Referee

Say for instance a player's goes down with possibly a broken leg, ankle of sorts. Now I'm certainly not saying that happened yesterday but are you saying the game shouldn't be stopped cos it's not a head injury? There's all sorts of scenarios where a player could need urgent treatment whew it doesn't involve a head injury. I get it's frustrating as fuck as the vast majority of time the player is fine but ultimately an official is always going to air on the side of caution when a player stops down. As with the vast majority of things on a football field the official is not going to be 100% sure of what has happened

If a player is absolutely crippled and it’s not a head injury mate, then yes of course I think it should be stopped.

That wasn’t what happened yesterday though, if their player was rolling around clutching his leg and he explained he had to stop it, that’s frustrating, but understandable. What goes beyond that, is when he knows fine well it’s not a head injury, our players know it’s not and Dan Neil tells him as much, and he then starts pointing to his own head, feigning it’s a head injury to save face.

That’s the pathetic part I can’t accept Rob, we could debate all day about rules, what’s right, what’s wrong, how hard it is, all of which I accept. Outright lying about an incident to save face is just pure incompetence.

The time added on thing is baffling. They made a big push at the start of this season to knock time wasting on the head but after a few weeks of 10+ mins time added they have just given up and let things go back to how it was.

The time added on thing is baffling. They made a big push at the start of this season to knock time wasting on the head but after a few weeks of 10+ mins time added they have just given up and let things go back to how it was.
The Leicester game was even worse, they took the piss with it second half and they only added four mins!

The cultural difference is down to referees being open and transparent in rugby, explaining their decisions/mistakes instead of strutting around with their nose in the air pretending they are always right.
No the difference is when a rugby ref explains something it’s accepted.

When a football one does nobody does and just leads to more arguments/debates.
The very reason why refs may just may stick their nose in the air will be because their stick of abuse game after game for simply giving honest decisions.

Last edited:
That's absolute shite. You think if refs explain decisions in football people just accept them?
I think they’d get more respect if they were transparent about their decisions, but they refuse. Having refs in rugby mic’d up and willing to explain makes a big difference.

Football referees don’t want to be publicly accountable, they won’t come out and explain after the games and you see them refusing to talk to the players on the field when it’s clear they’ve made a mistake. Not being able to admit it is part of the issue. People get frustrated when you think you are above scrutiny.

I think they’d get more respect if they were transparent about their decisions, but they refuse. Having refs in rugby mic’d up and willing to explain makes a big difference.

Football referees don’t want to be publicly accountable, they won’t come out and explain after the games and you see them refusing to talk to the players on the field when it’s clear they’ve made a mistake. Not being able to admit it is part of the issue. People get frustrated when you think you are above scrutiny.

They don't refuse. It's just not policy to do it. When do you see rugby refs come out and explain bad decisions after games? Your living in cloud cuckoo land if you think refs coming out after games and trying to explain away obvious mistakes would help..You never see players come out after games and explain fuck ups

They don't refuse. It's just not policy to do it. When do you see rugby refs come out and explain bad decisions after games? Your living in cloud cuckoo land if you think refs coming out after games and trying to explain away obvious mistakes would help..You never see players come out after games and explain fuck ups
Jobe apologized last week for his mistake at Southampton.

They do get scrutinised by impartial and official governing bodies. Explaining themselves to a bunch of virtual 6 year olds who have a tantrum for every borderline decision that doesn't go their way would be an utter farce. Have you seen the number of times managers and players go absolutely mental when they don't get decisions they shouldn't have had anyway. The culture around attitudes to officiating is an absolute mess. In rugby they understand that the referee has to make decisions on incidents where decisions could go either way. Football just can't seem to come to grips with that.

Last edited:
I'm not moving goalposts. What good would it do to have a ref come out Infront of the cameras after a game and try to explain what was clearly an obvious error? Like I say you never see players having to do it because it solves nowt and ultimately humiliates them
Your being absolutely ridiculous now like.

No they will not, the culture well embedded and has been for years.

If fans/players accepted the decisions in the first place and not abused them we would not be where we are!

The position we in now where refs may not explain decisions is they know footballers/managers/fans far too childish to accept them unlike other sports.

Played local football for years and seen refs explain many a decision, not once have a seen a footballer say fair enough thanks for explaining I respect that!!

Last edited:
No they will not, the culture well embedded and has been for years.

If fans/players accepted the decisions in the first place and not abused them we would not be where we are!
Rugby works with a different approach, almost as is the difference leads to a change in performance and culture.

Maybe if football tried similar the same would happen and you wouldn’t have to waste your life defending the indefensible. It must be exhausting given how poor refs are,

Rugby works with a different approach, almost as is the difference leads to a change in performance and culture.

Maybe if football tried similar the same would happen and you wouldn’t have to waste your life defending the indefensible. It must be exhausting given how poor refs are,
Maybe if anybody involved in football had a grain of common sense and realised the inevitable mistakes will happen and have happened for 100 years and were sympathetic that refs have to deal with cheating,diving footballers every week.

We could move forward, instead you have people screaming abuse from the very first minute because a borderline throw in might have not gone their way

Back