Rio

Been there loads in the 80s. Pity that fish tank, that was in there when it first opened, got smashed.

Whitley Bay was jumping then, with Andy Taylor and Graham Jenkinson’s place named after Duran Durans hit and Philip Sumner opening Dune, named after his brothers latest film nearby and…

… I think I might have misunderstood the thread title.

Abroad I always walk about but in Rio take a taxi. The beach front is safe as it’s well patrolled by police.

I was there in 2015 and didn’t find English widely spoken. A little Portuguese works wonders.

If you want an energy boost get some ‘mate’ drink at kiosks on some beach fronts. It’s the stuff same as in Argentina and Uruguay. It’s an acquired taste!

Try and see a game of football (again, get a taxi to and from the game) with four teams in the city you stand a good chance of seeing one of them.

Buy or download album “Como Dizia O Poeta…” by Vinicius, Marilia Medalha and Toquinho. A Bossa Nova classic which never features on compilations!

Sugar loaf and Christ the redeemer. Incredible. Enjoy!

Going next week. Look at me, look at me. Anyone been?

Everyone I’ve talked to who’s been where I’ve been has been mugged! Surely it’ll be alright, albeit finding it slightly daunting!
I opened this thread hoping it was about the hardwood Brazilian Rosewood, which is nicknamed Rio.

Imagine my dissapointment.

But I hope you have a fabulous holiday. Keep an eye out for train robbers!

Abroad I always walk about but in Rio take a taxi. The beach front is safe as it’s well patrolled by police.

I was there in 2015 and didn’t find English widely spoken. A little Portuguese works wonders.

If you want an energy boost get some ‘mate’ drink at kiosks on some beach fronts. It’s the stuff same as in Argentina and Uruguay. It’s an acquired taste!

Try and see a game of football (again, get a taxi to and from the game) with four teams in the city you stand a good chance of seeing one of them.

Buy or download album “Como Dizia O Poeta…” by Vinicius, Marilia Medalha and Toquinho. A Bossa Nova classic which never features on compilations!

Sugar loaf and Christ the redeemer. Incredible. Enjoy!

Vasco is the only team to go and watch in Rio. The only draw back is that it's up past the Maracana and a bit of a drive.

Ipanema is THE beach to be on. There's a lovely down to earth restaurant just off the main strip called Garota de Ipanema. Their mixed grill is to die for., it's also the place where The Girl From Ipanema was meant to be written.

It's probably changed loads since I lived there, but drop me a DM if you want any tips.

Amazing place. Its got it own rainforest ffs. SugarLoaf is awesome, Cristo is better to look at than look from, Ipanema & Sao Conrado are better than the Copacabana & the Niemeyer art gallery in Niteroi and the views from it are fantastic.
Didnt get mugged. Only really felt unsafe on the way to the Maracana.Not even coming back from the Sambadrome at 2/3 in the morning unlike the Northeast of Brasil where i was mugged and felt unsafe a lot.
Enjoy. Its a mint city, they are a lot of self absorbed wankers there but as long as you're not there to make new friends you should have a brilliant time

Last edited:
Vasco is the only team to go and watch in Rio. The only draw back is that it's up past the Maracana and a bit of a drive.

Ipanema is THE beach to be on. There's a lovely down to earth restaurant just off the main strip called Garota de Ipanema. Their mixed grill is to die for., it's also the place where The Girl From Ipanema was meant to be written.

It's probably changed loads since I lived there, but drop me a DM if you want any tips.
We spent most of our time at Leblon when down the front. Few quid floating about there it seemed.
Amazing place. Its got it own rainforest ffs. SugarLoaf is awesome, Cristo is better to look at than look from, Ipanema & Sao Conrado are better than the Copacabana & the Niemeyer art gallery in Niteroi and the views from it are fantastic.
Didnt get mugged. Only really felt unsafe on the way to the Maracana.Not even coming back from the Sambadrome at 2/3 in the morning unlike the Northeast of Brasil where i was mugged and felt unsafe a lot.
Enjoy. Its a mint city, they are a lot of self absorbed wankers there but as long as you're not there to make new friends you should have a brilliant time
When I went I'd heard of all these horror stories about muggings etc so first day was slightly overly cautious. Soon realised not to be. Was loads of daft Yanks wandering about with jewellery and flash tech on the go strolling about. It'll be those with a big "mug me" sign above their heads.

Only place that felt edgy during my time there was when in Sao Paulo.

Last edited:
We spent most of our time at Leblon when down the front. Few quid floating about there it seemed.

When I went I'd heard of all these horror stories about muggings etc so first day was slightly overly cautious. Soon realised not to be. Was loads of daft Yanks wandering about with jewellery and flash tech on the go strolling about. It'll be those with a big "mug me" sign above their heads.

Only place that felt edgy during my time there was when in Sao Paulo.

Loads of people make the mistake of flashing the cash. A yank got shot at in his car when he accidentally flashed a load of notes to a begger and give him a stingy amount. Thankfully he got away without any injuries.

I once had to attend a match at the Maracana with bloke who was working with my dad. He turned up with a pink jumper and an umbrella when we were in with all the locals🤦

I used to get a local taxi back from school (15 at the time) and my younger brother (13) on our tod. Just play it all low-key and avoid flashing anything expensive to the wrong people.

Back