Rise of the conspiracy theorists?

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date

Someone TXT me yesterday and told me to close all windows overnight as five helicopters were going to Spray London overnight with disinfectant 😳 I heard the distinctive sound of a Chinook around 8.30pm 🤔
That's how easy it is to believe in a conspiracy theory. It needs to be brought out in the open imo, people need to know about how dangerous conspiracy theories can be. I'm all for conspiracy theories that provide solid evidence but that's not normally the case when it comes to facebook and twitter.

Right folks I'm bumping this thread as conspiracy theory's are getting a bit out of hand regarding the current situation.

The only thing you should take note of is the current government guidelines.

Some have asked me about this TV series made a couple of year ago that supposedly predicted what is happening in the world today. I think its just a co-incidence. Recent research confirms the virus is NOT man made. Its not the first time a world wide event was predicted in a TV show or movie and it wont be the last, its something that will happen due to Murphy's Law imo.

Surprisingly I see normal people pushing conspiracies about COVID-19 (not just conspiracy theorists) that should know better.

facebook and twitter seem to be overloaded with people putting out their own theories my advice is report it as soon as you see it.
If it originated in a market where a variety of domestic and wild animals were kept together in squalid conditions enabling this to jump species then it’s f***ing man made.

If it originated in a market where a variety of domestic and wild animals were kept together in squalid conditions enabling this to jump species then it’s f***ing man made.
In a way yes but people are claiming it was made in a lab but evidence says it wasn't so its best to follow those guidelines as they are obviously government endorsed.

That's how easy it is to believe in a conspiracy theory. It needs to be brought out in the open imo, people need to know about how dangerous conspiracy theories can be. I'm all for conspiracy theories that provide solid evidence but that's not normally the case when it comes to facebook and twitter.
If there was solid evidence then surely it wouldn't be a conspiracy theory.

So nothing to do with Horseshoe bats then ... asking for a friend 😎
I heard they mutated into Clownshoe bats.
If there was solid evidence then surely it wouldn't be a conspiracy theory.
There is nothing wrong with people asking for evidence after the media suggests something but some people are making shit up at a time when its essential this should not happen.

People should be educated on conspiracy theories in my opinion. Its an easy trap to fall into evidently.

Following government guidelines is essential, so conspiracy theories are not helping with that right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard they mutated into Clownshoe bats.

There is nothing wrong with people asking for evidence after the media suggests something but some people are making shit up at a time when its essential this should not happen.

People should be educated on conspiracy theories in my opinion. Its an easy trap to fall into evidently.

Following government guidelines is essential, so conspiracy theories are not helping with that right now.
Mmm ok , I’ll tell my friend then !

Absolutely, we all love to find patterns, it's inbuilt as the pigeon study proved. Sometimes people find patterns like "secret air force base" plus "weather balloon reported downed" along with "it looked like an alien spaceship" and "someone who works near it ordered some child-size coffins" and think OMG ALIENS AND A CONSPIRACY TO COVER IT UP!

It's just this same pigeon-like superstition. Bits of our brain briefly connect together as we see the pattern and it triggers a pleasurable chemical response.

Incidentally, it's also exactly the same underlying characteristic of our brains that makes us susceptible to addiction.

And the same one that made us throw virgins into volcanos.
What I find interesting is why some but not all people are susceptible to this, and let’s include religion too. As has been pointed out there are some otherwise intelligent people who believe in a god, not many but enough for it to require an explanation.

Evolution, mate.

Superstition has even been recorded in pigeons:

Pigeons Can Be Superstitious — And A Psychologist Once Proved It

Looking for patterns that assist our survival, such as finding food or water in the same place more than once without having an explanation for why it might be in the same place more than once but using it to help find food and water in the future, has helped us evolve this far, but now we're at a point where we're even able to take a step back and observe those patterns for whether or not they're actually rational. Some of them are, some very much aren't. Still we seek the patterns, though.

Conspiracy theories are just an extension of those superstitions, that desire to find patterns where sometimes there are reasons for them and sometimes it's just coincidence.
Also the idea that there is some guiding hand behind catastrophic events which shows someone is at least in control regardless of motive rather than the reality of random bad shit happening which has no author, man or supernatural beings.

Something to cheer up Chicken Little:

Some of the stuff going around is absolutely shocking! Especially the fake watermarked government advice. It will be the same people who lick elevator buttons and cough in peoples faces no doubt. I hope they get jail time.

What I find interesting is why some but not all people are susceptible to this, and let’s include religion too. As has been pointed out there are some otherwise intelligent people who believe in a god, not many but enough for it to require an explanation.

Yep. As far as organised religion is concerned, Christianity anyway, if you question too much or say "hang on, that's bollocks" you'll end up shunned by your community, so it becomes essentially "virtuous" or at least socially beneficial to stick your fingers in your ears, close your eyes and chant "la la la la" whenever a thought pops into your head that contradicts doctrine.

The desire to be accepted by the group overrides the desire to seek the truth beyond what is said in "the good book".

Self-imposed denial. It really is a mental illness of sorts. As well as being a kind of survival tool.

"Why are there no dinosaurs in the Bible?"
"BURN THE WITCH!"
"Oh, nevermind, I'll just keep my gob shut next time."

Yep. As far as organised religion is concerned, Christianity anyway, if you question too much or say "hang on, that's bollocks" you'll end up shunned by your community, so it becomes essentially "virtuous" or at least socially beneficial to stick your fingers in your ears, close your eyes and chant "la la la la" whenever a thought pops into your head that contradicts doctrine.

The desire to be accepted by the group overrides the desire to seek the truth beyond what is said in "the good book".

Self-imposed denial. It really is a mental illness of sorts. As well as being a kind of survival tool.

"Why are there no dinosaurs in the Bible?"
"BURN THE WITCH!"
"Oh, nevermind, I'll just keep my gob shut next time."
I was having Christmas dinner with my family and the local Vicar. After dinner I got a bit bored so started reading a conspiracy theory book my mam bought me for Christmas. I saw a conspiracy that I'd never seen before so announced it to the room, I said "did you know that every barcode has the numbers 666 encoded in it?"
I forgot the Vicar was there tbh but it didn't go down to well.

Back