Referee

Rugby works with a different approach, almost as is the difference leads to a change in performance and culture.

Maybe if football tried similar the same would happen and you wouldn’t have to waste your life defending the indefensible. It must be exhausting given how poor refs are,

They are totally different sports man. Rugby much slower where as the odd decision can be explained..It's laughable you think fans will be more accepting of decisions if a ref explained why he gave it

Maybe if anybody involved in football had a grain of common sense and realised the inevitable mistakes will happen and have happened for 100 years and were sympathetic that refs have to deal with cheating,diving footballers every week.

We could move forward, instead you have people screaming abuse from the very first minute because a borderline throw in might have not gone their way
What a pessimistic view of refereeing, that there is no possible way for it to improve so people should just accept the incompetence.

No other profession works this way.
They are totally different sports man. Rugby much slower where as the odd decision can be explained..It's laughable you think fans will be more accepting of decisions if a ref explained why he gave it
So it’s just some weird sports eugenics where football fans are evil and rugby fans are virtuous?

Absolute rubbish. One approach works, the other one doesn’t. I don’t know why you would be so committed to not trying to improve things.

Last edited:
What a pessimistic view of refereeing, that there is no possible way for it to improve so people should just accept the incompetence.

So it’s just some weird sports eugenics where football fans are evil and rugby fans are virtuous?

Absolute rubbish. One approach works, the other one doesn’t. I don’t know why you would be so committed to not trying to improve things.

You think refs start explaining decisions fans, players and managers accept them like they do it rugby? Absolute horseshit

One works because the culture well embedded to accept a explanation from park fields to top level, another doesn’t because the culture well embedded to blame the one honest person on the field.

If one profession after over 100 years has shown without a shadow of a doubt that mistakes are inevitable you work out a way to help them, not constantly slaughter them week after week.

Well you do if you look at the bigger picture of why these mistakes happen, rather than trotting out the same bollocks year and year decade after decade that they all incompetent.

How long does it take to work out it’s the job itself not the individuals involved 10, 20, 100, 1000 years!!!

Last edited:
in rugby you can have a over a dozen men trying to get the ball, all lying on top of each other pushing and shoving, the rugby refs to do ok keeping an aye on that in the main.
i think the big difference in officiating the 2 sports is that in rugby, honesty and fair play is the absolute cornerstone of the game from the lowest levels right to the top. i wish the same could be said for football.

in rugby you can have a over a dozen men trying to get the ball, all lying on top of each other pushing and shoving, the rugby refs to do ok keeping an aye on that in the main.
i think the big difference in officiating the 2 sports is that in rugby, honesty and fair play is the absolute cornerstone of the game from the lowest levels right to the top. i wish the same could be said for football.
Well exactly if people can’t see players diving, feigning injury, makes it more difficult for refs then I give up.

It’s a total lack of common sense that lacks in these discussions.

Many posters abuse them and call them every week, yet unbelievably fail to grasp that the reason more capable people might take up the job and hence improve what they want is probably down to people like them talking the shit they have been!!

I mean who in their right mind wants to be a ref and have ignorant fuckers shouting abuse at them for almost every decision

Last edited:
Disagree. The difference is that diving in football gains you an advantage, it doesn’t really in rugby. Rugby players “bend the rules” just as much, it’s just in a different way

Well exactly if people can’t see players diving, feigning injury, makes it more difficult for refs then I give up.

It’s a total lack of common sense that lacks in these discussions.

Many posters abuse them and call them every week, yet unbelievably fail to grasp that the reason less capable people might take up the job and hence improve what they want is probably down to people like them taking the shit they have been!!
i sort of agree with what you're saying but the refs don't help themselves either. don't forget these refs have been supposedly trained to the highest standard yet repeatedly drop monumental clangers. they're not just random blokes picked up off the street, they're (at the highest level) professional and attend numerous training courses. i would presume these training courses include how to spot cheating and how to stop time wasting gamesmanship yet it's worse than ever.

it's obvious most players have no respect for them so that by default trickles down to the fans.

i honestly think the standard of refereeing dropped massively when fergie was at man utd and it became normalised to pressurise referees to favour the big clubs, his in particular.
Disagree. The difference is that diving in football gains you an advantage, it doesn’t really in rugby. Rugby players “bend the rules” just as much, it’s just in a different way

Last edited:
They do get scrutinised by impartial and official governing bodies. Explaining themselves to a bunch of virtual 6 year olds who have a tantrum for every borderline decision that doesn't go their way would be an utter farce. Have you seen the number of times managers and players go absolutely mental when they don't get decisions they shouldn't have had anyway. The culture around attitudes to officiating is an absolute mess. In rugby they understand that the referee has to make decisions on incidents where decisions could go either way. Football just can't seem to come to grips with that.
True enough but I thought that you would have been incommunicado after the Mansfield result.

True enough but I thought that you would have been incommunicado after the Mansfield result.

Oh you know me, I'm always tempted by a good old ref thread. Like a moth to a buzzing lamp.

At least I got to see some decent football for the first time in years yesterday. Just a shame it was the opposition. Nothing more nauseating than a huge away following celebrating a goal in your stadium. It's the ultimate violation.

Back