Reserving tables in a pub

Place around the corner from me, take reservations. Yes, it does food as well but often all the tables are reserved and there's literally not a single person sitting there for an hour or so but they won't let you have a beer and sit down which would last 15 minutes or so. Stupid and a money losing activity.
Another bar I go to always has all its tables reserved. At least they put the time next to the reservation so you can sit down and have a drink.

Place around the corner from me, take reservations. Yes, it does food as well but often all the tables are reserved and there's literally not a single person sitting there for an hour or so but they won't let you have a beer and sit down which would last 15 minutes or so. Stupid and a money losing activity.
Another bar I go to always has all its tables reserved. At least they put the time next to the reservation so you can sit down and have a drink.
There's loads around the city like that. I'll sit on the table til someone comes if they don't not a problem. If it says booked from 5 and it's 6 with nobody there I'll just hoy the chalkboard away.

that happened in the peacock one friday afternoon. I was sitting having a pint at the small round table at the far end. I saw a woman walking towards me and she said she had the table reserved and stood there looking at me. I looked at all the other bigger tables and gestured towards them with a swooping arm and then she said she had this one reserved 😄

I like table service, but I don't like table reservations. Not having to move to get another drink is great.
This. Table reservations are crap. Fair enough if people are booking for food, but not for drinks.

But aye, I've never really seen the appeal of having to go to the bar, especially when it's rammed. Stand there knowing people are trying to push in. Or you know you should be served but the bar staff don't know who to serve (so invariably just serve whichever bird has the biggest chebs). Plus if you go for a drink by yourself at any time you're risking losing your table, or if you leave your stuff there you worry it'll get stolen. If I'm with a mate I want to spend the time catching up with them, not queuing at a bar.

An app which I can easily send the order, the bar staff can get to it in the order it arrived, and delivered straight to my table is ideal, especially if a bar is packed.

It's annoying piling back to the blue bell after a match and every table has a sign on it like.

Possibly one of those 'if you can't beat them, join them' situations though.

Not for a meal, just for a drink.

A good thing or a bad thing?

The local has been increasingly doing it for regulars. You come in, think there’s a table available, but then notice a little slate with the reserved time on it.

I tend to think it’s a bad thing as pubs are about just turning up and having a drink but, as I’m a hypocrite and I like to sit these days, I’ve just reserved a table but feel a bit dirty for doing so.

It’ll be a cracking thing at Christmas when the part-timers clog up the pubs, but I’m not too certain the rest of the year.

A good or a bad idea? Or is it not done in the North East?
I reserved some seats on the train today so I could drink my beer. But the table was covered in Guinness. Then the cleaner came along and did a really good job cleaning it up. <3

Anyway, that’s the closest I’ve ever come to reserving a table while I’m on the lash.

Not for a meal, just for a drink.

A good thing or a bad thing?

The local has been increasingly doing it for regulars. You come in, think there’s a table available, but then notice a little slate with the reserved time on it.

I tend to think it’s a bad thing as pubs are about just turning up and having a drink but, as I’m a hypocrite and I like to sit these days, I’ve just reserved a table but feel a bit dirty for doing so.

It’ll be a cracking thing at Christmas when the part-timers clog up the pubs, but I’m not too certain the rest of the year.

A good or a bad idea? Or is it not done in the North East?
I thought reserving tables in pubs was a thing of the past when lockdowns finished.

It's annoying piling back to the blue bell after a match and every table has a sign on it like.

Possibly one of those 'if you can't beat them, join them' situations though.
There's a bunch of crushing bores who reserve the same table in the Blue Bell every Sunday :)

Back