Record Players

Bought a vinyl from Hot Rats last night, got it home, stuck it on and it was skipping all over the place.

Took it back to the shop saying it was defective, but when the lad stuck it on his record player it was absolutely fine. Bit embarrassing really, as it looks like the needle on mine isn’t light enough.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, instead of buying a lighter needle I’m just going to buy a new record player.

What do you use/recommend?
Technics SL1200/1210.

You do realise that happens on every record player unless you clean your records properly?
The last one I had didn't do it, but I suppose I could put that down to not using it a great deal.

Anyway I take my records in the bath with me all the time so they're clean as a whistle.

Bought a vinyl from Hot Rats last night, got it home, stuck it on and it was skipping all over the place.

Took it back to the shop saying it was defective, but when the lad stuck it on his record player it was absolutely fine. Bit embarrassing really, as it looks like the needle on mine isn’t light enough.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, instead of buying a lighter needle I’m just going to buy a new record player.

What do you use/recommend?
Always fancied one of these. But to be honest streaming and downloading has won

Nirvana Greatest Hits. Was just a cheap impulse purchase, fit the mood after the first couple of days back at work after Christmas. :lol:

Yeah mate. Some good options coming up on this thread.
So all the other records play fine, it's just the one that's problematic? If so could just be some sort of pressing fault.

Look at me, I can afford 2 record players. Pathetic
i've got 7 :oops: :oops: :oops:
Always fancied one of these. But to be honest streaming and downloading has won

looks a good un

i had a project, about 10 plus years ago. but it was one where you had to change the belt, to go between 33 3/3 and 45. absolute pain. good to see that one is better equipped...

Last edited:
i've got 7 :oops: :oops: :oops:

looks a good un

i had a project, about 10 plus years ago. but it was one where you had to change the belt, to go between 33 3/3 and 45. absolute pain. good to see that one is better equipped...
The belt changing when you've had a good drink was infuriating if you didn't get it quite right :lol: I'm better at it now but can almost guarantee when playing random records each one will be a different speed to the last.

Latest/Trendiest fetish is Cassettes, 100,000 sold last year.

Sadly there's no slew of accessories to be bought to maintain your tapes, grab a pencil, or tiny finger, and you're sorted.

^works for cassettes as well.
Don't miss those days mate, the sound going all funny then a length of tape wrapped around the intestines of my ghetto blaster.

I think it’s just for kitsch/novelty value. Much easier to stream/download music and it doesn’t take up any space.
Reminds me of an ex-girlfriend I had years ago who had a theory that there’s two types of men:

Those who like to go out and bring loads of dead stuff back to their caves, and those who prefer to stay in the cave and look after the kids.

Ergo, filling up your physical space with loads of objects which can’t answer back is more manly.

Back