References

Wilfy

Striker
I am busy filling in an application form and it wants two references, most recent employer, no bother. The other is school/college reference. I left school 30 years ago and doubt if there’s any staff still there from my time. What do you reckon I should put for this section?

I believe they are looking for someone who can verify you went to a given institution and that your qualifications are valid. If the institution doesn't exist anymore, you might have to contact your local authority for advice.

I would also contact the company you are applying to for advice to explain your situation and it may be in your case, a second employment reference might do.

This kind of verification I'd only expect at graduate recruitment level, more often than not with American companies wishing to endure the degree certificate they have been presented with is bona fide.

I know of a case where an allegedly highly qualified engineer had been working for a US company for some years when they discovered he'd bought his degree certificate online. While he was able to do the job, his false degree certificate constituted a fraud and gross misconduct, with the company embarrased they hadn't picked up the fraud during pre-employment checks.

The company concerned then checked all further and higher level qualifications of all their employees to ensure no further fraud had been committed, these checks consisting of contacting said university or further education college for verification.

I am busy filling in an application form and it wants two references, most recent employer, no bother. The other is school/college reference. I left school 30 years ago and doubt if there’s any staff still there from my time. What do you reckon I should put for this section?
A training provider ideally from a related or/and recent course.

I managed over 600 staff but I was never allowed to produce a reference.
It had to come from the HR wasters and only contained facts not personal opinions.
I believe Derbyshire Council back in the 90s had to pay compensation to a company because of a glowing reference that was given to a member of staff they wanted shot of.

That's canny weird, school ffs.

My last employer used Experian to check through every single one of your references, it was unnecessarily intense.

I had HR badgering me saying they couldn't get a company to confirm that I'd done five days of freelance work there over seven years ago. Nee shit.

Last edited:
Tell them to fuck off

:eek:

I believe the stock response I've seen elsewhere on here is "Shit in their knicker drawer." :lol:

That's canny weird, school ffs.

My last employer used Experian to check through every single one of your references, it was unnecessarily intense.

I had HR badgering me saying they couldn't get a company to confirm that I'd done five days of freelance there over seven years ago. Nee shit.

Oh FFS!!! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
References are rarely used as a personality test these days as companies are scared shitless of being sued for defamation. Probably just to make sure you are who you say you are & not one of them foreign sorts.

It was ridiculous.

I had around a dozen places of work in the period they were asking for, and all the details I gave them were for people who no longer worked at those companies.

But given Experian is for credit checks, how would you use this to check references?

Back