Relegation 'hangover' Aug 70 - Jan' 73......

• Thread starter Deleted member 6830
  • Start date

Surely that’s first not ‘only’. Owen Hargreaves and Jadon Sancho spring to mind
Yes you are right, first, I stand corrected. I am not sure about Sancho as I thought he played for Man City. I will check my Wikipedia

Started supporting the lads in the previous relegation season, remember a few games with seemingly big crowds but only in the 20K's, didn't know any different.

Couple of seasons before the cup winning year I recall as dull, low crowds and little entertainment. 72/73 started the same way but the second half of the season, obviously the cup win and rocketing up the table provided a stepping stone to the following couple of years. They were good, but that team got up a year or two too late and we ended up with an old team in the top flight.

Started supporting the lads in the previous relegation season, remember a few games with seemingly big crowds but only in the 20K's, didn't know any different.

Couple of seasons before the cup winning year I recall as dull, low crowds and little entertainment. 72/73 started the same way but the second half of the season, obviously the cup win and rocketing up the table provided a stepping stone to the following couple of years. They were good, but that team got up a year or two too late and we ended up with an old team in the top flight.

Good point. Was there a case for bringing the likes of Rowell & Arnott in earlier in 76/77 ? Wonder what effect it would have had.

I don’t know, sometimes it seems to me that our modern history began in 1973 and what went before is lost in the mists of time. I went with my granddad and have some good memories of matchdays as a boy. Marin Harvey, Joe Baker...it’s almost a lifetime away.

Martin Harvey was a great player. If he had not been injured at Norwich in Mar 72 I would not have been surprised if he would have captained the Cup side of 73. The malaise around the club was lack of investment. The Board struggled to find the money for Watson. The overdraft was very nearly at it's limit. The addition of new directors, Alan Martin, Maurice Bewick and Fred Stewart and the retirement of Stanley Ritson and Jack Cooke gave the club more finance through a change of bank and the overdraft limit was doubled and a bit more. Tom Cowie was also asked but declined - a bullet missed there but he came back to haunt us later. Before that at times it was not sure that the cheque for the groundstaff wages would be accepted at the bank on the Thursday morning. The first thing the new Board did was not renew Alan Brown's contract - Billy Elliott was put in temporary charge. Crowds did not improve but Watson was moved to No 5. Jackie Milburn was held in high regard by all the NE clubs. He was asked about Bob Stokoe and the Directors made an approach with them making a well-publicised trip to Blackpool and waiting in the Hydro Hotel for permission to speak to Bob after agreeing terms with Blackpool. It was said that they had actually met with Bob the weekend before at Jack Ditchburn's house. Bob agreed and came over as manager. The momentum from the start of the Cup run was enough to increase the crowds - over 40000 at home v Oxford for example.

Nice post mate.

Wasn't Oxford one of the voucher games for a final ticket, or semi? I'm sure I recall going along to try to get a semi or a final ticket, missed out on both though

No line up for pies in those seasons.

yet despite all the shite a 2-2 draw at Man City and we were lined up around Roker at 6 in the morning wanting tickets. Glad we did as well.

Sometimes you keep the faith and the faith actually f***ing works. Not often mind you. But sometimes.

My first game v Coventry 69/70 26000 and second one in the same season v Spurs 13000 (we won 2-1) so the writing was on the wall about low crowds then.
If I remember correctly the club decided to spend in the late sixties a lot of dosh on the then training facilities at Washington thus depriving the team of investment.
And yes I was at the 5-2 Swindon game and I also went to see us play the British 11 Olympic team. All amateurs. We lost.

Yes it was a voucher game. The decision was taken to use a lucky voucher system, once Season Ticket Holders had been able to purchase tickets. Oxford took home more than what they made in a home game with their share of the gate receipts. That was the beginning of 13 hour days and matches to be played as usual. Great times. Total admin staff at the time - 5 - supplemented by Fred Bailey (Charge hand at the time) and the head of the matchday staff. How many work in the ticket office these days? We didn't have a ticket office and tickets had to be printed, checked and then set up for sale.

I think there was a malaise around the club not dissimilar from the last two seasons. Brown as I recall was not a popular manager & we didn't make a serious promotion challenge till the season after the cup win when I think we missed out by 2 points. Obviously crowds picked up in 74/75 as we were competing with Man Utd for most of that season although we know how it ended. The promotion season (75/76) we averaged over 30,000 at home.

Pretty much as I remember it. While McColl clearly had to go, with hindsight bringing Brown back and expecting him to repeat what he'd done before was a mistake, and even then (58-64) we were out of the top flight for 6 years before getting back. They stuck with him far longer than they should have, and it was really only the very real prospect of relegation in 1972/3 that finally decided it. In the interim, many people had decided they couldn't hack it, and it was only the Cup run under Stokoe that brought people back in large numbers.

Pretty much as I remember it. While McColl clearly had to go, with hindsight bringing Brown back and expecting him to repeat what he'd done before was a mistake, and even then (58-64) we were out of the top flight for 6 years before getting back. They stuck with him far longer than they should have, and it was really only the very real prospect of relegation in 1972/3 that finally decided it. In the interim, many people had decided they couldn't hack it, and it was only the Cup run under Stokoe that brought people back in large numbers.
McColl was a disaster.
The board made a mistake in not giving job to George Hardwick after he'd saved us in 67 ?

My first game v Coventry 69/70 26000 and second one in the same season v Spurs 13000 (we won 2-1) so the writing was on the wall about low crowds then.
If I remember correctly the club decided to spend in the late sixties a lot of dosh on the then training facilities at Washington thus depriving the team of investment.
And yes I was at the 5-2 Swindon game and I also went to see us play the British 11 Olympic team. All amateurs. We lost.
Am sure theres footage of the Spurs game. Did Gordon Harris score a penna ?

McColl was a disaster.
The board made a mistake in not giving job to George Hardwick after he'd saved us in 67 ?

Allegedly, he was caught bending a secretary over the boardroom table (I make no claim as to the veracity of this allegation), which made his position, as it were, untenable.

Allegedly, he was caught bending a secretary over the boardroom table (I make no claim as to the veracity of this allegation), which made his position, as it were, untenable.

So all the board members were paragons of virtue eh ?
Didnt McColl get rid of King Charles plus the catholic element or was it just speculation ?

Didnt McColl get rid of King Charles plus the catholic element or was it just speculation ?

I think if Hardwick had taken the secretary to a hotel he'd have been OK; it was not so much what he did as where he did it. McColl did indeed drop all the Catholics in the team (Monty, Charlie and Nick Sharkey at least), and, as this was before the days of freedom of contract under the old retain and transfer system, they had to moulder in the reserves as the board were at least sensible enough not to transfer them out.

I think if Hardwick had taken the secretary to a hotel he'd have been OK; it was not so much what he did as where he did it. McColl did indeed drop all the Catholics in the team (Monty, Charlie and Nick Sharkey at least), and, as this was before the days of freedom of contract under the old retain and transfer system, they had to moulder in the reserves as the board were at least sensible enough not to transfer them out.
Didnt he sign the like of Ralph Brand and George Kinnell ?

Apparently at that time we had Prod and Catholic factions in the changing room which lead to CH playing in the reserves

Back