Record Players

It's great to see and great to see sales of anything up but can't understand it personally.
I’m not trying to convert you to vinyl or even CDs but it’s lovely to have and hold something tangible. Streaming from Spotify makes music just throwaway, but actually having a record, especially a lovely old gatefold, where some effort went into the design and layout, makes the whole experience better. And I’ve not even gone on about how it sounds better and as the artist intended.
I personally can enjoy a song played on the car radio but actually playing a record and looking at the sleeve makes the whole experience better, for me at least.

I’m now going to get pelters from the likes of Gilly for not being a “real” man😀.

I'm not against vinyl, it's great, it's just I'm an old twat now who likes the idea of carrying around his whole collection in his pocket.
90 minutes of my day is commuting, so I have Spotify. :lol:

When I listen to music at home though I prefer sitting down and putting a proper physical record on. The whole experience just feels a lot more satisfying, in a way pressing the play button on your phone doesn’t.

I’m not trying to convert you to vinyl or even CDs but it’s lovely to have and hold something tangible. Streaming from Spotify makes music just throwaway, but actually having a record, especially a lovely old gatefold, where some effort went into the design and layout, makes the whole experience better. And I’ve not even gone on about how it sounds better and as the artist intended.
I personally can enjoy a song played on the car radio but actually playing a record and looking at the sleeve makes the whole experience better, for me at least.

I’m now going to get pelters from the likes of Gilly for not being a “real” man😀.
I used to feel like that. Loved everything about vinyl but sold my collection back in the 90s when I got a fine at court for 'something' . Loved it when the iPod came out and never looked back. The idea of having everything there and then is just brilliant and being able to just play something there and then... it makes sense dunnit?

90 minutes of my day is commuting, so I have Spotify. :lol:

When I listen to music at home though I prefer sitting down and putting a proper physical record on. The whole experience just feels a lot more satisfying, in a way pressing the play button on your phone doesn’t.
100%, I like nothing more than sitting in my chair with a cold one and a few records. I also obliterate the life out of Spotify. Both have their place.

Bought a vinyl from Hot Rats last night, got it home, stuck it on and it was skipping all over the place.

Took it back to the shop saying it was defective, but when the lad stuck it on his record player it was absolutely fine. Bit embarrassing really, as it looks like the needle on mine isn’t light enough.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, instead of buying a lighter needle I’m just going to buy a new record player.

What do you use/recommend?
Told you not to 45 on 78 speed.

I used to feel like that. Loved everything about vinyl but sold my collection back in the 90s when I got a fine at court for 'something' . Loved it when the iPod came out and never looked back. The idea of having everything there and then is just brilliant and being able to just play something there and then... it makes sense dunnit?
Oh sure, you can carry one device holding 100000 songs or even, if connected to the internet, have access to all the songs ever recorded, ever. I completely see why people do this and I take my music on my phone when I’m out of the house but, for me, it makes music disposable and I think that’s somewhat sad. But I’m lucky, I have enough money and space to have records and a wonderful system to play them on. For me listening to music, as I am now, is one of life’s great pleasures.

Entertainment by the Gang of Four should you be interested.

The system I looked at in Richer today would have cost just north of £1400 ..Rokon? turntable

Need a while to think it over

Went and bought 4 new albums instead haha

Was it Roksan? Lovely English gear.
Doesn't have a red light apparently.
Will be an attesssa turntable I imagine, Richer Sounds had them for 499 quid recently which, to be honest, is a bargain. 900 quid on an amp and speakers should be plenty to have a great system, more challenging to get a CD player and tuner as well for that money though.

Will be an attesssa turntable I imagine, Richer Sounds had them for 499 quid recently which, to be honest, is a bargain. 900 quid on an amp and speakers should be plenty to have a great system, more challenging to get a CD player and tuner as well for that money though.
Yeah, i covet the Blak amp and cd player but i need both kidneys.
😁

Was it Roksan? Lovely English gear.
Doesn't have a red light apparently.
Yes I think that was it.
It was 499 or if we join the club 100 off
What amp and speakers?
TBH mate Iam not sure

Last edited:

Back