Rightmove Voyeurism

It is insane that anyone would pay £1m+ for a small damp infested flat above a shop, next to a busy road, just to be in London.

A 1 hour to 1 hour 20 commute away, you can get these in the same price bracket. Whitstable and Canterbury are more expensive than the surrounding area too:
Check out this property for sale on Rightmove!

I really quite like the 3rd one and the Windmill is canny too.

It is insane that anyone would pay £1m+ for a small damp infested flat above a shop, next to a busy road, just to be in London.

A 1 hour to 1 hour 20 commute away, you can get these in the same price bracket. Whitstable and Canterbury are more expensive than the surrounding area too:

I really quite like the 3rd one and the Windmill is canny too.

I think the idea is that you live up top and run a business out of the commercial space below, but aye, f***ing rank.

Decent kips but I've been to both Whitstable and Canterbury and they're both proper shite.

I was more focussing on your definition of a successful career tbh.
Well the discussion was originally can Joe Average afford a dream house. I think the point is that you’d need to be on that kind of career arc. Obviously there are many jobs that pay much better with less qualification - offshore for example - but working a 9-5 in most factories isn’t going to get you a half million gaff.

Well the discussion was originally can Joe Average afford a dream house. I think the point is that you’d need to be on that kind of career arc. Obviously there are many jobs that pay much better with less qualification - offshore for example - but working a 9-5 in most factories isn’t going to get you a half million gaff.

I don't think anyone will disagree can that.

Just life that tho.

If I was still married and we both inherited shares of our parents houses, then with our combined salary we could have easily been in a half million house. Unfortunately life didn’t quite pan out that way :lol:

I’ve heard you can now get a 40yr mortgage
All about discipline. I’ve got mine on a longer term than I intend to have. However banks have stress tests where they say based on their numbers you can only afford £x amount a month. The way around that is a longer term & overpaying.

My point of view is, if you’re clever enough to lend enough money to buy a house, you’ve got to be clever enough to do a little bit basic maths & future planning.

There’ll still be idiots who say it’s the banks fault when they haven’t paid it off into old age.

All about discipline. I’ve got mine on a longer term than I intend to have. However banks have stress tests where they say based on their numbers you can only afford £x amount a month. The way around that is a longer term & overpaying.

My point of view is, if you’re clever enough to lend enough money to buy a house, you’ve got to be clever enough to do a little bit basic maths & future planning.

There’ll still be idiots who say it’s the banks fault when they haven’t paid it off into old age.
I was mortgage free but remortgaged 2 years ago as equity release to buy some land. I was 43 with no financial commitment to anyone but I’m hoping a gamble might sort us and the bairn out so we don’t have to have our pants down by the banks for very long

I was mortgage free but remortgaged 2 years ago as equity release to buy some land. I was 43 with no financial commitment to anyone but I’m hoping a gamble might sort us and the bairn out so we don’t have to have our pants down by the banks for very long
Step by step for me, but first part is get under 60% LTV so I’ve got the best deals available to me on the table. I’ll breathe a little easier then.

Equity release is a no brainer if you need to borrow because it’ll always be the cheapest option. It’s just a case of putting a plan in place & making sure you’re comfortable with payments & timescales. I see too many people who are nearing retirement who have taken far too much on & didn’t really have a plan in their own head where the end point was. They think there’s a god given right the bank will finance them well into retirement when they have no strong income. Then there’s others who are clever with it.

Back