Ricky Gervais Armageddon

There you go trying to hog the limelight again
Eh??? How am I trying to hog the limelight? I'm an anonymous poster on a football message board. If I wanted to do as you're suggesting I'd make sure I got on radio or TV.
That's a ridiculous statement to make and nothing could be further from the truth.

Out of curiosity, to the people who say that the shocking stuff is fine,kes should be allowed it's just jokes etc.... What would the reaction be if he got in stage and made some jokes about Bradley Lowery? Not a million miles from what he does (disabled bairns, cancer jokes, picking on those in bad circumstances). Would that still fall under the "you can joke about anything?" Craic?

It's either all okay or none of it is. The variables are time, place and audience. Intent I suppose is important too.

If I found a joke to be in bad taste because the subject had a personal connection to me, I still wouldnt be demanding apologies.

Far too many people expect the rest of society to centre their individual feelings all the time, and comedy is one of casualties of this.

Mental... To me it feels like it was written by a 9 year old who's just discovered the C word. All the characters are paper thin and largely pointless, the jokes are obvious and the dead wife crack just feels crass and manipulative. Truly awful stuff.
It's maudling, overly depressing nonsense interspersed with the main character just being rude as fck. It's basic as basic gets like. Hoy some really sentimental stuff in to make it look a bit cleverer and serious writing.
Eh??? How am I trying to hog the limelight? I'm an anonymous poster on a football message board. If I wanted to do as you're suggesting I'd make sure I got on radio or TV.
That's a ridiculous statement to make and nothing could be further from the truth.
There's that sense of humour you were going on about again.

Last edited:
Watched a bit last night and it's like a great bands 4th album
The novelty has gone , they sound like themselves but not as good etc
He needs to go away and come back when he's found something new to say
You can only use Baldy cancer kid , god making the world ,cock,****,etc so many times
More like 10th. Led Zep 4, 2112, Kid A etc.

I agree with the rest mind, I only laughed about 3 times.
Wasn’t overly impressed with it

Paul Smith comedian whose only funny schtick is audience interaction
That often happens when a compere goes full show. I'm assuming that's what he made his name as anyway as his whole act is that of one.
must be difficult to keep coming up with new material for stand up.
It might be why he keeps repeating himself to block out time. The one about a year ago was a tranny bashing fest, with other things that kept repeating the same joke too.

Rubbish. First half hour I'm not even entirely sure if it was meant to be funny.

Second half got a few laughs, but only a few. Really, really poor.

Watched first 20 mins last night , never laughed once. Some on point observations (imho) but not funny
Haven’t seen it yet but this would serve as a decent critique of any clips I’ve seen of Bill Hicks. The bloke seems to be absolutely revered by many on this board but all I ever saw of him was an angry misanthrope having a rant for $50 a ticket. As you say, some cutting observations but nowt to laugh about.

I watched it last night and it was far from his best work. It’s now awful but he’s definitely pushing the shock element over more developed jokes. Some chuckles but nothing that had me creasing. Felt like a bit of a rehash of SuperNature to be honest.

His best for me were Politics and Science, must have rewatched those countless times and there’s some brilliant jokes in them.

Haven’t seen it yet but this would serve as a decent critique of any clips I’ve seen of Bill Hicks. The bloke seems to be absolutely revered by many on this board but all I ever saw of him was an angry misanthrope having a rant for $50 a ticket. As you say, some cutting observations but nowt to laugh about.
I'm not alone in wondering what the Bill Hicks fuss was about. He didn't even do the massive exaggerations that Americans require to tell them it's a joke, so I had even less inclination to laugh than I usually do at them.

Different times mate hes been dead 30 years.
Hicks was funny in parts as there were fewer outspoken comics 'back when the world was young ' . Plus he could act a bit to get his points over.

Back