Random cricket stuff

We had a canny side at South Hylton school when I was there - a few of us ended up playing for South Hylton CC in the Durham Coast League before moving on when the club folded a few years later.

I used to play for East Rainton in the NEDL so never played there as an adult. Didn't the ground suffer a lot with vandalism? Was there a ground at Pyrex anarl?

I used to play for East Rainton in the NEDL so never played there as an adult. Didn't the ground suffer a lot with vandalism? Was there a ground at Pyrex anarl?
Had a hell of a lot of trouble with vandalism - brand new toilet block trashed, repaired, trashed again. Cutter hut was set on fire and exploded when the petrol etc went up.

Wickets prepared on a Friday night were mysteriously sprayed with diesel, bleach or weedkiller the same evening.

Petitions every year initiated from the houses overlooking the ground to have the club shut down - despite all of the houses overlooking the ground being the first ones bought when the estate was built , 60 or more years after the cricket club was formed.

Eventually the money, and the will of the remaining members, ran out and the club folded.

There was a ground at Pyrex - SHCC approached them to use their facilities but moves were already afoot to sell the place and build the Maling Park housing estate.

When did you play? May recognise your name from a few battles with my former club over the years. Unless you actually are called Paddy O’Dors

When did you play? May recognise your name from a few battles with my former club over the years. Unless you actually are called Paddy O’Dors

82-86ish. Names I remember, Cummings (dad and son) McKnight, Napier, Quarmby, Glendenning. Others will come. I was a bit part player really cos I was quite young.

Can remember playing at Filtrona, Monkseaton, Simonside, Bill Quay, Tantobie and Coles Cranes off the top of me heed.

82-86ish. Names I remember, Cummings (dad and son) McKnight, Napier, Quarmby, Glendenning. Others will come. I was a bit part player really cos I was quite young.

Can remember playing at Filtrona, Monkseaton, Simonside, Bill Quay, Tantobie and Coles Cranes off the top of me heed.
I played alongside a lad called Fred Napier at Houghton Cricket Club for a couple of years - opening bat. He started at East Rainton alongside his Dad - also called Fred.

I was early to mid 2000’s so different eras. Recall playing at Tantobie too, an interesting place!

I played alongside a lad called Fred Napier at Houghton Cricket Club for a couple of years - opening bat. He started at East Rainton alongside his Dad - also called Fred.

Yeah, it was his dad. Can remember his son too, he was maybe a few years younger than me. His dad was wk, had a moustache iirc. Decent batsman

East Rainton was a good friendly club. Facilities not the best! Groundsman was an old boy who reckoned he played there when they were called Hazard Colliery.

Yeah, it was his dad. Can remember his son too, he was maybe a few years younger than me. His dad was wk, had a moustache iirc. Decent batsman

East Rainton was a good friendly club. Facilities not the best! Groundsman was an old boy who reckoned he played there when they were called Hazard Colliery.

They were the top side in the NEDCL in early 2000's, club I was at (Aycliffe) had a bit of a rivalry with them as we were probably the next best team but even when we'd beat ER in the league we'd end up throwing it away by losing a daft game elsewhere!

They were the top side in the NEDCL in early 2000's, club I was at (Aycliffe) had a bit of a rivalry with them as we were probably the next best team but even when we'd beat ER in the league we'd end up throwing it away by losing a daft game elsewhere!

They've always been a decent side. I think people played for them because of friendly relaxed air about the place. I used to get a bit envious of other places we went to having luxuries such as running water and electricity.

Good bat Fred Napier junior

Some good stuff on the ER website about the history

Last edited:
Good bat Fred Napier junior
He was indeed.

I can remember one season where Houghton first's average score, batting first, over the season was about 220-230. And that included one game at Silksworth where we were rattled out for 21 :eek::oops: - Keith Trotter took 8 for nowt. In the vast majority of cases though, our declaration was made with no wickets down. Fred scored 1299 runs that year and the other opener, Graame Flaxen, scored 1399.

Thee rest of us just got severe pad rash waiting to go in.

He was indeed.

I can remember one season where Houghton first's average score, batting first, over the season was about 220-230. And that included one game at Silksworth where we were rattled out for 21 :eek::oops: - Keith Trotter took 8 for nowt. In the vast majority of cases though, our declaration was made with no wickets down. Fred scored 1299 runs that year and the other opener, Graame Flaxen, scored 1399.

Thee rest of us just got severe pad rash waiting to go in.

Wasn't Trotter quick as

Spoke to Flacker the other day on FB best captain Houghton ever had

Wasn't Trotter quick as

Spoke to Flacker the other day on FB best captain Houghton ever had
Trotski was medium quick - not as quick as the likes of Keith Chapman - but he was accurate and moved the ball both ways. Really good bowler even on flat tracks. On a, shall we say, bowler-friendly surface like Silksworth was back then, he was a real handful.

Flacka's a good mate of mine and used to see him most Friday's pre-lockdown. You're right, he was Houghton's best captain and is up there with the best I've played under.

Trotski was medium quick - not as quick as the likes of Keith Chapman - but he was accurate and moved the ball both ways. Really good bowler even on flat tracks. On a, shall we say, bowler-friendly surface like Silksworth was back then, he was a real handful.

Flacka's a good mate of mine and used to see him most Friday's pre-lockdown. You're right, he was Houghton's best captain and is up there with the best I've played under.

Chapman was who I was thinking of isn’t he still playing as a spinner

Was involved at Houghton when we won the league good team

Dale and Glen F
Ian H ( still playing )
Andrew R

To name just a few

Chapman was who I was thinking of isn’t he still playing as a spinner

Was involved at Houghton when we won the league good team

Dale and Glen F
Ian H ( still playing )
Andrew R

To name just a few
Used to see Ian regularly - he lived just along the road from my Mam. He's one of the main men at Philly theses days, isn't he?

Haven't seen Dale or Glen for years, nor Robbo.

Did your dad play a couple of times that season ?
I remember a waist high sliding tackle-esque stop on a ball at South North he successfully pulled off!!haha
Yes Ian plays a bit 3rd team see he around his lad is a good bat

Am friends with AR on FB he is doing well
Ask AR about when he got chased down the first hole fairway at Houghton or about a door being stood in a hole dug in his front garden, with ‘Robbing bastard’ written on it :)

Last edited:
The only 6 I ever hit, at any standard, was a lovely straight shot over mid-on.
Shame it was a miss-hit. Was supposed to go along the floor!

Back