rippetoe compound lifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always have the bar on my back with a pretty narrow grip so my upper backs a bit tighter. Doing it wider I was getting pain in my elbows, don't know if that means I'm doing it wrong.. Is rippetoes word Gospel?

humph said:
I always have the bar on my back with a pretty narrow grip so my upper backs a bit tighter. Doing it wider I was getting pain in my elbows, don't know if that means I'm doing it wrong.. Is rippetoes word Gospel?

Nope pretty much what he says, I just think I had it too far down my back

supersesh said:
I can't do squats and play football to my best ability, legs are just to weak. Thats just me tho, others may be different.

If they're too weak then all the more reason to do them IMO

my tdee according to the first website I went in fitnessfrog said my maintenance was 2900 with 4 days of exercise.

my lbm is approx 140-150 if you think that from that my calories are wrong then let me know.

I don't know what you mean, if I'm too fat then I want to lose it.

according to titus equations my lbm of 63kg

bmr 1745 x 1.5 = 2619

Didn't mean to disagree with you, think eating that many cals is a better approach if they're just going on the midsection.

I was just wondering why you want to drop body fat, stop and then presumably put more on by 'bulking'?

Didn't mean to disagree with you, think eating that many cals is a better approach if they're just going on the midsection.

I was just wondering why you want to drop body fat, stop and then presumably put more on by 'bulking'?

Because that's the process involved with bodybuilding, your either bulking or cutting. U can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time in ordinary circumstances, unless ur just starting out and ya massive.

U bulk, u cut, u bulk, u cut.

Bulking is miles more fun out of the two :)

Last edited:
I can't do squats and play football to my best ability, legs are just to weak. Thats just me tho, others may be different.

absolutely this for me, I play twice a week usually and with this routine you have to just make your peace with it because you can't have it both ways, well I can't anyway.

I could possibly do a light leg workout.

doing hiit on rest days hardly helps with footy either, I'm just gonna plow on and hope my body adjusts and I'm always injured anyway with foot cramps so might as well just keep with the weights because I can do this without injury so far

I enjoy progress and to lift more you need to bulk but I want to start with lower bf than I have now.

Lewberry pie said:
absolutely this for me, I play twice a week usually and with this routine you have to just make your peace with it because you can't have it both ways, well I can't anyway.

I could possibly do a light leg workout.

doing hiit on rest days hardly helps with footy either, I'm just gonna plow on and hope my body adjusts and I'm always injured anyway with foot cramps so might as well just keep with the weights because I can do this without injury so far

I enjoy progress and to lift more you need to bulk but I want to start with lower bf than I have now.

What do you weigh?

Brave the squats, your body will adapt and it will stop being an issue within a few weeks. I squat 3 times a week, soon to be 4 and still have to do boxing training 3 times a week, run 3 times a week and anaerobic threshold training 2-3 times a week, the body has amazing powers of recovery.

is it the doms in the legs after squatting thats putting people off? supposed to be able to limit doms with a gentle cardio session afterwards, get the blood pumping in the legs. i cba to do that like, i just deal with the pain.

RyAye said:
is it the doms in the legs after squatting thats putting people off? supposed to be able to limit doms with a gentle cardio session afterwards, get the blood pumping in the legs. i cba to do that like, i just deal with the pain.

This, but can understand how it puts people off

Because that's the process involved with bodybuilding, your either bulking or cutting. U can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time in ordinary circumstances, unless ur just starting out and ya massive.

U bulk, u cut, u bulk, u cut.

Bulking is miles more fun out of the two :)

So half the time you look like shit and half the time you just eat grilled chicken and plain toast?.. Is it all worth it after the cut so you can take pics to prove that at one point you were in decent shape?

On building muscle and losing fat, I've been doing this slowly for the past few years and I don't consider mine exceptional circumstances.

Bulking's just an excuse to get fat, you admitted it!

So half the time you look like shit and half the time you just eat grilled chicken and plain toast?.. Is it all worth it after the cut so you can take pics to prove that at one point you were in decent shape?

On building muscle and losing fat, I've been doing this slowly for the past few years and I don't consider mine exceptional circumstances.

bulking doesnt mean getting fat lol. you dont go fat skinny fat skinny. youre always in pretty good shape. u just cant build muscle without adding a bit fat, but u keep it to a minimum.

so u have been losing fat and building muscle for a few years? so youre now on 6% body fat, cut to fuck, with a shit load of lean body muscle?

thought not.

not that im some kind of bodybuilder like, i just know that is how it works.

Bulking isn't an excuse to get fat, infact from a competitive stand-point, that's why so many of the best guys do so well, because when they bulk they don't just use it as an excuse to get fat.

& Grilled chicken and plain toast, what? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been fell walking at the lakes, so I squatted 90kg as a lighter session and just worked on form.
Bench 80kg failed on last rep of last set so I'll stay with this weight next time.
Deadlift 100kg first attempt and the workout makes much more sense now I've started doing Deadlifts
Dips, my weight (85kg) 2x8.

So my starting bench was 65kg, squat was 70kg deads 100kg power cleans 55kg

squat 100kg too comfortable.
shoulder 60kg failed on 4th rep of last set
power clean 60kg also too comfortable
close grip pull ups 3 x 4 i couldn't do 8 reps :oops:

anyone else doing this with canny progress?

If you play football then you don't need to squat. Squats are a brilliant exercise and one most uneducated gym goers miss out. However, in recent years their necessity has been exagerrated as the "correct" information comes from power lifters and bodybuilders etc. But they need to do squats. If you do other activities that work your stabiliser muscles, then squats aren't necessary and you could do leg press or hip belt squats instead and have no pressure on your spine.

Next time you squat feel where most of the strain is. It will nearly all be in the legs. The upper body part of the exercise is about working stabiliser muscles. The people who really need this are those who don't do other sports that work their stabiliser muscles. Football will do this.

redmiester said:
If you play football then you don't need to squat. Squats are a brilliant exercise and one most uneducated gym goers miss out. However, in recent years their necessity has been exagerrated as the "correct" information comes from power lifters and bodybuilders etc. But they need to do squats. If you do other activities that work your stabiliser muscles, then squats aren't necessary and you could do leg press or hip belt squats instead and have no pressure on your spine.

Next time you squat feel where most of the strain is. It will nearly all be in the legs. The upper body part of the exercise is about working stabiliser muscles. The people who really need this are those who don't do other sports that work their stabiliser muscles. Football will do this.

So with that in mind would you disregard every compound free weight exercise in favour of machines as long as you play a sport that engages your stabilising muscles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back