RIP Leighton James

Something that doesn't seem to happen these days. I remember Steve Ogrizovic as a Minor Counties standard wicketkeeper (played club cricket for Coventry and North Warks in the Birmingham League,),and Gary Shaw also playing Birmingham League for Aston Unity.
It used to happen regularly years back, sure Dickie Ord played for Murton
I remember watching him at Roker Park circa 83 and he absolutely terrorised the Watford (I think) defence. Well for an hour as he could never last any longer 🤣. RIP.
Played in first game I went to, must have been the 83-84 season. He swung a left wing corner in for us to equalise

Last edited:

Remember that game, beat them 3-0. I think finished off one great move with a diving header.
Think the diving header was from Westy. We were attacking the Fulwell End and Leighton ran at Pat Rice on the left then played it to Nick Pickering on the overlap who crossed to the far post where Gary Rowell headed it back and Colin West finished with a diving header.

Over 40 years ago and can still remember it but I can't remember what I had for my tea tonight.:lol:

Im so sad to hear this . I knew Leighton well when he was a Sunderland player ( he lived next door in White Rocks Whitburn) about the time of the miners strike. His wife Linda (a Burnley lass) who I believe passed away . His daughter Jemma was only a baby but will now be in her 40s .

Dear me this is such a shock and my heart goes out to his family . A nice down to earth man and popular in Whiitburn and SAFC where he spent some time also coaching the young lads.

Rest in peace Leighton .

Played in the first game I ever went to, a 9th birthday present with my dad. Sunderland 3 Man City 2. Leighton and Frank Worthington were early favourites and I've always had a soft spot for a flair player since. RIP

Something that doesn't seem to happen these days. I remember Steve Ogrizovic as a Minor Counties standard wicketkeeper (played club cricket for Coventry and North Warks in the Birmingham League,),and Gary Shaw also playing Birmingham League for Aston Unity.

Joe Hart has played in the BPL too.

Longstaff for the mags plays in NEPL I believe

Think the diving header was from Westy. We were attacking the Fulwell End and Leighton ran at Pat Rice on the left then played it to Nick Pickering on the overlap who crossed to the far post where Gary Rowell headed it back and Colin West finished with a diving header.

Over 40 years ago and can still remember it but I can't remember what I had for my tea tonight.:lol:
But you remember that Leighton had Rice on toast on a Saturday teatime 40 years ago.
Longstaff for the mags plays in NEPL I believe
Tynemouth and,to be fair to lad,sponsors them.

Last edited:
RIP.

Great player, from the golden age of great British players and football, who played for clubs like Burnley, QPR, Middlesbrough, Stoke and Leicester etc not just the elite clubs as is generally the case nowadays.
Remember him scoring in both the home and away games for a good Swansea side in the 81/82 , when they did the double over Sunderland that season.

Last edited:
Remember that game, beat them 3-0. I think finished off one great move with a diving header.
We had just beaten Arsenal at Highbury and the place was buzzing.
Leighton James was unplayable that mild, overcast November afternoon. It was the highpoint of Durban's reign.
Last time I saw James was about 20 years or so ago. He was manager of Netherfield ( if memory serves me ) in the dugout at South Shields for a cup game.
Probably his best game for us. 3-0 home win and he absolutely destroyed Pat Rice the ex Arsenal right back.
The temperamental James could destroy anyone on his game but it took someone like Durban to get the best out of him - and by that time he was well past 30 I think

Last edited:
RIP.
Past his best when with us. With us spent most of the game on the half way line no matter where the ball was. Let the LB do all the attacking and defending but was very very handy when he had the ball.

Back