Ricky Gervais Armageddon

I once saw him at Sunderland Empire and was very funny. Probably the best comedian I've seen. So, no, he was the funny one.
I was at that show I think. Was that the one with the Ethiopian with M.E.who couldn’t be arsed to fetch the water? Fantastic show.

Re. Armageddon, I thought it was mainly very good, although there is a sense that we are in the home straight of his stand up.

Not funny at all these days. If anyone ever says they like Afterlife I get concerned because it’s a steaming pile of shite. Massive shame because The Office is probably my favourite comedy programme ever and Extras was mostly really good too.
Was that him wandering around all sad cos his missus had died? What a festering load of miserable crap that was. Our lass had it on. Kept waiting for a punch line and none came. As a drama it was dreadful. Just wallowing in misery.

Was that him wandering around all sad cos his missus had died? What a festering load of miserable crap that was. Our lass had it on. Kept waiting for a punch line and none came. As a drama it was dreadful. Just wallowing in misery.
Wow. I thought After Life was absolutely superb.

I’ve just watched Armageddon and it was OK. Watchable, with some funny bits but but nowhere near his best.

The Office has dated but was brilliant in its day. Extras is fantastic. Derek and Life’s Too Short had their moments.

It would be boring if everybody found the same stuff funny. Some people find Michael MacIntyre funny FFS.

Watched a bit last night and it's like a great bands 4th album
The novelty has gone , they sound like themselves but not as good etc
He needs to go away and come back when he's found something new to say
You can only use Baldy cancer kid , god making the world ,cock,****,etc so many times

Aye I’ve watched it. It’s funny in parts, very close to the edge regularly but he does that thing where he steps out of the role to explain and distance the real him from the things he has just said meaning it’s NOT racist, Not homophobic, not anti Muslim etc etc.

It’s a clever strategy and he can defend it robustly. So it’s a qualified yes from me but not as funny as some of his earlier stuff.

It IS him, though. Ricky Gervais was the one who thought of the ‘observations’, wrote them down and scripted the show containing his views on life.

No good pretending it’s not ‘ the real him ‘ saying it and he’s acting a part . It IS you, Ricky and it ain’t funny, just nasty and cruel in parts with zero humour.

I watched about 8-10 minutes and switched it off.

In all honesty I don’t think he was ever a stand up act, now he’s proven beyond doubt he’s not.

I’ve not seen it, is he still pretending that he ‘can’t say these things’, whilst being paid millions for saying them on the worlds biggest streaming service?

I’ve not seen it, is he still pretending that he ‘can’t say these things’, whilst being paid millions for saying them on the worlds biggest streaming service?
Maybe the joke’s on us for continuing to choose to pay money to NetFlix, and indirectly to him.

Still…. at least we can let off steam about it by having a jolly good foot stamp on a social media football supporters’ message boar. 😀

I used to really enjoy his stuff. His Golden Globes monologues were always decent and drove home some ironies. It feels like he’s just regurgitating the same material with the tiniest slant on it now and it’s quite predictable. If you haven’t seen much of him before I’d imagine he’s quite enjoyable if you like that more miserable comedy. There are better acts out there for that sort of thing.

I watched Armageddon the other day and managed a forced chuckle a couple of times but that was it.

Glad I didn’t manage to get the (£120!) tickets for his show at the Newcastle City Hall earlier in the year.

Last edited:
Fantastic at "punching up" (like Golden Gloves), but seems to prefer the easier life of "punching down" and then pretending it doesn't matter because it's just jokes.

Continually talks about being cancelled or shut out for his jokes despite getting huge sums of money and recognition despite them.

I love his early stuff, and think he is clearly quite talented - good joke teller, witty, got a clear style etc.... He is just so, so convinced he's some kind of maverick sticking it to the system, he tells "shocking" jokes for the sake of it, just to be shocking, which is stupid.

Out of curiosity, to the people who say that the shocking stuff is fine,kes should be allowed it's just jokes etc.... What would the reaction be if he got in stage and made some jokes about Bradley Lowery? Not a million miles from what he does (disabled bairns, cancer jokes, picking on those in bad circumstances). Would that still fall under the "you can joke about anything?" Craic?

Last edited:

Back