Reserving tables in a pub

Not for a meal, just for a drink.

A good thing or a bad thing?

The local has been increasingly doing it for regulars. You come in, think there’s a table available, but then notice a little slate with the reserved time on it.

I tend to think it’s a bad thing as pubs are about just turning up and having a drink but, as I’m a hypocrite and I like to sit these days, I’ve just reserved a table but feel a bit dirty for doing so.

It’ll be a cracking thing at Christmas when the part-timers clog up the pubs, but I’m not too certain the rest of the year.

A good or a bad idea? Or is it not done in the North East?

Ridiculous in my opinion.

I'm out tomorrow night with some mates just for drinks and one of them has reserved a table.

Not a fan of it
It's great to think the 6 of you will get a table but who dares wins I say .
My brother spends a fortune in the Bell and has a favourite table they reserve . If a bar does it for nailed on regulars fair enough but you'll get no shows if you reserve for anyone . Plus the tables out if use well before . Etc

Nah, doesn’t sound like the types of pubs I want to frequent. Just hang about people’s tables long enough for them to get uncomfortable & sit down in their seat as they’re putting their coats on.

If there’s a big match on the TV or a quiz, then it’s good to be able to reserve a table. Otherwise it’s a chew on.
I guess the pubs want to sell food so they encourage it.

The Chester’s and fire station do this but it says from what time so as long as you vacate the table beforehand I see no issues. I don’t do it myself but would if it was for food.

Not for a meal, just for a drink.

A good thing or a bad thing?

The local has been increasingly doing it for regulars. You come in, think there’s a table available, but then notice a little slate with the reserved time on it.

I tend to think it’s a bad thing as pubs are about just turning up and having a drink but, as I’m a hypocrite and I like to sit these days, I’ve just reserved a table but feel a bit dirty for doing so.

It’ll be a cracking thing at Christmas when the part-timers clog up the pubs, but I’m not too certain the rest of the year.

A good or a bad idea? Or is it not done in the North East?
Definitely a bad thing but I will expect you to book one next time I visit. :lol:
As mentioned above, The Chesters does it which is annoying but there could quite often be a couple of hours until the reservation and people avoid the tables with reserved on so you can grab one.
In a pub in Grasmere last year and every table was reserved and the place was half empty. Some of the reservations were five hours away but people were coming in, seeing all the reserved signs and walking out again.

One of our crowd did it a couple of years ago in The Peacock at Christmas. Felt a bit shan as the place was rammed (there was an England match on). We stayed all night but didn't feel right.

Only for food, as mentioned a bit ridiculous, or in the clurb
Eeeeeeee that's Tommy's seat 🙄 he's sat there for 20 years.

My local pubs have done this since Covid.

Annoying as fuck, especially when the wankers who book them turn up late

Food only.

I agree.

But then I like to drink in wet pubs.

If I want food prefer to go to restaurant.
Hate pubs that do this. Convinced it's no better for trade as well, though this is based on nothing but vibes.

I think it became more popular during covid when due to restrictions there was : seating only / rule of 6 that pubs would take a deposit to ensure that they'd have custom.

Last edited:
The promenade is the worst for this, the staff hate it as well due to chew off customers. Should be abolished except for food.

Hate table service for drinks like, it’s one the frustrating things about the US. Far, far easier to just get up and go to the bar. I like having the chance to get up and wander to the bar and mix it up anyway rather than just sit.

Back