References

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could really only pull of dodgy certs. with smaller companies with limited resources to check. Larger companies, especially those where high security is needed, are bound to check on authenticity of higher and further qualifications these days.
WWWrrrrong! About three quarters of applicants to the multinational I 'work' for submit the same cv but with their name scribbled out and a different one added. An Indian lad I worked with (forklift driver) once asked me to help him fill an application form in. When I pointed out that the minimum qualification was an Msc he replied 'Not a problem'. He didn't get that job but I bumped into him a few years down the line - head of HR for a Saudi drilling company. Worldwide, nobody cares as long as you are competent.

I believe they are looking for someone who can verify you went to a given institution and that your qualifications are valid. If the institution doesn't exist anymore, you might have to contact your local authority for advice.

I would also contact the company you are applying to for advice to explain your situation and it may be in your case, a second employment reference might do.

This kind of verification I'd only expect at graduate recruitment level, more often than not with American companies wishing to endure the degree certificate they have been presented with is bona fide.

I know of a case where an allegedly highly qualified engineer had been working for a US company for some years when they discovered he'd bought his degree certificate online. While he was able to do the job, his false degree certificate constituted a fraud and gross misconduct, with the company embarrased they hadn't picked up the fraud during pre-employment checks.

The company concerned then checked all further and higher level qualifications of all their employees to ensure no further fraud had been committed, these checks consisting of contacting said university or further education college for verification.
I've only been asked for proof of my qualifications once in my entire career and that was last year :eek:

I am busy filling in an application form and it wants two references, most recent employer, no bother. The other is school/college reference. I left school 30 years ago and doubt if there’s any staff still there from my time. What do you reckon I should put for this section?
Wilfy is this for the train driver ?:lol: will you be my reference
Edit ,,,it is read through

Last edited:
I'm amazed thought not surprised people still get away with shagging the boss for a promotion.

I'd have thought she'd have been discrete about it so others wouldn't know. Her name must be dirt given her colleagues and those under her (not literally) must know how she got the job.

Indeed - the other lasses in particular I her department were not impressed.

WWWrrrrong! About three quarters of applicants to the multinational I 'work' for submit the same cv but with their name scribbled out and a different one added. An Indian lad I worked with (forklift driver) once asked me to help him fill an application form in. When I pointed out that the minimum qualification was an Msc he replied 'Not a problem'. He didn't get that job but I bumped into him a few years down the line - head of HR for a Saudi drilling company. Worldwide, nobody cares as long as you are competent.

Obviously, we've had slightly different experiences. I've been to interviews where it was quite clear authenticity of qualifications and certifications were going to be checked.

Also, I found myself being asked to double-check online the qualifications of inspectors I was working and that was a little awkward.

This may have been because I worked in an environment where security became increasingly important. Our equipment heading for the middle East was identified as such that explosives could be concealed within.

Indeed - the other lasses in particular I her department were not impressed.
You mean they wish they'd thought of it? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am busy filling in an application form and it wants two references, most recent employer, no bother. The other is school/college reference. I left school 30 years ago and doubt if there’s any staff still there from my time. What do you reckon I should put for this section?
You changing jobs like wilfy lad?

Hahah maybe aye. Although this lass, how should I put it, had an advantage over most of the others. That made them more bitter I think.

If you mean what I think you mean, I believe the phrase on here is "pics". :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back