Reserving tables in a pub

I'm going to go militant on this and say it's not even acceptable when having food. If you want to book a table to eat food, go to a restaurant. If you want food in a pub, you take your chances with everyone else.
I'd agree if it was an old fashioned pub but given the proliferation of pub restaurants booking a table for meals in the latter is only sensible.

Not for a meal, just for a drink.

A good thing or a bad thing?

The local has been increasingly doing it for regulars. You come in, think there’s a table available, but then notice a little slate with the reserved time on it.

I tend to think it’s a bad thing as pubs are about just turning up and having a drink but, as I’m a hypocrite and I like to sit these days, I’ve just reserved a table but feel a bit dirty for doing so.

It’ll be a cracking thing at Christmas when the part-timers clog up the pubs, but I’m not too certain the rest of the year.

A good or a bad idea? Or is it not done in the North East?
Surely an indication the pub is doing well? I'd hate it mind but around here they'd be dragging folk in off the street in any case 😂

I'm going to go militant on this and say it's not even acceptable when having food. If you want to book a table to eat food, go to a restaurant. If you want food in a pub, you take your chances with everyone else.
If it was a Spoons like was mentioned I'd never book but have booked at our local Hungry horse if there is a big group of us family, to make sure we are sat together. Would be a bit shit otherwise

Going for a meal and just hoping they have a free table?
That's a terrible idea man.

Depends on where you are. If you want to go to a particular place at a particular time then booking is fine especially if there aren't other options nearby but often on holiday half the fun is wandering around seeing which restaurants look interesting and have a free table.

The only place where I've ever seen it in operation is Cask Lounge in South Shields. Most became available well before the slot ended so it was a bit odd.

Having just Googled the chain, I would imagine that is almost a guarantee.
Well it would be with a group of 15 and split into 3 or 4 groups so you can't eat together and have a bit laugh together. It's a local cheap and easy place and I thought the thread was about is it acceptable to book tables or not? Not a food review of what people would like to eat or not. :confused:
Depends on where you are. If you want to go to a particular place at a particular time then booking is fine especially if there aren't other options nearby but often on holiday half the fun is wandering around seeing which restaurants look interesting and have a free table.
Depends on the party group size. If it was just me and the ball and chain, then fine, but if you're meeting others they may need to put tables together so you can all sit together

Last edited:
Love the idea of booking a table, do it everytime we meet in the local to watch the football or just have an afternoon out....

Imagine being pissed off because you can't get a table when other people have planned ahead to have a comfortable day/night out in the local....
Takes about 30 seconds to do on an app....
My local has the time the table is booked from, so happy for people to use it until the booked time....

Table service is great as well, order your next drink before you've finished your current one, comes quickly, no standing, no one pushing in at the bar getting you annoyed....

Im just used to it now - standard practice most places over here now. Nightmare when the hockeys on, good job I just sit at the bar

Back