Referee

You reckon.?
Just read back to what you have posted yourself.
And go to bed, you"ve had enough drink for one day.
Yes I do. Just read back all of your replies on this thread. Utterly embarrassing and a reason why literally nobody has liked them. I'm off the drink this weekend thank you very much.

It's frustrating as fuck when the game is stopped when players are clutching around about there heads. It easy to look back in hindsight saying ref shouldn't stop it but ultimately he's now going to be 100% sure of what's gone on and will always air on the side of caution. Players undoubtedly use this and will stop down knowing eventually the ref will stop the game. Personally I'd blame the culture that's now in the game rather than the official. Imagine the uproar if he thought fuck it and let things go and something serious had happened. Like I say it is frustrating cos the majority of times the player is essentially ok
Maybe after every time the game is stopped for a head injury then the player concerned should be made to come off the pitch and be checked, that would soon stop them pretending it's a head injury.

That's down to the two sports cultures that. They make plenty of mistakes but players accept them

There’s making mistakes Rob and then there’s just outright lying to cover your incompetence.

The latter is simply unacceptable.
It's frustrating as fuck when the game is stopped when players are clutching around about there heads. It easy to look back in hindsight saying ref shouldn't stop it but ultimately he's now going to be 100% sure of what's gone on and will always air on the side of caution. Players undoubtedly use this and will stop down knowing eventually the ref will stop the game. Personally I'd blame the culture that's now in the game rather than the official. Imagine the uproar if he thought fuck it and let things go and something serious had happened. Like I say it is frustrating cos the majority of times the player is essentially ok

On the second one in particular their player is not holding his head. He quite clearly went down as if he pulled something and was clutching that area. Dan Neil came across and gestures to the ref he shouldn’t stop it because it’s not a head injury.

To save face the ref pointed to his head, the players and fans reacted because it was clear as day he knew it wasn’t a head injury. It was things like that, that makes it such a pathetic performance.

I completely get it’s a hard job, I completely get they’ll miss things from time to time, I completely get the culture and the other debates had around them. What I don’t accept is sheer incompetence to the point of lying to save face.

Last edited:
The West stand linesman haircut was keeping us amused
Wtf did he ask for when he went to the barbers
He shouldve went to the opticians instead

There’s making mistakes Rob and then there’s just outright lying to cover your incompetence.

The latter is simply unacceptable.

On the second one in particular their player is not holding his head. He quite clearly went down as if he pulled something and was clutching that area. Dan Neil came across and gestures to the ref he shouldn’t stop it because it’s not a head injury.

To save face the ref pointed to his head, the players and fans reacted because it was clear as day he knew it wasn’t a head injury. It was things like that, that makes it such a pathetic performance.

I completely get it’s a hard job, I completely get they’ll miss things from time to time, I completely get the culture and the other debates had around them. What I don’t accept is sheer incompetence to the point of lying to save face.

Say for instance a player's goes down with possibly a broken leg, ankle of sorts. Now I'm certainly not saying that happened yesterday but are you saying the game shouldn't be stopped cos it's not a head injury? There's all sorts of scenarios where a player could need urgent treatment whew it doesn't involve a head injury. I get it's frustrating as fuck as the vast majority of time the player is fine but ultimately an official is always going to air on the side of caution when a player stops down. As with the vast majority of things on a football field the official is not going to be 100% sure of what has happened

Last edited:
Ref was bad. For both sides really. He wasn't even close to being any good. Thought he enjoyed the spotlight personally. But we move on.

I don’t think the referee had a very good game, and I think he got the two stoppages wrong, but despite what loads of people seem to be confidently asserting here it DOES NOT say in the laws of the game that he can only stop play for head injuries. He is supposed to stop playing for serious injuries, and not for ones that aren’t.

They have guidelines that say they should err on the side of caution for head injuries, and rightly so, but that’s just one of the factors you need to throw into the mix, along with the immediacy of any goal scoring opportunity, and where the ball is on the pitch as regards to whether you can give it back to the team in possession via the uncontested drop ball. If you want to say the ref made an error of judgement under the laws and guidelines as they stand, I would totally agree. If you insist the law didn’t allow him to stop play, you are just ignorant.

As for the idea that the clock stops when the ball is out of play, I mean seriously? One of the most active debates in football around time wasting is the idea that we might introduce a system where the clock stops when the ball is out of play, as it does in some other sports. That should suggest even to the hardest of understanding that it doesn’t at the moment. The referee was wrong not to add more time on, but he wasn’t wrong because the clock stops. It doesn’t.

Back