Record Players

Thurston

Winger
Bought a vinyl from Hot Rats last night, got it home, stuck it on and it was skipping all over the place.

Took it back to the shop saying it was defective, but when the lad stuck it on his record player it was absolutely fine. Bit embarrassing really, as it looks like the needle on mine isn’t light enough.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, instead of buying a lighter needle I’m just going to buy a new record player.

What do you use/recommend?

Sorry if I’m telling you how to suck eggs, is the counter balance not just a bit out?
Nah mate, checked it. And every other vinyl I’ve put on has been fine other than this record in particular, so it looks like it’s definitely the needle. Like I said, when I went in the shop the pressing was absolutely fine too, so can’t knock that.

To be fair I’ve had it a good few years now, so could do with looking to replace it, anyway.

Bought a vinyl from Hot Rats last night, got it home, stuck it on and it was skipping all over the place.

Took it back to the shop saying it was defective, but when the lad stuck it on his record player it was absolutely fine. Bit embarrassing really, as it looks like the needle on mine isn’t light enough.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, instead of buying a lighter needle I’m just going to buy a new record player.

What do you use/recommend?

turntable? depending on your budget. audio technica seem to do some canny ones for about £200

richer sounds would help you out

What's your budget (tunables can cost from £50 to £20,000) and are you looking for a turntable only i.e. you have a separate amplifier and speakers, or are you looking for an all in one job?

The is/was one of these being sold in Hot Rats - it was mine. The lid is a bit scratched, but plays perfectly.
Is it? Well if it’s the same one at least I know the vinyl/record/LP I bought last night will play properly.
I was going to say this. Just stick a pound coin on the head of the arm. It will work no problem.

Go on just try it see if it works. You can still buy a new one but want to see if this works.
Found a pound coin, and just did this out of due diligence. It didn’t work. :(

Last edited:

Back