Ricky Gervais Armageddon

Guy Incognito

Goalkeeper
Have seen the clips going round on social media, dear me it looks awful. Think it’s pretty evident now who the actual funny one was out of him and Stephen Merchant.

Has anyone on here watched it and got anything positive to say about it?

Have seen the clips going round on social media, dear me it looks awful. Think it’s pretty evident now who the actual funny one was out of him and Stephen Merchant.

My son did, so I asked him your question.

He said its only an hour long.

Not a patch on his other stuff he said, told me to not bother wasting my time watching it.

His original comedy stuff was really good (which I think he co-wrote most of it with Merchant) and Afterlife is brilliant so he's certainly got funny in him

But I wonder if it bothers him that globally people associate the Office with Steve Carrell and not him so he's decided to go down another path.

Since his pretty funny stints on the Golden Globes (which were made funnier by it being to an American audience that just aren't used to that approach) he seems to have gone down the shock route - his stuff literally seems to be designed for Twitter and youtube shorts. A bit like that Paul Smith comedian whose only funny schtick is audience interaction

Love most of his telly stuff
Liked the early stand up stuff but don't watching them back.
Haven't enjoyed last efforts on stand up .
It's all a bit samey and wears thin
His original comedy stuff was really good (which I think he co-wrote most of it with Merchant) and Afterlife is brilliant so he's certainly got funny in him

But I wonder if it bothers him that globally people associate the Office with Steve Carrell and not him so he's decided to go down another path.

Since his pretty funny stints on the Golden Globes (which were made funnier by it being to an American audience that just aren't used to that approach) he seems to have gone down the shock route - his stuff literally seems to be designed for Twitter and youtube shorts. A bit like that Paul Smith comedian whose only funny schtick is audience interaction
I watched an interview with Graham lineham where he's pretty much been frozen out of work practically bankrupting him for his views on transgender stuff yet Ricky just goes there all under the " it's not me saying it " guise etc .

Last edited:
Used to be funny, he just seems to be trying too hard these days
True.

Steve Coogan admits that Alan Partridge shares some of his traits.
I watched Alpha Papa on BBC3 last night for the first time since I saw it at the pictures. Michael’s the Geordie jumping over the pier at the end man! It’s not often I laugh out loud at things but that did it.

Last edited:

Aye I’ve watched it. It’s funny in parts, very close to the edge regularly but he does that thing where he steps out of the role to explain and distance the real him from the things he has just said meaning it’s NOT racist, Not homophobic, not anti Muslim etc etc.

It’s a clever strategy and he can defend it robustly. So it’s a qualified yes from me but not as funny as some of his earlier stuff.

Love most of his telly stuff
Liked the early stand up stuff but don't watching them back.
Haven't enjoyed last efforts on stand up .
It's all a bit samey and wears thin

I watched an interview with Graham lineham where he's pretty much been frozen out of work practically bankrupting him for his views on transgender stuff yet Ricky just goes there all under the " it's not me saying it " guise etc .
I think a big part of why Linehan has ended up where he is has a lot to do with his agression, alliances which have seen him support people with vews on issues other than gender which he had previously attacked and that he has become a one note voice often concentrating on himself and the lack of separation between his personal views and his comedy which leads to ever decreasing circles. His personality has tipped so far that his wife couldn't cope with it.

He has declared himself to be protecting women and children but his methods and lack of empathy make him difficult for some women, who are making the strong case that women's rights are threatened by transgender rights, to be comfortable alongside.

Back