RIP Leighton James

Well past his best when he signed for us but remember him turning Ray Stewart inside out v West Ham, must have been some player in his prime, him and Frank Worthington were a joy to watch

The fact that so many people are talking about him 40 years after he played for us speaks for himself.

My first memory of him, like another poster here, was to hate him. I was at Derby in 1976-77, we were in the Pop Side and had a big following there, around 7000. Loads of trouble that day and I remember he got dogs abuse when taking a corner just in front of us. Can also remember him playing against us in the Battle of Turf Moor when we won 2-1 despite having only 9 men.

Was a bit sceptical when we signed him but was a great player for us and he was the first out and out winger for us can remember watching.

Great skill and vision. Can remember the game at Luton in 1982-83 we won 3-1 and he was excellent. Iirc he scored that day. Durban was on his way to building a really good side until Cowie disgracefully sacked him.

RIP Leighton.

Played cricket with us at Whitburn as kids and was always a great bloke. I remember him scoring a free kick for Swansea past Siddall in the Roker End in 82 and Siddall smiling as he picked out the ball.

RIP Taff

Such a shock to read of his passing. Not least since I’m the same age ( 71 ) and it makes you realise just how short and precious life really is.

R.I.P. Leighton James, past his peak when he played for us, but still a memorable player and character.

He was my next door neighbour in Heysham.
Played against him when he was manager of West Lancs team Burnley Bank Hall for Longridge United , they where unbeaten all season and we won and Leighton wasn’t happy but congratulated us all on our win and wished everyone well, good man RIP.

A fine footballer and a bit of a character. Him and Worthington weren’t at their peak with us but had some class.
They did indeed.

KLD would do well to discover how a similar injection of experience and know how, could greatly improve a young side.

RIP Leighton, you were great to watch

Back