Rice (cos I'm thick as)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just cooked 170g of dry rice, 85g for now and 85g to have cold later. The total weight was about 480g after being cooked.

The back of the pack says 100g of rice (cooked as per instructions) contains 117 calories.

Now does this mean that my 170g of dry rice has 200 calories in it when dry and 561 when cooked, or does cooking rice not change the calories?

I have no idea and don't want to be eating 280 calories of rice per serving.

I've just cooked 170g of dry rice, 85g for now and 85g to have cold later. The total weight was about 480g after being cooked.

The back of the pack says 100g of rice (cooked as per instructions) contains 117 calories.

Now does this mean that my 170g of dry rice has 200 calories in it when dry and 561 when cooked, or does cooking rice not change the calories?

I have no idea and don't want to be eating 280 calories of rice per serving.

How the fuck did you get into any university, let alone York?

:lol:

Just apply a bit of logic man.

If you're boiling 170g of which contains x kCal, where would the hypothetical additional kCal be coming from?

I'm questioning the wording of the packet.

It says 100g (cooked per instructions) contains 117 calories. I've been measuring 100g before cooking thinking it meant that 100g of dry rice had 117 calories, but now I don't know if it means that 100g after cooking contains 117 calories.

The extra weight is the water you absolute spanner.

Does cooking it not change the rice somehow and make it more calorific?

I know I'm thick as fuck and not logical at all but I can't shake the idea now that I've been eating 100g of rice that is actually 280 and not 117 calories per serving

Cooking foods tends to make the calories more bioavailable but the nutritional information is determined by a bomb calorimeter, which is a measure of the energy in food, not how available it is.

So all that says is that there are less calories available in 100g of uncooked rice than there are in 100g of cooked rice - but that's based on you having digestive enzymes which struggle to access chemical bonds in unprocessed plant produce. The bomb calorimeter does not distinguish.

It says 100g (cooked per instructions) contains 117 calories. I've been measuring 100g before cooking thinking it meant that 100g of dry rice had 117 calories, but now I don't know if it means that 100g after cooking contains 117 calories.

100g grams of rice (cooked per instructions) typically refers to cooked weight.

Probably a trick to get you to use more rice than you need by not telling you how much 1g of dry rice weighs once it's cooked.

Does cooking it not change the rice somehow and make it more calorific?

I know I'm thick as fuck and not logical at all but I can't shake the idea now that I've been eating 100g of rice that is actually 280 and not 117 calories per serving

Not unless you've invented magic.

100g grams of rice (cooked per instructions) typically refers to cooked weight.

So I've been wrong in thinking that 100g of dry rice has 117 calories in it, when actually it's 100g of cooked rice that has 117 calories in it?

I've been eating nearly 300 calories per serving of rice then. f***ing hell. No more rice for me

Probably a trick to get you to use more rice than you need by not telling you how much 1g of dry rice weighs once it's cooked.

Not unless you've invented magic.

So instead of using 100g of dried rice I should really only be using about 40g then?

Oooh. I've been reading up and apparently they've stopped using bomb calorimetry and now just use a standard table based on macronutrient composition.

So presumably this does take into account indigestible components like cellulose.

So I've been wrong in thinking that 100g of dry rice has 117 calories in it, when actually it's 100g of cooked rice that has 117 calories in it?

I've been eating nearly 300 calories per serving of rice then. f***ing hell. No more rice for me

So instead of using 100g of dried rice I should really only be using about 40g then?

Googling "calories in rice" would seem to suggest that 100g of uncooked white rice contains about 365 calories.

Googling "calories in rice" would seem to suggest that 100g of uncooked white rice contains about 365 calories.

Well this is depressing. Bastard.

Going to have to throw away the food I've cooked for later, am I fuck eating rice ever again

I know I'm thick mind but how thick do you have to be to not put on the packet calories in dried rice? FFS

100g of dry rice makes a load of rice (about a portion and a half). Why would you think such a carb heavy food would be so low in calories?

Well this blows, means I'm going to have to go through everything I've eaten with rice and increase the calories now
Have you been eating any more dried foods? If so, you may find your super noodles are a lot more than 80 cal per pack.

100g of dry rice makes a load of rice (about a portion and a half). Why would you think such a carb heavy food would be so low in calories?

Have you been eating any more dried foods? If so, you may find your super noodles are a lot more than 80 cal per pack.

Never really thought about it tbh. Feel awful now. Probably means I've gone way over my calorie count even with doing 600 calories of cardio every day.

Just looked at the packet, measured and then used that. Never thought it meant cooked!

Wish I could vom it back up but I don't fancy an eating disorder

You're only having 85g (dry) at a time though?

That's fuck all and with some chicken and veg or whatever anyway.

You're only having 85g (dry) at a time though?

That's fuck all and with some chicken and veg or whatever anyway.

Worked out as 473 calories and I don't want to be eating that many as I'm supposed to stick to 1,500-1,700 a day and bring that down to about 1000 with exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back