rippetoe compound lifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why I'm not posting lifts. As long as we progress that's the main thing

don't be so soft man, I want to know how people are getting on, what's the most you've lifted because I'm wondering if this takes you to the same level you'd reach with any routine.

So with that in mind would you disregard every compound free weight exercise in favour of machines as long as you play a sport that engages your stabilising muscles?

No, just squats and rows if you wish. If you like doing the squats, keep doing them as they are an exellent exercise. But, if like many guys you don't like the stress on your back, then given you play football, you don't really need to do them. The stabilisation part of the other exercises tend to work the muscles in a way football wouldn't. For exmaple, if you are sprinting and suddenly chance direction, that is going to work your upbody in a similar way to when it keeps you balanced during a squat. You realise just how much strain you are putting on your core when you brake and change direction.

But you are unlikely to get the same benefit from any movement in football, than you will from lowering and steading the bar for a bench press. Your grip and forearms wont be worked as well in other lower back exercise as they would in a dead lift and football isn't going to make up for that. The things with squats is that they are one of, if not, the best exercise. But because this is so well established, people rarely think why it is they are so good. It's because the overall stimulus produced by a squat is great than other exercises. But if you are already doing something that really works your balance, co ordination and skeletal loading etc, then they aren't the necessity they are for many gym goers.

Btw, I'm assuming that when you say you play football, you aren't talking about a leasurely kick about with your mates, but a high intensity game.

i'd suggest that if your squatting and putting a lot of stress on your lower back then you need to correct your form.

don't be so soft man, I want to know how people are getting on, what's the most you've lifted because I'm wondering if this takes you to the same level you'd reach with any routine.
I've never been a serious lifter though, never stuck at it for an extended period of time. Thats why I chose this routine, to get back to basics.

squat 120kg i'm moving forward a little bit on my back causing a bit of lower back strain
deadlift 130kg took some skin off me hands doing this
bench has stalled on 80kg been about 2 weeks on this weight now
power cleans 70kg
shoulder press 60kg

i accidentally deadlifted 140kg on my first working set, no way could i do 3 sets of 5 on that, yet.

Last edited:
Lewberry pie said:
squat 120kg i'm moving forward a little bit on my back causing a bit of lower back strain
deadlift 130kg took some skin off me hands doing this
bench has stalled on 80kg been about 2 weeks on this weight now
power cleans 70kg
shoulder press 60kg

i accidentally deadlifted 140kg on my first working set, no way could i do 3 sets of 5 on that, yet.

On the program you only deadlift 1x5

I had an absolute nightmare with me shoulders today, I squatted 125 and felt fine although I think I'm reaching my limit as my movement is not as fluid as before, then when trying to shoulder press 65 I was just knackered, power cleaned 75 fine after it, it felt like me shoulders hadn't recovered at all so I'll reset down to 55 and see what happens from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back