Rise of the conspiracy theorists?

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date

I was going to bump this thread, I read an interview earlier from Richard Dawkins. He suggested a lot of conspiracy people, and particularly mentioned flat-earthers has likely been misfits all their life and with the internet reaching a global audience it give them the capacity to find that fellowship with other misfits. It would otherwise be hard to find others with such thinking in a large town.

The videos of thinks I have seen has always been people who seem socially awkward and can never really put together a clear explanation of how their model works. Those are not the sort of people who can often easily find others. At least for them now, it has built a bit momentum and they have small conferences.

Why do we believe that crap though?
People are seeing meaning and significance when it isn't really there.

BBC News

I used to drink with a friend who used to inhabit a persona for the evening. Sometimes it would be plainly ludicrous, like 'astronaut', sometimes leftfield like 'cellist' or mundane like 'accountant'. It was always fun and it almost always served its purpose: he'd score for the night. The problems would always occur later because he was an idle waster whose sole talent was bullshit and short term charm. Came from Hartlepool.

I was going to bump this thread, I read an interview earlier from Richard Dawkins. He suggested a lot of conspiracy people, and particularly mentioned flat-earthers has likely been misfits all their life and with the internet reaching a global audience it give them the capacity to find that fellowship with other misfits. It would otherwise be hard to find others with such thinking in a large town.

The videos of thinks I have seen has always been people who seem socially awkward and can never really put together a clear explanation of how their model works. Those are not the sort of people who can often easily find others. At least for them now, it has built a bit momentum and they have small conferences.
I've just been listening to a bbc radio 4 program about the conspiracy theorists and they said twitter is a huge conspiracy theory platform. The did a test to see how easy it was to start a conspiracy theory and share it around the world she was amazed how easily it picked up momentum. I cannot stand twitter me.
-
On another note read the comments on this news story. Are all those people CTs or is there any truth in what they are saying?

I wouldn't normally post a video like this on here but as its from a mainstream news channel and you don't actually see any injuries I'll take a punt - its the comments that I'm interested in as I get the feeling the majority of people commenting are not conspiracy theorists. I know nothing about this story other than the video and I don't have an opinion either way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Getty images? Did they take the black and white photos or did they acquire the rights to them?

Is this stuff in the news as a fight against anti vaxers? What a lame thing to put on the news.
Your responses are getting lamer and lamer Mr "I'm not a conspiracy theorist, honest gov'" NOM.

Last edited:
Getty images? Did they take the black and white photos or did they acquire the rights to them?

Is this stuff in the news as a fight against anti vaxers? What a lame thing to put on the news.
It is probably one of the more important thing to put in the news about conspiracy theorists. People believing the moon landing didn't happen (I assume that should be landings or entire Apollo program) or on flat/dome planets are harmless enough, but anti-vaxers put people at risk.

It is probably one of the more important thing to put in the news about conspiracy theorists. People believing the moon landing didn't happen (I assume that should be landings or entire Apollo program) or on flat/dome planets are harmless enough, but anti-vaxers put people at risk.
There's quite a few conspiracy theories that put people at risk mate, I know of 2 people who were recently arrested and convicted by the FBI for taking the whole conspiracy thing too far.

What did they do?
They think the Sutherland Springs school shooting was a set up. They confronted the father of one of the victims asking to see the birth/death certificate of the deceased. They also offered a large sum of money to anyone who could produce a death certificate for any of the victims. If you google 'Conspiracy Granny' you should be able to see for yourself as it was in plenty of mainstream news.
Baptist Church* not school shooting.
-
Quite a few inaccuracies in my post so just read this if your interested.

There is a canny set of pictures on the BBC at the moment:

Shame a small minority will see some amazing pictures and only see lies along with further evidence of unknown people out to get them.

There seems to be a lot of people interested in space stuff. I might start a space stuff 2020 thread next year.

There is a canny set of pictures on the BBC at the moment:

Shame a small minority will see some amazing pictures and only see lies along with further evidence of unknown people out to get them.

There seems to be a lot of people interested in space stuff. I might start a space stuff 2020 thread next year.
I like this one.
Logon or register to see this image

Yes evidently a lot on here are very interested. I'm sure you could do a better job than the last wreak of a space thread (there was some amazing footage of space though and we all agreed on that) not so much the aliens and ufos 🙃

Back