References

I am busy filling in an application form and it wants two references, most recent employer, no bother. The other is school/college reference. I left school 30 years ago and doubt if there’s any staff still there from my time. What do you reckon I should put for this section?

Did you do you City and Guilds later in your career?

Could I act as a referee for the time I worked for you?

More of an employee > employer relationship.

Wilfy is a supportive people manager, standing over me to observe everything I did and even turning the car over when I asked. He was also good at settling invoices in the form of lovely chocolate.

What you going for, an apprenticeship? A second employer should suffice like.
He is 56 years old and a long standing member of Sunderland council (LIves in Newcastle) so an apprenticeship is not a good idea. Wilfy, can one of the prison screws not give you a hand?

I believe they are looking for someone who can verify you went to a given institution and that your qualifications are valid. If the institution doesn't exist anymore, you might have to contact your local authority for advice.

I would also contact the company you are applying to for advice to explain your situation and it may be in your case, a second employment reference might do.

This kind of verification I'd only expect at graduate recruitment level, more often than not with American companies wishing to endure the degree certificate they have been presented with is bona fide.

I know of a case where an allegedly highly qualified engineer had been working for a US company for some years when they discovered he'd bought his degree certificate online. While he was able to do the job, his false degree certificate constituted a fraud and gross misconduct, with the company embarrased they hadn't picked up the fraud during pre-employment checks.

The company concerned then checked all further and higher level qualifications of all their employees to ensure no further fraud had been committed, these checks consisting of contacting said university or further education college for verification.

I know a few people at a former company who lied about their qualifications to get a job. This was a reputable and very large company too. One of the lasses then went on to sleep with a prospective boss to get the job and then a later current boss to get a promotion a couple of years in.

I know a few people at a former company who lied about their qualifications to get a job. This was a reputable and very large company too. One of the lasses then went on to sleep with a prospective boss to get the job and then a later current boss to get a promotion a couple of years in.

I'm amazed thought not surprised people still get away with shagging the boss for a promotion.

I'd have thought she'd have been discrete about it so others wouldn't know. Her name must be dirt given her colleagues and those under her (not literally) must know how she got the job.

Did a courier job a few years ago for a friend of a friend of a friend based in Smogland.
Job was to collect an envelope at 8.30am from an estate agent in Liverpool and get it up to Smogland by lunch time. I just presumed it was some kind of house contract documents needed signing but the 'estate agent' was late arriving so my driver got asked in to wait whilst he sorted the documents out. He just logged on to his computer, produced a myriad of blank qualifications/certificates which he filled in with the punters name, printed off, squiggled a signature and shoved in an envelope.
Dodgy as owt, fake qualifications/certificates must be rife.

Did a courier job a few years ago for a friend of a friend of a friend based in Smogland.
Job was to collect an envelope at 8.30am from an estate agent in Liverpool and get it up to Smogland by lunch time. I just presumed it was some kind of house contract documents needed signing but the 'estate agent' was late arriving so my driver got asked in to wait whilst he sorted the documents out. He just logged on to his computer, produced a myriad of blank qualifications/certificates which he filled in with the punters name, printed off, squiggled a signature and shoved in an envelope.
Dodgy as owt, fake qualifications/certificates must be rife.

You could really only pull of dodgy certs. with smaller companies with limited resources to check. Larger companies, especially those where high security is needed, are bound to check on authenticity of higher and further qualifications these days.

Back