Relegation 'hangover' Aug 70 - Jan' 73......

• Thread starter Deleted member 6830
  • Start date

There was just a feeling of hopelessness and frustration around the club in those times.
The Liverpool game which relegated us in ‘70 afterwards was probably the worst hooliganism I’ve ever witnessed from Sunderland fans.
There was a trail of destruction all the way over from Roker Park to the town, Barclay Court took a reet hammering, although it might have improved it!
The team then had youngsters like Billy Hughes and Dennis Tueart but really after the relegation it was just a struggle it wasn’t easy for those young lads at the time.
When Brown went there just seemed to be a release and every player just seemed to blossom under Stokoe especially those two.
I remember that night the atmosphere was red hot I was only 13 at the time in the Fulwell end blasting out the old songs and I recall walking back to Sunderland windows getting smashed cars getting damaged crazy night the next season was a eye opener especially Boro away in the Holgate before they realised what was going on 72 onwards never missed more that one match a season for 8 years hitchhiked to a few away Milwall first game of the Season West Brom , Bristol but usually Tennicks from Hebburn till I joined the Jarra Branch that left from the Crown and Anchor

sounded more than 16500 there tbh.

There is definitely footage about of SAFC 2 SPURS 1 in 1969 - maybe on THE BIG MATCH ??
Can someone hoy it up as its been on before as I just cant find it - googled it the lot but nee good:neutral:

Last edited by a moderator:

sounded more than 16500 there tbh.

There is definitely footage about of SAFC 2 SPURS 1 in 1969 - maybe on THE BIG MATCH ??
Can someone hoy it up as its been on before as I just cant find it - googled it the lot but nee good:neutral:

Can only find the 1969 Spurs away game on Youtube.

Back