rippetoe compound lifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewberry pie

Striker
I'm not someone who lifts seriously, I mess about and change my routine every week, I was thinking of doing his starting strength thing and wondered if it will affect me playing footy much? I'm 5'7 now and 188 pounds as

Lewberry pie said:
I'm not someone who lifts seriously, I mess about and change my routine every week, I was thinking of doing his starting strength thing and wondered if it will affect me playing footy much? I'm 5'7 now and 188 pounds as

Why would it?

well, if u gain weight as fat, obviously that will effect your football. The idea would be to gain weight in muscle. 188lbs seems quite heavy anyway for someone 5'7. whats your current build like?

"I can tell you that I can't think of any reason squatting would make someone a worse athlete. In fact if an athlete is going to use any resistance training at all, I can't think of anything much better than a properly performed back squat which engages the entire posterior chain, quads and requires a lot of skill and coordination (if done properly). I have a hard time believing that a linebacker squatting 600lbs won't hit a bit harder than when he was squatting 400lbs. So I guess that I'm pretty dead set that if you are going to do resistance training, why would you NOT squat as an athlete" - Layne Norton.

Obviously there is more to football than just being powerful, but from that aspect you'll benefit greatly. However you can't just neglect the other things such as anaerobic threshold, aerobic endurance, agility, etc.

well, if u gain weight as fat, obviously that will effect your football. The idea would be to gain weight in muscle. 188lbs seems quite heavy anyway for someone 5'7. whats your current build like?

about 20% fat at a guess, 32 or 34 waist at the shops although I usually have to buy 36 because of my huge backside :lol:

Everyone's scared of getting heavy from lifting weights, yet nobody's afraid of getting heavy from consuming numerous amounts of alcohol on an evening/weekend. If you want to get strong then start lifting. It's simple.

well that went well, 2 sessions and I've pulled me hamstring at footy, I'm sick.:cry:

doing rice and getting drunk which helps, will I be able to squat if its just a little pull?

well that went well, 2 sessions and I've pulled me hamstring at footy, I'm sick.:cry:

doing rice and getting drunk which helps, will I be able to squat if its just a little pull?

Noooo. If you're trying to squat in that situation it will very soon become a lot more serious than just a 'little pull'

should I continue without the squat or deads tonight?

thanks for nothing bellends.

but I have added 10kg to my bench in 3 sessions

Are you just doing the 'Starting Strength' routine at the moment? I wouldn't play around with those kind of lifts when you've got any type of injury, especially with how heavy you'll be hitting the hamstrings. Even when you're leg's feeling better, maybe spend a bit of time doing some occlusion training instead of jumping straight back into heavy compounds.

right I'll keep my log on here from now on with progress.

yesterday I did.

squats 100kg
bench 75kg
row 60kg

today hiit, 30 sec sprint's, 60 sec moderate 11 times.

I feel like I an eating a lot more than normal

I'm eating 2600 cals a day and it could just be because I'm deliberately eating lower calorie food that I get more bang for my buck as it were.

I'm attempting to lose weight and I have lifted weights before so I'm not expecting the gains in strength rippetoe talks about like.

right I'll keep my log on here from now on with progress.

yesterday I did.

squats 100kg
bench 75kg
row 60kg

today hiit, 30 sec sprint's, 60 sec moderate 11 times.

I feel like I an eating a lot more than normal

I'm eating 2600 cals a day and it could just be because I'm deliberately eating lower calorie food that I get more bang for my buck as it were.

I'm attempting to lose weight and I have lifted weights before so I'm not expecting the gains in strength rippetoe talks about like.

You need to provide info on sets and reps for your compounds. Be handy to know your 1RM aswell.

about 6 x 5 increasing weight, then 3x5 of what I posted.

dunno what my 1rm is I always just thought it was a bragging tool

about 6 x 5 increasing weight, then 3x5 of what I posted.

dunno what my 1rm is I always just thought it was a bragging tool

No, it's a gauge of max strength. If you want to improve strength then you work from your 1RM. For example, strength training occurs in the 80% and above range. You calculate this by finding your 1RM.

However, if you're just training for aesthetic means then keep the weight that you feel is resistant and rep it to fluff.

I need to work out my 1RM

Just back from my first rippetoe session, just thought I'd take it easy and get my form nailed as I haven't lifted in about a year.

Squat - 3x5 100kg
Bench - 3x5 80kg
Deadlift - 1x5 140 kg

Squat is causing me problems, with my grip of the bar, I'm so inflexible that my wrists are bending and the tension is kinda pushing the upper back forwards. My back is straight but instead of being upright its coming over, bring my nipples to my knees if that makes sense!?

Forgot how many idiots use the gym anarl!

I need to work out my 1RM

Just back from my first rippetoe session, just thought I'd take it easy and get my form nailed as I haven't lifted in about a year.

Squat - 3x5 100kg
Bench - 3x5 80kg
Deadlift - 1x5 140 kg

Squat is causing me problems, with my grip of the bar, I'm so inflexible that my wrists are bending and the tension is kinda pushing the upper back forwards. My back is straight but instead of being upright its coming over, bring my nipples to my knees if that makes sense!?

Forgot how many idiots use the gym anarl!

Remember that when you're searching for your 1RM you're working to your limits, so remember to get a spot.

With your back squat there is quite a bit of variance for where you can place your hands. Just find a position that is natural and comfortable for you. Once you have found this position focus on on keeping them relaxed. Don't try to push your elbows up or down. It doesn't matter.

What matters is keeping your chest big and keeping the weight on your heels. Don't let your chest drop, otherwise you'll hips will rise up and you'll lose drive.

Focus on pushing your hips forward and through and not 'up'.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back