RIP Leighton James

Something that doesn't seem to happen these days. I remember Steve Ogrizovic as a Minor Counties standard wicketkeeper (played club cricket for Coventry and North Warks in the Birmingham League,),and Gary Shaw also playing Birmingham League for Aston Unity.
Shack, Stan Anderson and Ted Purdon all regulars in DSL.

Class player.
Remember him scoring in a 2-2 v Watford at home near the end of the season, return fixture in the season they beat us 8-0 down there.

Also scoring the following season in a 2-1 vital win vs Birmingham late on in a six pointer. Hindmarch (for us) and Harford (for them) sent off that day. We stopped up, they went down that year.

RIP, quality player with on pitch persona. He & Frankie W brought football class to the club, I loved being able to see them. You could tell from how teams set up against them just how feared they were despite their age.
I used to love seeing LJ hanging about on the left side halfway and FW would take himself wide-right high up so the other team had to leave one or two to keep an eye on them. Unfortunately (at the time) we didn't have the players to capitalise on the space they'd created just by being who they were.

I remember watching him at Roker Park circa 83 and he absolutely terrorised the Watford (I think) defence. Well for an hour as he could never last any longer 🤣. RIP.

Not even born when he played but, but always remember my dad telling me about the banter in the club in Whitburn whenever there was a debate on sport. Will always remember first hearing this interview 🤣 top class entertainment. RIP.

Back