Riley's Fish Shack

Is it all it's cracked up to be? Jay Rayner has raved about it but he also raved about that Garden House Inn in Durham and it was absolutely terrible when I went.

Overhyped, but still very very nice. The Cook house in Ouseburn is also overhyped after being on Hidden Restaurants, but it too is still rather pleasant.

Basically TV chefs/food critics are slightly OTT.

Last edited:
I love it like, the foods alright, tasty.

But its just the location and atmosphere, I go for a few beers and oysters on a day time when its dead and can just walk in

Wouldn't wait on a night time in line for it

Its a great little spot though

Only been once but was Saturday just before midday and went for lunch. As others have said, there was a big queue - waited maybe 45/50mins for a table?
Food was really good though. And the view/ambience is amazing.
It's not cheap but i genuinely think its good value for what you get with quality of ingredients and location etc.

Is it all it's cracked up to be? Jay Rayner has raved about it but he also raved about that Garden House Inn in Durham and it was absolutely terrible when I went.
Went not long after his cabin arrived on the beach. Had monkfish @£12 which i though was expensive for street food but it was very tasty and the seafood appeared fresh. Good atmosphere as well which helps.

Had a pint there. Ordered some tateys as they only have a food beer license thing. Tateys weren't ready by the time we left.

I wouldn't be queuing for 50 minutes for an evening meal mind.

been there a couple of times. last summer, just before 11 on the saturday. got a couple of pints, ordered food and got a table on the balcony. if you're not in a mad rush and able to sit off and relax / have a pint or other drink, then it's recommended. if the weather's decent, then sitting off on the beach for a bit, isn't too bad ;)

suppose, seeing the queue snaking back up the path, could put you off.

We went on a random week day in autumn and still queued for around 40 minutes. Thoroughly enjoyed the food and the whole ambiance/setting. Everyone else appeared to be tourists from all over the UK and beyond, a really nice atmosphere. Well done to the lads that run it and hats of to jay Rayner, even if his review was a bit ott!

Think it’s class. Shame there’s not more places like this seeing as how we live in the coast. We tend to just sit on the beach and eat. Granted it’s expensive but the atmosphere is great. Last time we pain about £10 for mackerel and homemade flat bread.

Does it allow dogs inside or do you have to sit outside?

I’m off next week, so I’m planning to take the dog upto Northumberlandia and then head to Tynemouth for lunch and run about on the beach in the afternoon.

Personally I think it's overrated, and expensive for what it is. I had the monkfish last time and they had cooked all of the taste out of it. I love fish but personally wouldn't go back. It is a great location though!

Don’t they charge £12 or summat for mackerel? Mackerel? Bloody mackerel that costs pennies....

Correct.

The food's good - not great, but good. It's horrendously expensive for what you get.

They don't put the prices on their website. A simple prices may vary statement. They could still give an approximation but they won't as no bugger would go there for a £12 mackerel wrap

Does it allow dogs inside or do you have to sit outside?

I’m off next week, so I’m planning to take the dog upto Northumberlandia and then head to Tynemouth for lunch and run about on the beach in the afternoon.

There are loads of better places to eat on Tynemouth main drag . Most seem to allow dogs

Back