Rio

We spent most of our time at Leblon when down the front. Few quid floating about there it seemed.

When I went I'd heard of all these horror stories about muggings etc so first day was slightly overly cautious. Soon realised not to be. Was loads of daft Yanks wandering about with jewellery and flash tech on the go strolling about. It'll be those with a big "mug me" sign above their heads.

Only place that felt edgy during my time there was when in Sao Paulo.
Me and my ex accidently ended up in Rochina during the day and even then it was have a drink and wait for the bus back to Gavea. When I was there Europeans were pretty much off limits regarding petty crime because the reprisals by the police fucked with drug trade. They wanted as little exposure as possible and dead or injured Europeans created a lot of noise. I felt safer in Rio than in New York.
The north of Brasil was different. Wild place, i got mugged at knife point in a small town on the friday and had to wait till the Monday to leave. I saw my mugger 3 times over the weekend. He even said hello to me once.

Last edited:

Went years ago and noticed a sign on hotel noticeboard advertising trip to semi final at Maracana - think it was Flamengo v Penarol. Sold it to girlfriend, South American equivalent of European Cup, biggest stadium in the world, OK she says. Bus arrives we get on and it picks up at various hotels on way. 2nd last stop and a dozen chanting Penarol fans, head to toe in team colours, get on. We arrive near the stadium and hordes of Flamengo fans charge from all direction to us, banging on the bus, throwing stuff at it. Thought they were going to tip the bus at one point. Never been so relieved to get of a bus and I've done plenty Mag derbies and old firm games.

Went years ago and noticed a sign on hotel noticeboard advertising trip to semi final at Maracana - think it was Flamengo v Penarol. Sold it to girlfriend, South American equivalent of European Cup, biggest stadium in the world, OK she says. Bus arrives we get on and it picks up at various hotels on way. 2nd last stop and a dozen chanting Penarol fans, head to toe in team colours, get on. We arrive near the stadium and hordes of Flamengo fans charge from all direction to us, banging on the bus, throwing stuff at it. Thought they were going to tip the bus at one point. Never been so relieved to get of a bus and I've done plenty Mag derbies and old firm games.
I went to the Campeonato Carioca Final at the Maracana. At the start of the game the stadium was about 2/3 full. They must have opened the gates at half time so by extra time they were people everywhere. Sitting on the ambulances, behind the advertising boards etc. Getting out was a nightmare. The crush was really bad but I didnt want to be stuck around the Maracana after dark so we powered through. My ex lass must have been felt up by about 5 different pairs of grubby paws.
When Flamengo were at their peak with Zico they used to get gates of 100k on a regular basis. Getting away from the stadium must have been like Gladiator school

I went to the Campeonato Carioca Final at the Maracana. At the start of the game the stadium was about 2/3 full. They must have opened the gates at half time so by extra time they were people everywhere. Sitting on the ambulances, behind the advertising boards etc. Getting out was a nightmare. The crush was really bad but I didnt want to be stuck around the Maracana after dark so we powered through. My ex lass must have been felt up by about 5 different pairs of grubby paws.
When Flamengo were at their peak with Zico they used to get gates of 100k on a regular basis. Getting away from the stadium must have been like Gladiator school
The most impressive thing that night was a group of I'd say 1000ish fans in top tier. They started bouncing up and down then bounced half way along the tier!!

Saw Fluminese 0-0 FC Sport. The team from Recife that came second in the league in 1987 behind Flamingo then were awarded the title 27 years later. Also the first team to play Real Madrid under floodlights in a friendly.

Saw Fluminese 0-0 FC Sport. The team from Recife that came second in the league in 1987 behind Flamingo then were awarded the title 27 years later. Also the first team to play Real Madrid under floodlights in a friendly.
I was in Recife when Sport won the campionato Pernambucano in 2005. I didnt go to the match but the fans had a beach party near our hotel so we blended in and got pissed with them. Good dat

Wasn't mugged but some big scary lad asked me for a drink of my bottle of water when I was walking alone so I gave him the full bottle to defuse the situation. Hope this helps.

My favourite city, incredible place

I knew a lass called Rio who danced on sand and the Rio Grande. Just like a river through a dusty land. When she shines she shows me all she can. When she did, I found out she used to be called Ron so I split up with her.

Last edited:

Back