 'success'.

In sum, the fact that we regularly attract over 30k in League 1 and sell out cup finals in 5 minutes is nothing short of remarkable. If they had had half of the shite that has come our way the city of Newcastle would have no phone boxes remaining and the Horse's Trust would be inundated.

You were making some good points until this bit like

We have 10 years in the top flight, in which the mags got relegated twice, which is our longest spell since the 50s

Fans of this era don't realise they've had it pretty decent

the lowest we finished for nearly 25 years was 3rd in the championship

I wish people would stop saying we have been shit for ages, we haven't, we are a lot better than we were in the 60s, 70s and 80s.

They obsess over attendances because it’s all they have to justify the “massive clerb” delusions of grandeur they have.

This all day. I tried to explain the catchment area surrounding Sunderland if you use a 30mile radius is mostly in the sea,and genuine competition for fans with them and boro mean our numbers are quite impressive.
Then if you explain further intricacies like the fact they are the only club between Newcastle up and past the borders worth a wank their numbers aren’t so amazing. The final nail in that conversation was I’m obsessed despite him going out of his way to say selling 40k for Wembley is a disgrace as we only get 32k at home if the away team bring a few thousand

It's pretty poor that a good proportion of Tyneside support Sunderland. For them that is.

It's pretty poor that a good proportion of Tyneside support Sunderland. For them that is.
I mean we do get a fair few from Northumberland and around south Tyneside,I even know a few Wallsend safc fans. I think given the last 25-30 year they are naturally going to have more fans from the casual point of view add in the excellent transport links they’ve got from the north and south it’s bound to help there numbers. However the masses don’t bother me, I’d rather be us and go under the radar not have people reporting 12000 have turned up at a shop and making it hard for innocent people to get to work in protest at a bloke who isn’t even there

Sadly supposed hot bed of football. All two pundits can argue about is crowd sizes. Why because between the clubs we have won SFA. Who really gives a shit about attendances.

I support Sunderland ( and I am originally from Consett with a reasonable Mag base) because I fell in love with the club, why God knows but despite being royally pants for eons they are under my skin. I really don't care if the mags get 55k 45k or even 10k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back