Rob Lee on safc support

Not this again. However, I can't resist wading in........

Newcastle have a significantly larger hinterland than Sunderland.

They have the entire county of Northumberland living nearer to them than us. They also draw heavily from Tyne and Wear, where they have almost ubiquitous support in the war-torn estates north of the river as well as Gateshead, the second largest town in the UK with a population of over 200,000 as well as drawing around 50% of the population of South Tyneside. They also score sizeable toff support from having over 50,000 students studying at their two universities. Due to accessibility up the A1, they also take a large % from Washington and from Durham and surrounding villages, especially since they when they were formed in 1992.

We have the city of Sunderland (although lose fans from Washington see above), 50% of South Tyneside, the non-criminal fraternity from central and western Durham as well as a large percentage of the eastern Durham coalfield with noteable shout outs to those who have been fortunate to have been brought up the correct way in the places dominated by Newcastle support.

Then throw in the fact that we have been absolutely dogshite pretty much every season (with the exception of 2) since the incarnation of the premier league. It's a miracle that as many young uns as they do follow us given they've had absolutely zero to hang their coats on - ever. No near misses at premier league titles (thank Christ!), no Mackems in Milan, several relegations basically sweet FA in terms of 'success'.

In sum, the fact that we regularly attract over 30k in League 1 and sell out cup finals in 5 minutes is nothing short of remarkable. If they had had half of the shite that has come our way the city of Newcastle would have no phone boxes remaining and the Horse's Trust would be inundated.

In all fairness Newcastle do have bigger fan base. Sunderland lost out on a lot of fans when Keegan was fighting for the title and we were struggling badly. It was cool for 2/3 years to support Newcastle.

This also means they have a large core who literally glory supported them, and know square root of fuck all about football.

They have numbers, but you know a Sunderland fan is a Sunderland fan who loves the club, and is not motivated by trophies.

Rob Lee was some player.

Weird that he has an affinity with us though, considering we hate cockneys universally.

Mags at work giving me stick about the Checkatrade but when i said if you were in the same position ...would you not go to wembley ? They couldnt answer....they only said we would never be in league 1

They’ll appear left right and centre on social media if Portsmouth beat us.
I couldn't really give a fuck. They've got the high ground at present because of where each of us are in the leagues, but we're unbeaten against them in eight I think with the 6 in a row amongst that. All I care about is getting back to the Premier League. They don't really concern me at the moment.

Depends what you consider by fans. The Premier League is a global brand nowadays, look at the decent amount of American fans we've had on here. The Netflix documentary has probably added a decent amount of interested people worldwide, if we ever made it back to the PL we could be in a position to be a popular choice.

Given we've our backs to the sea and 30 odd mile apart ,Us the mags and Boro do very well .At our peak we were pulling in 130,000 plus between us

Who went missing?
We were getting bigger crowds than you while being in a lower league!

Which is why the thread is on YOUR site

Here we go, the absolute irony of you pointing that out, why don't you fuck off to your own site then you sopping wet fanny pad?

Back