Red card / yellow card / foul / no foul?

• Thread starter Deleted member 43869
  • Start date
I'm not sure what you've seen but are you sure if you look at it again?

From what I see of the follow through, Tarkowski's foot is well above ankle height with his studs facing Richarlison's leg. As I mentioned, it's more to do with Richarlison pulling his right leg back in anticipation of being clattered into that stopped Tarkowski's foot going into Richarlison's shin and potential serious injury.

Logon or register to see this image

Ah, OK, that clip in the OP link really mistells the story, doesn't look raised, doesn't look like he got the ball. This is more like the angle the ref got and I'm now coming down on the side, given the force of the whole move, of that's a red.

Excessive force is a kop out, to get the ball he had to be going in at that speed our he would not of got a touch on the ball, if we are saying we are not allowed to tackle like that because it was hard then ok I’ve no problem as long as every tackle that has a bit of umph about it is a sending off, there would be a game of 7 a side going on some weeks if that’s the case.
You cannot not put a tackle in because you might hit the player, if football ever gets to that stage then I feel sorry for the people watching as the game week in week out at the top level
Excessive force is anything but a kop out. It's dangerous play. It was back in the day when tackles were 'allowed' and it is now.
I feel sorry for anyone who thinks a tackle is perfect because they won the ball and "nail" the man. Yes contact is inevitable in all tackles but anyone going into a tackle to win the ball and take the man is a bit of a * * * *

I suppose there isn't really a right or wrong answer. If you think football is about physical dominance and appetite for battle, then this sort of challenge should be legal, if you want to protect the technical side and prioritise the safety of the players, you want to see it banned.
Good tackle, the mere suggestion of a red is rediculous.

Unless you have an interest in preventing serious injury.

I suppose there isn't really a right or wrong answer. If you think football is about physical dominance and appetite for battle, then this sort of challenge should be legal, if you want to protect the technical side and prioritise the safety of the players, you want to see it banned.

Unless you have an interest in preventing serious injury.
Should we set a speed limit as well to prevent serious injuries? Jumping etc?

Elite level players leaves a fraction of a second to make a good challenge. Wes browns was a worse tackle than this and that red was universally hammered.
Ball was played on to him, he didn't even win the ball.
You've lost me there.

Last edited:

Elite level players leaves a fraction of a second to make a good challenge. Wes browns was a worse tackle than this and that red was universally hammered.

You've lost me there.
The tackle the threads about pumpkin

Come on, don't be silly, there's a balance somewhere in the middle. You'd only have to replicate that challenge a dozen times before you broke a leg.

Come on, don't be silly, there's a balance somewhere in the middle. You'd only have to replicate that challenge a dozen times before you broke a leg.
I'm not trying to be silly, aggression has a place in football. He won the ball through a full blooded challenge, there are many ways to break your leg while playing.

Lee cattermole tackle on Luka Modric case in point, one of the best tackles I have seen, God knows how it didnt break a leg and that would have been really unfortunate.

Are we suggesting that aggression should be taken out of the game?

I'm not trying to be silly, aggression has a place in football. He won the ball through a full blooded challenge, there are many ways to break your leg while playing.

Lee cattermole tackle on Luka Modric case in point, one of the best tackles I have seen, God knows how it didnt break a leg and that would have been really unfortunate.

Are we suggesting that aggression should be taken out of the game?

There are many ways to break a leg but surely you can see that there are degrees of risk. I'm not saying you're viewpoint is wrong. If you don't believe that measures should be taken to avoid serious injury then that's an acceptable viewpoint. A lot of people want a game where there are no limits on aggression. I'm not in a position to tell people what the game should look like. All I'm saying is that tackles like that one present a high probability of serious injury.

There are many ways to break a leg but surely you can see that there are degrees of risk. I'm not saying you're viewpoint is wrong. If you don't believe that measures should be taken to avoid serious injury then that's an acceptable viewpoint. A lot of people want a game where there are no limits on aggression. I'm not in a position to tell people what the game should look like. All I'm saying is that tackles like that one present a high probability of serious injury.

I think technically it isn't a foul so will come down to intent as opposed to probability. I dont think he has meant to seriously hurt him and he has won the ball, so for me, no foul.

Excessive force is anything but a kop out. It's dangerous play. It was back in the day when tackles were 'allowed' and it is now.
I feel sorry for anyone who thinks a tackle is perfect because they won the ball and "nail" the man. Yes contact is inevitable in all tackles but anyone going into a tackle to win the ball and take the man is a bit of a * * * *
I would say a lot of people who had the choice to take man and ball in a tackle would absolutely take that, tacking is a art form that is getting pushed out of the game and the game will be a lot worse off without it, have you never went into a challenge knowing you can get man and ball at the same time? Not for one second do you think about a injury to the opponent you just think about giving him the feeling he has been clattered and done by your timing and strength, if that makes people stars as you have put it I would think there is a lot of stars out there.

I would say a lot of people who had the choice to take man and ball in a tackle would absolutely take that, tacking is a art form that is getting pushed out of the game and the game will be a lot worse off without it, have you never went into a challenge knowing you can get man and ball at the same time? Not for one second do you think about a injury to the opponent you just think about giving him the feeling he has been clattered and done by your timing and strength, if that makes people stars as you have put it I would think there is a lot of stars out there.
No I've never even went into a challenge knowing I'm going to hurt someone. People who do are utter ****s

Back